• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AOD install. Any recomendations

twood9mm

Loc.
so cal
I am in So Cal. I am getting quota up to $5500 for removing my C4 and installing AOD E. Does anyone have a
Recommendations for more
Reasonable shop. Redondo beach

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Doesn't sound too far off the mark.

Rebuilt AODE (no shop is going to drop in a unknown condition trans)-$1500 minimum
Adapter-$600
Trans controller-$500
Driveshaft mods-$500
Shift linkage-$
Cross member mods-$
Some wiring-$
May require exhaust mods-$
Re-gear axles to allow the overdrive trans to work efficiently-$$$
All the labor required to do the above-$$$

BanditBronco

I am thinking the same as viperwolf, I don't think it is that far off for So-Cal. Its not just a quick R&R without 10 unforeseen issues. Plus I would imagine you want it to work when they are finished with it. For AOD that means TV cable adjustment, routing, brackets, etc.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
An AODE would not be my first choice anyway. I would look into maybe a 4R70W instead.

mustanggarage

Contributor
you will want a 90 or earlier AOD which is all mechanical, no computer required.
new torque convertor
the adapter for the aod runs about 600.00
you will need to shorten the rear drive line and the front will need to be longer by about an inch and a half.
the transmission is a bit wider so some exhaust modification will be necessary. the shift linkage should still work ok. but will need adjusting and possibly lengthening
you will need a lokar t-v cable.
if you have a j shift dana 20 you will have to twin stick it.
you will need a new flexplate that is 164 tooth and 28 oz imbalance, and a new starter to match.
so there are lots of things to do. it is not all that hard to do, if you have the desire. I put one in a 67 mustang. a lot of the same changes are required. but it does take time and if you don't want to do the work yourself, you are going to have to pay for it. and if the place you are going has not done it several times before, it is going to take them time to research it and figure out all the little tips and tricks that go into this kind of conversion.

yeah that's a lot of money, but there is more to it than simply swapping transmissions.

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
2nd on Viperwolf...

When I/we were doing them... we only use '90 - '93 AOD's ...( NEVER an E do to the Controller)...

Our Kit for EVERTHING (DID Not include Labor) was $3500. = Rebuilt Trans with Wide Ratio Gear set, AA Adapter. Modified Cross Member, Trans Cooler, Torque Convertor, Flex Plate, etc,....

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Skip the antique of an AOD, I would prefer a C4.
But if you want an overdrive the 4R70W is a better choice. It has the updates the AODs crave, and has many that the AOD just can't have.

You do NOT want an early AOD EVER! Prior to '87 there was an oiling issue. The planetary gears were starved of oil and self destruct. They work right up until they are opened up and you find the gears are junk.

mustanggarage

Contributor
I agree the 4r70w is a better choice than. An aod but I still say if you are going to use an aod an 88-90 will be a cheaper option. It has the upgraded internals so it is as good inside as the later aode but is all mechanical and does not require a trans controller. That does not make it the best option for sure but it is a the best option for using an aod in a carbureted vehicle. I would never consider using an aode because if you are going to all the expense of getting a trans controller and making it work you may as well get a 4r70w.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The AOD-E is just an oddball. same gearing as the AOD but with electronic control.

The single biggest upgrade of going electronic is the selectable lockup convertor. The AOD has no lock in the first two gears and cannot unlock in OD. Third gear is a strange partial lock with a split input to the planetary from both the convertor and direct. The wider ratios, lower first, and slightly less overdrive are the icing on the cake going to the 4R70W.

la hi

I put a 700r4 in my 66 behind the 351w . A known quality rebuilder in farmington, and my builder installed it out the door for $2,600. Adapters front and back, shiftier cable, tv cable connected to the Sniper, and everything. No computer needed.

I have a 700r4 in my 57 chevy truck behind a 454BB which always worked great.

rpmgarage22

I put a 700r4 in my 66 behind the 351w . A known quality rebuilder in farmington, and my builder installed it out the door for $2,600. Adapters front and back, shiftier cable, tv cable connected to the Sniper, and everything. No computer needed.

I have a 700r4 in my 57 chevy truck behind a 454BB which always worked great.

Although technically correct with "no computer", you still need a switch and signal for the converter to lock-up in O/D... Don't need that for the AOD.

Late AOD is a great transmission, when setup correctly. It will take most of the good stuff from the 4R70 and transfer more power than you need for a street rig any day. No controllers, no computers, no trigger wire. Just a basic understanding of setting the kickdown pressure. Shifts smooth as butter, too.

You already have to take it apart to adapt to the Dana 20, so the rebuild is already required.

Sporto

I am using this thread as a means to sort out some of the questions I have regarding an AOD conversion. Very informative discussion, thank you. In looking at the post 87 AOD without electronics, I am finding a lot of them available that are from Mustangs and Crown Vics etc...Can these be easily adapted to the a D20 using the kits or do I need to source one that was originally from a 4 wheel drive?

Thanks,

Rich

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 2WD will adapt with a kit. Considering the transmission is 32 years old it will likely need a rebuild anyway. At that point you can install the correct output shaft and bolt up the tail housing. There are 2 kits, there were significant internal differences to the oiling. You need the right kit for the right year. Hint, the early years had oiling issues. You don't want the early kit because that will be the one for the transmission with oiling issues.

Sporto

OK there is a local one for sale, that is from an 87 Mustang. Is that an early one? Any references that you're aware of that I can use for researching the right transmission?

Thanks!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I know of the AOD, I avoid the AOD. I only do the 4R70W for my projects. Learning about the AOD was only by association, not from desire to use one.