• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0l Swap and Flywheel ???

NoAZ68

Loc.
Northern AZ
Hi All,

Am putting a '90 5.0l Mustang motor in my '68. Am going to use my 3 spd for awhile until my ZF :) Am pulling off F.I. and going with a Q-jet. This is a daily driver but I do have a couple of ???

1.) best manifold and cam with Q-jet (think weiand stealth or edelbrock performer).
2.) Will I be able yo use my mechanical fuel pump w/this timing cover.

and most important...
3.) I need a standard flywheel for this motor. Someone told me that I can go with a bigger truck ('89 f-150 w/302) flywheel and use an 11-inch clutch.
a. is this true?
b. will I be able to re-use my stock 11-inch clutch?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Alex

Loc.
Indiana
Well all I know for fact is that engine has a different balance than the 302 of old. so I would make sure to use the flywheel out of a newer truck. Mechanical fuel pump will need an eccentric behind the timing cover on the cam end, this motor probly does not have one. Keep in mind the radiator hoses are gona be opposite so you may just want to use the old timing cover with a pump mount on it so you can use the cast water pump with the correct in and out. Or you may already have the radiator fixed? Also the water pump on the 90 will rotate the opposite direction due to serpentine drive, you will need to remember that.

You probly knew all that, im just bored. ;D

OP
OP
N

NoAZ68

Loc.
Northern AZ
Thanks for the reply. I just purchased the BCB h2o pump and fan along with an a/c elim. pulley. I was told that (since I need to re-do ny rad. anyway) that I should not switch sides for the radiator hoses. ???

Also I know I will not be able to use my stock dist. but will I be able to use the one on the new motor???

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
A mid eighties F150 w/ 5.0 engine and manual tranny used the same 11" clutch as an early Bronco and has the correct imbalance (50 oz-in.). Direct bolt on swap. Jeff's Bronco Graveyard has them new, they are kind of hard to find used. But if your stock flywheel is in good shape, you can have it re-balanced for about 50 bucks or so. It will bolt right up to the 5.0, and of course your stock bell housing fits the 5.0 as well. As does your stock clutch.

Have you dealt with the clutch equalizer bar yet? The 5.0 block lacks the tapped hole for the front end of the equalizer bar. I modified mine by welding a flange to the equalizer bar so it is also supported by two of the bell housing bolts. I have pics of this somewhere. Kaufmann Products sells one ready to use, but their website always seems to be down.

If you are using the BCB water pump you don't need to mess with your radiator. And since you are using a carb you can continue to use the stock upper hose for now. You won't be using a mechanical pump though, unless you swap on an old timing cover and an eccentric on the cam drive. If you are planning on doing the EFI swap eventually why not just get a Carter 4594 low pressure electric? Then you have the pusher pump for the EFI setup covered.

You can use your old points dizzy. You just need to get a steel gear for it. Part no. M-12390-B from Ford Racing.