• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2019 NORRA Mexican 1000

landshark99

Bronco Guru
NORRA Mexican 1000 Race Report - Greenwood Bronco #35

This was our first NORRA race - come to think of it, this was our first desert race ever. I have been wanting to race Baja for a long time and have always wanted to do it in an Early Bronco - but this madness really started when I pulled a rotting 1972 Ford Bronco out of a field in Castle Rock Colorado on July 7th 2018 for the sole purpose of running the 2019 NORRA.

img_5122-jpg.201620

img_5700-jpg.201622

With less than a year to go I stripped the Bronco down to a bare frame and started the build, so many things had to be done, so many mountains to climb. I didn’t have any idea who would take part in the race besides me, but i knew it would fall into place. Over the next several months, things did fall into place. Engine and drivetrain built and installed, fuel and transmission lines run, axles installed - the racer was coming to life. I had several Colorado Classic Bronco members volunteer their time, their parts, did I mention time? So much time and effort volunteering for my crazy idea of racing Baja. The end of 2018 was fast approaching and the Bronco was looking more and more like a racer.

img_6236-jpg.201623

img_6967-jpg.201624

The new year is here - 2019 less than 4 months to go before the race and it was yet to run under its own power. More time, more effort and of course - more money. We are now 4 strong and dedicated to seeing this through, we now have a crew, I would be driving the distance plus three crew/chase. The Bronco build has accelerated and exceeded all of my expectations, everyone is dedicated to making it a quality build that is more than a pretty face. After a harsh uncooperative winter we finally get a few breaks in the snow and snuck in a little testing in March. We get 63 miles in the dirt, 50 on pavement.

57506679622__1cfd8955-c162-4df7-9e79-f5b164ff5927-jpg.201625

It exceeds all of our expectation and we know what we have will work well - good thing, as we are out of time. It’s the final stretch before we leave, final prep and last minute items, decals, numbers, spares, packing, zip ties - lots of zip ties.

img_7652-jpeg.201627

April 24 - Denver - We load up the chase van with our gear and spares, load the borrowed trailer with the Race bronco and more gear and off we go for a non-stop ride to Ensenada. Pretty much uneventful except for a few exciting moments in the Utah desert, apparently we forgot to check 1 out of 4 wheels for tight lugs on the van - we got lucky and caught it but not before we lost a wheel stud. At least it’s not an early bronco and we have 7 more on that wheel… we torque everything down, and again.. and again. All is good until mid day in Barstow when our transmission decides it’s a bit on the toasty side. We stop at in-n-out, let it cool, we need fluid - opps forgot that. A quick call to NAPA and a delivery later we are back on the road - Big fan of NAPA right now, so nice of them to deliver to us in the parking lot…

April 25 - We roll into Ensenada around 7pm, find the house we rented, realized the trailer may not fit into the gated yard, it does - by 1/2”. We crash out.

April 26 - we head to Contingency, being our first race with a new build we wanted to go through inspection early just in case there are any issues. We find a spot next to Bronco #66 and settle in to registration, Stella training and eating tacos. Head through tech and don’t have any problems, can’t thank everyone enough that I bugged over the last year with tech questions! That night we start to chase down last minute details on the racer, re-jet the carb for sea level, do some last minute wiring and get our tools packed up.

img_7679-jpeg.201629

58779036_2192951880748783_6626287729091018752_n-jpg.201634

April 27 - we head to Contingency again, mostly for the experience and getting the lay of the land and then button up the racer for the next day, then the driver meeting and final prep.

img_7695-jpeg.201630

img_7700-jpeg.201631

April 28 - Race Day. 10 months ago the Bronco was a rusted out shell sitting in a field. Today it’s a race Bronco sitting at the start line at the top of Baja. Pretty surreal. I can’t say enough about everyone who helped myself and my crew get to this moment. We were pretty excited. So excited that my Co-driver left his Passport and money in the mens room at the Misión Santa Isabel moments before our start time, he realizes it - ejects out of the co-driver seat and returns with passport and money in hand as we pull up to the start line. At this point I think he’s more anxious and manic than I could be, it’s a good distraction and we both settle down to enjoy the start of the race.

