• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Bronco - press conf from Ford

Tugross302

I’m waiting to buy something new in 2020. I have no need for a big Tahoe anymore since my kids are grown so I will either buy a bronco or a wrangler rubicon. It’s up to ford to build one I want. Not another crossover

Lawndart

Loc.
72d7799fa6b9f93a92b6af64268bf10107b2850e47380804777bb709b3d7f649.jpg

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Truth is the 4-door Rubicon is a better wheeler than the 2-door under most circumstances. In Moab and Colorado you will see more 4-door Rubicons on the trail than you do 2-doors. The extra wheelbase is an advantage in most cases. So if Ford offers a choice - with the same equipment and capability - I would be tempted to choose the 4-door over the 2-door.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
Truth is the 4-door Rubicon is a better wheeler than the 2-door under most circumstances. In Moab and Colorado you will see more 4-door Rubicons on the trail than you do 2-doors. The extra wheelbase is an advantage in most cases. .

2 door kinda looking / 106 wheelbase FJ does just as good ... ( 4x4 w. manual I prefer over the rubicon )

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, they announced the new Ford ranger, thats it in OP, and they will be basing the new Bronco in 2020 on the new ranger platform. My guess is it it going after the Forerunner market, and re entry into smaller pickups which they stupidly left when they shut down the ranger, AGAIN.

My concern, they will make the new bronco so expensive, no one will modify beyond bigger tires for 10 years. How many forerunners do you see out on the trails, 1 in 100?

Oh well, I do like the new ranger look, maybe thats my next one.

To the poster commenting on 2v4 door jeeps: Yes, there is a small benefit to 4 door over 2 for longer wheelbase, however that is lost if you do simple mod to the 2 door by moving the rear axle back easily 2-4 inches, and with a little mod up to 10 inches with nothing more than longer arms. The 2 door still rules on tight trails.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
To the poster commenting on 2v4 door jeeps: Yes, there is a small benefit to 4 door over 2 for longer wheelbase, however that is lost if you do simple mod to the 2 door by moving the rear axle back easily 2-4 inches, and with a little mod up to 10 inches with nothing more than longer arms. The 2 door still rules on tight trails.

No argument here. The 2-door is better at turning radius and break-over angle. It has a definite advantages in those situations. I have had my 4-door Rubicon on Black Bear Pass several times and I wished it was a 2-door each time!

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If Ford doesn't release info to aftermarket companies ,It will be a few years before any thing will come from them to modify them. They'll wait and see what the market is before spending the money on R&D. With the statement that there going after the Cherokee there is not much hope though.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
No way Ford can compete with the Wrangler at this point and I'm sure they realized it. Jeep has owned the mainstream topless 4x4 market basically since the beginning of time.
Not trying to controversial and I hope Ford does a great job with the new Bronco however they build it.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Ford is very much a "business" these days and that sentiment is unfortunately in keeping with their bottom-line approach to the business, unlike the 60's when they were enthusiasts' balls of fire. I could conceive of a scenario wherein the development team threw up their hands at the impossibility of coming up with a winning design and decided the bottom-line was the safest approach to avoid failure at all levels. I thought the Escape was their Cherokee. But maybe not. We can only hope at this point that it is all smoke and mirrors and that we will be surprised. Their recent history unfortunately does not inspire confidence that that is the correct interpretation.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Dont worry the new Bronco isn't going off road, its only on the dirt road so you can tow your side by side to the trail head. Bring back the Bronco II.

Jaxgtc

I guess most of us will keep our REAL broncos if this article is correct for the 2020 bronco
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/ford-taking-jeep-174545887.html

I realize that EB enthusiasts come in all shapes, sizes, and tastes. But for an apples to apples comparison, consider what that stock EB looked like when it was new. It probably wasn't much for off-road prowess either. Do you love the EB or what you have made it into? What Ford needs to replicate from the EB and Jeep is the ability to morph the new product into anything you want it to be. Sell enough and the aftermarket will fill any desire that you might have. An off-the-shelf NB can be all things to all people, just like our beloved EBs, it might just cost you a little more in the end.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I realize that EB enthusiasts come in all shapes, sizes, and tastes. But for an apples to apples comparison, consider what that stock EB looked like when it was new. It probably wasn't much for off-road prowess either. Do you love the EB or what you have made it into? What Ford needs to replicate from the EB and Jeep is the ability to morph the new product into anything you want it to be. Sell enough and the aftermarket will fill any desire that you might have. An off-the-shelf NB can be all things to all people, just like our beloved EBs, it might just cost you a little more in the end.

The base early Bronco was not very capable off-road that much is true, but 50 years ago the base Jeep was even less capable.

With enough work many SUVs can be built into a capable off-road machine.
Solid axle swap, engine swap, transmission swap, transfer case swap........

Ford will not be building a new Bronco that can be easily used as a base.
They do not care about the enthusiast market.
They make more money from the simulated lifestyle crowd.

The soccer moms outnumber both combined.