• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headsers

Sprintervanlife

Im having a 68 built for me. I did the 302, mild roller cam roller, roller rockers and shipped it. My question is what headers fit with no issues with a 302, manual 3 speed on the column, 2.5 susp. lift no body lift.
So to make it easy on the builder, which headers fit w/o starter interference or other fit problems? Preference- ceramic, stainless, and opinions?
Thanks

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Why not run the stock manifolds? With a build like this, the performance gain will be very minimal. Really not worth it, unless you really want a different sounding exhaust. It will be louder with headers, but not a huge performance gain.

Mark

OP
OP
S

Sprintervanlife

That's a good point. Probably 250hp but I don't have stock manifolds either so I have to buy something. Sounding better is a plus, maybe run a little more efficiently? It will look better too😁

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I know on my 72 made a good difference in my mileage. Driving the 100 miles each way to my dad's I would need to stop for gas about 1/2 way home. Since the long tube headers I make it home with gas to spare. That's with a 351w and the stock 3spd back then.

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
JBA sells some nice headers purchased mine through Wild Horses. I run the ceramic coated and my dad runs stainless. Both shorties and have the locking bolts and spark plug wire boots.
Great point above on the manifolds being more than adequate. I'm sure you could pick up a used set for cheap on here.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I have Heddman with the ball / socket collector on my 68. They fit with stock 3 speed, C4 and 4R70W (4R needed an adjustment). They came pre0coated and have lasted 7-8 years still look pretty good.

The fit with stock accessory drive and serpentine system.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I think very little of headers unless you're building a race car. They make a tinny noise that's not desirable. The under hood temp increases dramatically and they hurt low end torque. I participated in a large scale experiment to see if MPGs could be improved. They weren't. You may hear from some header pitch men here. I ignore them. Here;https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-1971-...lane-Cougar-302-Exhaust-Manifold/173692468411 is what works every time. They are exactly what my '73 and my '77 were build with.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Actual dyno tests of a small block Ford with shorty and long tubes

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ford-351w-dyno-test-shorty-versus-long-tube-headers/

Sure the biggest gains are at a high rpm on the right side of the graph but check out the ~20 ft-lbs and ~20 HP at 3500 on the left side of the graph. Torque right in the middle where you want it.

Science wins over butt dyno. Get the coated version they look great for a really long time and keep the engine compartment much cooler. Plus easy plug access!

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From his description, I believe that I have the type same headers as Mark and they are perfect. No leaks, crazy heat, or weird noises. They also allow my engine to achieve the power that I built it for. They also cost more but Jegs has free shipping and provides a military discount, so if you're currently serving or a veteran, ask them for the discount. Here is a LINK to the headers.

mustanggarage

Contributor
I can't comment on leaks because my engine is a long way from being ready to run, but I just installed the duff ceramic coated long tube headers and dual exhaust and it fit very nicely. I have installed a lot of pre bent exhaust systems on mustangs before, and never had one that required as little fiddling as this system did.

Attachments

• IMG_4625.jpg
    IMG_4625.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 38

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The Hot Rod article makes my point. They admit shorty headers do nothing in comparison to the stock exhaust manifolds. The dyno results with the long tube headers don't even look at torque below 3200 RPM. I watched a tach while doing my every day driving and noticed the engine only hit 3000 RPM maybe 3 percent of that time. The engine tested was a high performance 351 not a 302 so that too isn't applicable to a stock 302. Most the graph described the output over 4500 RPM. The stock 302s never spin that fast. You need torque from 1500-2500 RPM. Watch a tach and you'll see the vast majority of driving both on and off road is in this range. Normal driving isn't done at full throttle either and the graph only shows full throttle operation. That's why the large scale test of headers I participated in, produced no MPG improvement with long tube Borla headers. To me headers are for those that want to be cool just like huge over size tires.

yakelys69

To each his own, I went from long tube headers to shorts due to full width swap and now I have manifolds. I’m very happy with the manifolds. Much cooler floorboards than with the long tubes, quieter than either and best of all no leaks.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
My mileage definitely got better with the long tube duffys over the stock manifolds. I've heard the shorts dont give the same gains as long tube headers.

68Broncoz

Contributor
Is that the Duff dual exhaust? Does it fit with the NV3550 with no modification?
chris

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
OP - If you read the article you will see that cast iron manifolds versus shorty headers is not much gain so it would be a toss up depending on your preference. If you go headers then long tubes are where you gain torque and mpg. It is like a dual plane intake but for the exhaust side. You run a long intake runner to build torque and the same applies to the exhaust - you are tuning for a frequency relative to the cylinder head design. I selected this article because it used a 302 head even though it was on a 351.