screen-shot-2019-05-13-at-21-06-13-png.201635

From other racers advice and the limited amount of seat time i had, we ran a conservative first special stage, letting those pass who catch us and as expected see lots of carnage and gear littering the course to San Felipe, at some point we ran over a tool bag with an impact and my co-driver and I have a good laugh, we knew someone would be bummed, would turn out to be a bit ironic later in the day.

img_2567-small-jpg.201661

We did a quick scheduled pit at the entrance of Laguna Diablo, Bronco took on fuel and we checked fluids, we still didn’t know our MPG and did some quick napkin math.

screen-shot-2019-05-13-at-21-46-37-png.201646

Off we went, testing the high speed stability of the Bronco on the Dry lake, did pretty well and we turned toward San Felipe. Day 1 in the books, time for some Chicken and beers. Then we realize our tool bag is gone and we lost Bob Ross - ejected during the first stage, lesson learned - Baja style.

screen-shot-2019-05-13-at-21-47-38-png.201647

img_7707-jpeg.201638

Off to Autozone for some tools and then to find our room and a nice spot to check the racer. That evening we decided to re-jet again, nut and bolt check, fluids, greased a few things and discussed the plan for Day 2.

img_7712-jpeg.201637

April 29 - Race Day 2 - We said good bye to our chase crew around 7:30am and send them off down highway 5, we knew the road was bad and with the amount of traffic headed that way we wanted to give them plenty of time to stage. My Co-driver and I headed off to have some breakfast and get settled in to wait for the start of the race and then realize that our Lowrance was not loading the days map correctly. Heading over to the starting sand pit I grabbed 7-8 Lowrance experts just to tell us we are doing it right, but it’s not working - we give up and decide to navigate by the road book, we at least have the GPS points showing up on the Lowrance, just not the track. Turns out the Lowrance doesn’t like the memory card we have and will only work if we load one day. So lesson learned, one day at a time it is.

We leave the San Felipe starting line on time and headed into the sandy trails and gentle whoops, this is where the short wheel base Bronco really shines, of course my sarcasm is pretty thick here, I couldn’t wait for that last section of Whoops to end, I am not sure if the rear was on the ground more than the front or vise versa. I am bummed that we don’t have video footage of that section as The Kaysinger Bronco #16 came along side and we whooped it up all the way to pavement, asses in the air together. Was pretty awesome.

screen-shot-2019-05-13-at-21-15-48-png.201640

After the long transit and construction bypasses on Highway 5 we finally dove into the dry lake and and battled the winds but had some fun in the silt on the way to the BOLA transition. A quick fuel stop later along highway 1 we started the final dirt section north of Punta Prieta, this was a fun section and we really started to get a feel for things.

2019-norra-race-dezert-day2_18-jpg.201641

Just before the last transit section we battled some sandy trails weaving in and out of the cactus, taking stock of previous cactus casualties along the way. We took a big hit at some point, probably a rock in the sand and then the steering started to get chunky - but we kept on trucking. We rolled into the finish line of Bay of LA and took a sip of our beers, said a few words to the audience and rolled over to the taco tent - one ticket, one taco.

59337327_2501897496487338_3655645887683624960_n-jpg.201642

We left the tent and found our Hotel, it just so happened several of the other Early Broncos are staying there as well, pretty cool.

That evening we changed the Steering box and the bent wheel, I guess we hit pretty hard. Everything else looked good and we checked fluids, did some drive shaft maintenance and changed air filters. After a few sips of tequila, some advice from an offered legend and some Day 3 planning we hit the hay.

landshark99

Bronco Guru
April 30 - Race Day 3 - Today was a long one, almost 400 miles. We weren’t really sure what to expect but knew we might be stretching our fuel range for the second special stage. We really weren’t sure what our actual range was (and we still don’t) we would probably have to find a few gallons of fuel along that stage to play it safe.

screen-shot-2019-05-14-at-14-06-33-png.201665

Leaving the Bay of LA we started to encounter vehicles by the way side, we tried to remain cautions, the Stella seemed to be constantly beeping at us for stopped vehicles the first few hours.

screen-shot-2019-05-14-at-14-23-45-png.201666

screen-shot-2019-05-14-at-14-20-53-png.201667

We carefully weaved our way over the hills and along the cliffs, a few close calls with some unseen bumps and dips here and there. After El Arco the road opened up and we stretched our legs, we lost lost a tire some where along the way and Bronco #26 passed us, we swapped out the tire and pressed on, yay our jack worked…

screen-shot-2019-05-14-at-14-48-24-png.201668

We really lit it up on the last long section to Vizcaino, it was pretty wild, the Bronco could really move.

