• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trouble Registering my 1974

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think it was mentioned in passing above, but one more thing you may run into, so you should check with someone that knows, is the smog legality of bringing it back from an export, or other defunct operation model.
While many pre-'76 vehicles don't get checked when re-registering under another name, yours is being "brought in from out of country" and will very likely need an initial inspection. After that no problem, but passing the initial is not going to be possible if all the stuff has been ripped off of it.

Even if it was a FED rated vehicle and not a CA rated one, there was still a lot of stuff on a '74 that was not on '72 and earlier models. Enclosed air cleaners, vacuum modulated spark advance, EGR, EVAP, Thermactor (air pump) and all sorts of stuff that may or may not have been on your '74 originally.
I think even CA delivered Broncos had catalytic converters and Dura Spark ignitions.

No matter where it was originally sold though, all of that equipment has to be there for the initial inspection. Luckily you won't have to do it again, but if it's all missing and they want you to get an initial inspection, it's a bear trying to source all that stuff.

Great looking rig by the way! And welcome to classicbroncos.com too by the way.
Too bad you put all the effort into it before finding all this out, but I think it'll work out one way or the other. And at least you're not in the situation another member was in a few years ago. They'd restored at great expense a Bronco, only to find out after they tried to register it that it was still considered stolen!
Had it impounded and thought they'd lost it, but through much diligence on their part, and on the part of some very helpful state authorities, got it back and registered in their name in the end.
What a relief that was, but what they had to go through!

Registering in Baja is sounding more and more reasonable...

Good luck!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oops, forgot to read the third page. I see others had already mentioned the other debacles associated with registering.
And not all of them were CA debacles either!

Paul

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Norra,
I realize you have a super nice bronco but in the end it’s only worth what the buyer is willing to pay. I realize you may never sell it and it will stay in the family “forever” but things happen. You may be able to get a salvaged title other type of CA title they may offer, but what is it worth in the end. Can you sell to someone in another state with a salvaged title? In the end all of us want a clean title with clean VIN numbers stamped on the frame. You don’t want a frame that’s been modified or chopped on bc that actually happens. Ive seen VINs welded into place, big No No! There are people that will take advantage of you in a heartbeat. Frames get swapped everyday I can’t see how CA is different. I can take your bronco, slap a clean title and matching frame on it, and have at my DMV ready to register in my name. I can turn around and sell it to you in CA assuming you pass SMOG. Your old frame and glovebox VIN are worthless unless you turn it into a rotisserie.

It comes down to money in the end. Find a good frame of any year bronco and inspect the chit out of it. Heck go get it powdercoated or galvanized or both like I did. In the end I feel it will be better in the long run.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Keep hammering the DMV. The majority of the clerks only deal with the daily title transfers and registrations. Throw in some MSO to title conversions and something that simple can screw with a lot of the clerks.

Find another office, with a different clerk. Start off the conversation with you have a vehicle and some ugly paperwork. Ask what you need to get it titled correctly. I've showed up at the DMV in AZ with zero paperwork and a trailer twice and left with a title and plates the same day.

I've known people who had 2 different Broncos with the same VIN. Body and frame sold as parts, both got rebuilt, the second one eventually ended up with a state assigned VIN.

In short there are legal ways to do this. Just because the first trip to the DMV was a dud doesn't mean to give up. Try again.

Frame swap can be troubles as well. The stuff you have now is probably the best. Just need the clerk that knows what is going on with the odd stuff.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Understood, and finding that competent DMV employee may be impossible. Lol. Thats why im keeping it legal in baja that way i can still drive it down there and maybe even here if i can insure it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Try going to the Valencia/Santa Clarita DMV. That will be your best bet to find a competent employee. Nice looking Bronco!!

OP
OP
N

Norra74

Loc.
Granada Hills
Keep hammering the DMV. The majority of the clerks only deal with the daily title transfers and registrations. Throw in some MSO to title conversions and something that simple can screw with a lot of the clerks.

Find another office, with a different clerk. Start off the conversation with you have a vehicle and some ugly paperwork. Ask what you need to get it titled correctly. I've showed up at the DMV in AZ with zero paperwork and a trailer twice and left with a title and plates the same day.

I've known people who had 2 different Broncos with the same VIN. Body and frame sold as parts, both got rebuilt, the second one eventually ended up with a state assigned VIN.

In short there are legal ways to do this. Just because the first trip to the DMV was a dud doesn't mean to give up. Try again.

Frame swap can be troubles as well. The stuff you have now is probably the best. Just need the clerk that knows what is going on with the odd stuff.
Thanks brother! I will try other DMV's. Just gotta make time for them lol.

