• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing Floor Pans = Frame Off Restoration!

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Might depend on how much clearance you have for the Lower End of the Steering Column and the Lower Steering Shaft?

Aftermarket Hood for Motor clearance?

OP
OP
MidwestTexan

MidwestTexan

I have a fiberglass hood with a small scoop which is why I think it would have worked with a 1" BL although I didn't want to fight anymore clearance issues than I had to (and I fought a lot! :) ) so I went 2". I have a 77' that I picked up a couple of months ago and I want to build a LUBR with a coyote.... I have a 1" BL on my shelf and I plan on giving it a try on that build... I hope to start later this summer/early fall.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I mocked up my 77 Coyote with a 1" Body Lift and it looked like it would be fine if the Steering Box had an Off-Set Bracket.

OP
OP
MidwestTexan

MidwestTexan

I mocked up my 77 Coyote with a 1" Body Lift and it looked like it would be fine if the Steering Box had an Off-Set Bracket.

I had to trim a little bit of the booster bracket as it was just touching the valve cover. If I would have used the KE motor mounts I don't think I would to have had to trim any.

What motor mounts are you using?

RVZIO

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
Could you tell me what you have your welder set at to get those really nice welds. Argon gas set at maybe 23, wire# 35?? Would help me a lot. TIG?
Thank You

Roger

OP
OP
MidwestTexan

MidwestTexan

Could you tell me what you have your welder set at to get those really nice welds. Argon gas set at maybe 23, wire# 35?? Would help me a lot. TIG?
Thank You

Roger

Hi Roger,

I use a Millermatic 211 MIG welder. .30 wire #8 setting and wire speed set to auto. I have a 75/25 gas mixture. It's a great little welder although I'd like to get a TIG for the light stuff.

73BroncoAZ

I’m new to this forum and am looking to do a Coyote swap in my 73. How were you able to get the Mustang manifold cover to fit onto your F150 engine? That’s the first I’ve seen someone be able to do it. Is it because you have a second gen 2015 and it works with the second gen Mustang manifold?

jmhend

Bronco Guru
I have a fiberglass hood with a small scoop which is why I think it would have worked with a 1" BL although I didn't want to fight anymore clearance issues than I had to (and I fought a lot! :) ) so I went 2". I have a 77' that I picked up a couple of months ago and I want to build a LUBR with a coyote.... I have a 1" BL on my shelf and I plan on giving it a try on that build... I hope to start later this summer/early fall.

Don't forget the fiberglass hood shocks. They are great and I highly recommend them if you don't have them on yours.

U15FLG

I put a 2" BL on it although I think I could have got away with a 1" BL with the Krawlers Edge motor mounts if I would have gone that way.
Very happy to find this thread, preparing for a gen2 F150 pull out swap.
A few questions, dana 44 or 30 in the front for you? If 30 have you had any issues?
I plan to hit the MI dunes a few times a year but with small children so nothing crazy the rest is road driving.

You used a 2inch BL., how much SL? Did you stick with the stock oil pan?
no concerns bottoming out on the front axle housing?

past the headers what is your exhaust set up, I m looking for good options to keep the roar to a minimum (cat./resonator/down pipe instead of out the side etc.), where you pleased with your set up?

lastly, what shifter are you using? I like the column shift look but want to be able to take advantage of the 6R80 manual shifting option

Appreciate your advice

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Certainly not an expert on the main subjects of this discussion, but generally speaking your use dictates which front axle to do.
If you already have a 30 then at the very least you need to truss it well.
In fact, for your stated usage I would truss a 44 too.

I hear you when you say you are not going to be abusing it or scaring the kids (too much), but sand dunes in general wreak havoc on smaller, thinner tube axles because of the force that is applied when bouncing around or hitting the bottom of a dune at speed.
Even a 44’s long side will break under the right circumstances.
This doesn’t really have as much to do with engine torque as much as tire size and usage. And obviously in 2-wheel drive the front end is hardly stressed at all.
Except in the dunes..😉😁

Another aspect of strength are the internals of course. What gear ratios are you contemplating?
The lower the gearing (higher numbers) the weaker the pinion gear in a Dana differential.
Just a few things to take into account.

U15FLG

Certainly not an expert on the main subjects of this discussion, but generally speaking your use dictates which front axle to do.
If you already have a 30 then at the very least you need to truss it well.
In fact, for your stated usage I would truss a 44 too.

I hear you when you say you are not going to be abusing it or scaring the kids (too much), but sand dunes in general wreak havoc on smaller, thinner tube axles because of the force that is applied when bouncing around or hitting the bottom of a dune at speed.
Even a 44’s long side will break under the right circumstances.
This doesn’t really have as much to do with engine torque as much as tire size and usage. And obviously in 2-wheel drive the front end is hardly stressed at all.
Except in the dunes..😉😁

Another aspect of strength are the internals of course. What gear ratios are you contemplating?
The lower the gearing (higher numbers) the weaker the pinion gear in a Dana differential.
Just a few things to take into account.
4.11 is whats in it (assuming they are truly original) Didn't plan on changing it. Plan on sticking to 33 inch tires but I am sure I will have a heavy foot at times.

Rsmith

Was this truck ever finished? The op's last post was 5/19 and nothing else?