We popped out on Highway 1 for the Transit to St Ignacio and met up with our chase crew for fuel and a fresh spare, then headed to St. Ignacio for a top off at the Pemex.

screen-shot-2019-05-14-at-14-52-29-png.201669

Lining up under the St. Ignacio mission we headed out on the longest stage of the race. This was an interesting section with what seemed like volcanic rock, some tight cliff sections and lots of wide open flat area with some nice sandy breaks along the coast.

screen-shot-2019-05-14-at-14-54-03-png.201670

screen-shot-2019-05-14-at-14-59-26-png.201671

Heading into San Juanico I caught sight of a truck with fuel cans - a few minutes later we had 5 more gallons of fuel. I was confident we had the range to make it to Loreto, we turned east.

screen-shot-2019-05-14-at-15-02-57-png.201672

Heading through the villages of La Purisima and San Isidro we enjoyed the break, taking in the sights and waving to the locals along the way - stickers!

screen-shot-2019-05-14-at-15-06-24-png.201673

Unfortunately about 5 miles from Comondú we ended up going over a rise and the steering got light, probably over corrected and by the time we were steerable again the bronco was headed for the rocks. Steering linkage and right front tire hit first, front bumper next. Bronco pitched up on its nose and over the side of the road landing on its side. We were both ok, we made sure the kill switch was off, hit the Stella warning button and climbed out into the cactus patch we landed in… that crap goes right through boots. My co-driver and I were ok, and were not leaking fuel - matter of fact we were not leaking anything - unbelievably. Our Stella was working, we had communication through our InReach to our crew and family, I had a beer and looked over our situation.

img_7723-jpeg.201674

img_7725-jpeg.201675

img_7730-jpeg.201676

We had two broken rims, one ripped tire, 1.5” quarter wall DOM tie rod bent, 3/4” Grade 8 bolt sheered off the knuckle, heim with mis alignment spacers sandwiched with left overs of the 3/4” bolt embedded into it. Both radius arms bent, one radius arm frame bracket bent, Passenger leaf spring centering pin sheared with rear axle pushed back on one side about 12”. There was a little roll cage damage, it did its job, some body damage but all in all it could have been worse. We called in our chase crew, no idea the long night we all had ahead of us but we knew we could get it up and running again. About that time The Kaysinger Bronco #16 stopped and Andrew and his Co-Driver Sam made sure we were ok and that we had water and comms with our guys. Thanks again - much appreciated.

We got to work on what we could fix, heim, spacers, 3/4 bolt switched out. Re-aligned the steering, A short time later, Truck 1010 stopped (still owe these guys margaritas!) and flipped us back on all fours, then we changed the front tire and pulled the plugs, cycled the engine and started it up. We knew we weren’t sitting in the best place so we backed up as far as we dared to get away from the road. If it happened to us, it could happen to others. We waited, it got dark - we waited some more. We broke into the MRE’s we had and drank some water. Decided to try and get some rest and settled down to wait for the chase truck.

58666077_2503270409683380_4534531835807399936_n-jpg.201677

Sometime in the early morning hours the chase van arrived, they had to go the long way around and essentially ran the first stage of the next days course, along with part of the previous days. We had all been up for almost 20 hours. We immediately set to work and replaced the centering pin and ubolts, then changed our ruined rear tire/rim with a fresh one and the bronco headed to Loreto at 4:20am under its own power.

We arrived in Loreto at 6am - and headed straight to the start line to make sure we get start. 11:18am. Off to the house we rented but never slept in for a quick shower, some food and pow wow and then off to staging.