OP
OP
N

Norra74

Loc.
Granada Hills
Try going to the Valencia/Santa Clarita DMV. That will be your best bet to find a competent employee. Nice looking Bronco!!
Awesome, thanks for the advise. I will start there. I went to the winnetka dmv office and they had no clue of what was going on.

OP
OP
N

Norra74

Loc.
Granada Hills
Norra,
I realize you have a super nice bronco but in the end it’s only worth what the buyer is willing to pay. I realize you may never sell it and it will stay in the family “forever” but things happen. You may be able to get a salvaged title other type of CA title they may offer, but what is it worth in the end. Can you sell to someone in another state with a salvaged title? In the end all of us want a clean title with clean VIN numbers stamped on the frame. You don’t want a frame that’s been modified or chopped on bc that actually happens. Ive seen VINs welded into place, big No No! There are people that will take advantage of you in a heartbeat. Frames get swapped everyday I can’t see how CA is different. I can take your bronco, slap a clean title and matching frame on it, and have at my DMV ready to register in my name. I can turn around and sell it to you in CA assuming you pass SMOG. Your old frame and glovebox VIN are worthless unless you turn it into a rotisserie.

It comes down to money in the end. Find a good frame of any year bronco and inspect the chit out of it. Heck go get it powdercoated or galvanized or both like I did. In the end I feel it will be better in the long run.
You trying it to buy it off of me or whats going on here? Lol

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
If you have some time ask around in the FFcars.com forums. The kit car guys know all the good DMV employees to deal with around the state.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Why is it so important to register it in California, the most difficult place on the planet? Seems like some of the other border states might be a less obstructive route?

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Why is it so important to register it in California, the most difficult place on the planet? Seems like some of the other border states might be a less obstructive route?

That's what I was thinking, if all else fails I would sell it to a buddy in another state and let him give it a try. But I don't think you would be able to transfer it to Cali as you are black listed.

Apache Bronco

Loc.
Roosevelt, AZ
Hmmm. In another state (like Arizona) you should be able to apply for a lost title. You must go through a level III inspection, a bond of around $250 if I remember, and after a certain length of time, you can apply for a regular title. As much as these are worth, I would look into it.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Move out of that money hungry Uber liberal state and 99% of your problems will be solved.

suckerpunched

I think I would keep the baja title and register it there too. I have lived here all my life and have been working on old cars for 40 yrs. I have never run across a title that has been flagged non repairable. You see cars registered with salvaged titles all the time, It's not an issue of being wrecked and totaled by the insurance company that happens all the time, those get salvaged titles. I wonder if they got paid some incentive money by the state in one of their programs to get old cars off the road but instead of actually taking off the road, somehow kept the car and took it down to Baja. They have programs right not to get old trucks, tractors and even ATV's off the road. the company I work has 2 tractors that were 74% paid for by the state after permanently disabling the trade in by knocking a hole in the block and delivering it to a recycler. getting ready to trade in a 30 yr old quad on an electric polaris ranger.

suckerpunched

Hmmm. In another state (like Arizona) you should be able to apply for a lost title. You must go through a level III inspection, a bond of around $250 if I remember, and after a certain length of time, you can apply for a regular title. As much as these are worth, I would look into it.

lost title deal works here too, but never run across one that was in the states system flagged as non repairable

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I think you are asking the wrong questions and talking to the wrong people at the dmv. California dmv is swamped with the influx of drivers lisences for illegals and the new federal star liscences for everyone to fly domestically so they have added hundreds of people who do not know shit. I use to go to vegas allot so when i had dmv issues i would stop at the Barstow office to get this work done. They knew thier shit and they knew who to call to get the proper paperwork done if there were strange issues. Your not seeking reserection of your dead vin number. You are seeking a new assigned vin number and salvage title. Your old vin is dead, it only proves what it was and you have the paperwork to prove it is yours. You will need a chp inspection, headlight and brake inspection a statement of facts form and you may be sent to a smog referee station since the bronco came back in from out of state. Remember you are asking for a new salvage title. There are services to carry this through for you if you dont have the time. But its gonna cost you. You may also get this done through the auto club or at least point you in the right direction.

suckerpunched

maybe I missed it, but have you actually verified that the vin on the frame matches your title. If something so bad did happen to it, maybe the frame has been changed and you could file for a lost title with that vin.

Hultzger

Loc.
Martinez

The only problem with the out of state registration route is that CA residents have 20 days to register their out of state licensed vehicles. If you don't some do-gooder will report you to the CHP. The program is actually called "CHEATERS" (Californians Help Eliminate All The Evasive Registration Scofflaws). Snitching on your neighbors is a hallmark of a totalitarian society.

So it's best to try to do it through the painful, legal route.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
If you have AAA, I've had better luck with them on complicated issues, such as dual registration (plates and green sticker), it's worth a shot and AAA actually wants to work for you.