May 1 - Race Day 4 - After a quick race prep and fluid check we headed to the start line, no spare tire - most of the places in town were closed due to a Mexican holiday and we needed to make one good spare from the one good tire we had and the bent rim, we would have to wait for a working spare until after the first special. We headed off into the wash with our fingers crossed and a plan to just drive the stage to finish on the other side. We let everyone pass - just kept on chugging, up the Canyon past the San Javier Mission (one of my favorites) and through the rocky river bottoms to our first transit.

screen-shot-2019-05-14-at-15-16-30-png.201678

We stop for fuel around Insurgentes and a quick but very heated discussion with our chase crew, we have been up for 32 hours, tempers flared, some decisions not so well received. We come to a consensus, let’s finish this. We take on a spare - trouble shoot some heavy steering, diagnoses is steering pump. We swap it out, check fluids and it’s still heavy. We notice the fender is rubbing the steering shaft - we bend it back and heavy steering is gone.

59203973_2505597946117293_2743959141176311808_o-jpg.201679

Off we go for the last 184 miles, Bronco is running strong with no issues - we on the other hand are tired and worn out. We slow down and drive conservative, we drive into a Baja bush - looked innocent enough but I guess it had some nasty branches. We reversed, lost power steering, engine is getting hot. We smell coolant. The belt went into the back of the radiator. At the time we didn’t know what happened, we thought things were just hot and the belt slipped off - turns out a branch got wedged in the fan and threw the belt into the back of the radiator. In my anger i snap the gas pedal off - opps

Calmer heads prevail, we get out and once again assess the situation, the radiator is dumping fluid everywhere, we grab a couple of water bottles and catch what we can. We have a bottle of Alumnseal and dump it in, use all the water we have and up pulls a jeep of locals, Agua! They try to give us beers, we have to decline I would have been under the bronco sleeping in about 15 seconds with just one. We finally get water from them… thank you!

We put on a new belt, fill the radiator up, it seals! Throw 6 zip ties on the gas pedal pivot and off we go - only 130 more miles to La Paz, sprits are still high.

The course gets tougher and tougher, endless sand, whoops for miles and miles and miles then there is Mag 7 - i come to a stop and they fill up our soft cooler with water - thank you Mag7!

It starts to get dark, we pass the last NORRA recovery crew standing by at a section of super deep silt - that stuff was no joke, throw it in 4wd and a wave of powder over the hood later and we keep on trucking. Then the darkness. All our lights still work - only problem is most are aimed off into the starry sky, we turn them off and rely just on the headlights. 80 miles to go.

We enter a seemingly endless rocky section, super rough and several elevation changes. I try to keep the RPM’s low - we didn’t know what threw the belt and we didn’t want to take chances of losing the belt again, we slow down. Then the engine temps start rising, we knew we were leaking again, we pull over several times and use the water we had left to refill the radiator but the leaks turned into a faucet, we were almost out of water and kept losing time, I decided to take a chance and take advantage of the last straight section into the last town and run it at high speed to get us out of the sticks. The engine was getting really hot now, we found a paved road and pulled over one final time and put what water we had left in the radiator, hopped in and headed as far up the transit as we could to make it easier on our chase crew. We pulled over along Highway 1, engine over heated, NORRA crew in tow - we were the last one course, our race was over. A few bottles of water and a couple of beers later we collapse in the dirt to wait for our equally tired chase crew, we were 35 km from the finish line, we had been awake for over 40 hours.

May 2 - Race Day 5 - We decided to push across the start line, onto the trailer and head to San Jose del Cabo to meet up with family and friends, we will save the engine for another day. Moral victory - we made Cabo and started every day. Next year we will finish every day.

58842343_10156323952766009_6121599685644779520_n-jpg.201656

img_0957-jpeg.201658

We learned allot, we made some mistakes, and made some new friends along the way. We plan on being back next year to race the Bronco again, it is a fast fun racer that will be back up and running here soon. We plan on getting allot more seat time before the start of 2020.

58917030_2505617966115291_1166261844826914816_o-jpg.201663

Thank You Baja! I want to thank first and foremost the people of Baja, they let us race across their beautiful land and smile all the way. I don’t need to tell you how many towns and villages we drove through that had those beautiful smiling faces cheer us on. When we had a problem, they were eager to help. Like so many stories, locals would appear out of nowhere to offer water - or beer, or lend a hand.

Thank you NORRA for the opportunity to participate in such a spectacular race, I can’t imagine the logistics or time it takes to pull this off, haul people and property all the way down Baja and still make it fun.

Thank you to the guys who made this happen - Mike Root, Phil "Viperwolf1" Lindenmuth, Jeremy Johnson and Juan "The Conquistador" Cortez, you guys went above and beyond time and time again before, during and after the race. I would have never made it without all of you!

Special Thanks to all the sponsors, friends and other racers who helped get us there:

USMags - We were really really hard on our wheels and no doubt few wheels would have faired any better, John and the crew over at USMags helped the Bronco keep that vintage vibe and were the first to contact us after the race.
AGR Steering - Quality USA made steering components!
Quake LED - The lights took a beating but kept on shining bright. Next time we will keep them pointed in the right direction.
Wild Horses 4x4 - Only the best Early Bronco parts out there
Lee @ Race Shocks - Lee knew exactly what we needed and the Fox Shocks performed perfectly, thank you Lee!
Rory Ward - Badass artwork for a badass Bronco, thank you for pack muling our load of tees south of the Border
Ntense tee's - Nick is the best, perfect layout and great looking shirts in a short amount of time.
Colorado Classic Broncos - What a great group of Bronco people here in Colorado, not only did they take time out of their own bronco builds to help build ours, but they also bought and donated parts to the cause. CCB rocks!
All the Early Bronco drivers - both racers and enthusiasts out there who answered my never ending stream of questions, and tolerating our plagiarization on certain aspects of the their own builds - hey time was not on our side :)

And last but not least
- thank you to my wife, who not only tolerates my crazy dreams, she encourages me to finish them. I promise i won’t buy any more Broncos, for a while :)

59697654_10156328755241009_2866635944159608832_n-jpg.201657

Adios Amigos!

img_7764-jpeg.201659

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Awesome story. You guys as a team did awesome keeping your chin up when the odds were against you. When I talked to you in La Paz just a couple of hours before your start, you didn't even want to wake the crew because you thought you would be asking too much. Then, an hour later, they rallied as a team and there you were ready to get her across the start line. Great job and awesome teamwork! Great group of guys, that's for sure.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Love the story and the adventure. Thanks for sharing it with us. Love the shirts.

HB73

Awesome write up Chris. Amazing what you accomplished in just a year. Can't wait for next years adventure.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

House

Minutia Militia
Thanks for the great writeup, I could almost taste the dust and feel the cacti... :)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Love that one shot in the dark/moonlight working on the rig

April 30 - Race Day 3 - Today was a long one, almost 400 miles. We weren’t really sure what to expect but knew we might be stretching our fuel range for the second special stage. We really weren’t sure what our actual range was (and we still don’t) we would probably have to find a few gallons of fuel along that stage to play it safe.

Adios Amigos!

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Chris,

I really enjoyed reading your write-up. I know it had to be bittersweet reliving the experience. And for you to be talking of next year after such a trying first race is awesome!

I don't know anyone on the team other than Phil. He must have been an incredible resource to you with all that went on with the racer.

Jeff

landshark99

Bronco Guru
Thanks everyone, I have been busy with getting things sorted out from the trip including the chase van which needed some TLC after getting the beat down in Baja.

As soon I have everyone taken care of that I promised a shirt I will reach out and post up what sizes I have left and the cost.

landshark99

Bronco Guru
OK so I have some shirts left over - $30 shipped.

Unfortunately I do not have any 2XL's or larger.... they were REALLY popular.

I have XL, Large and a few Mediums. They fit pretty true to size.

PM me with your request so I can make sure I have the sizes you want.

I can take PayPal, Venmo, check or cash if you want to snail mail me your order.

I know the cost is kind of steep, however totally worth it to support a great race Bronco and besides they were not cheap shirts to get made!

Thanks!