Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 05/16/19, 09:30 PM   #1
bigjeff53

Salinas
C4 Trans issue

Hi
I am having trouble with my 77 c4 trans. Had it rebuilt by a shop worked great for a while. Every once in a while when I stop it won't engage in drive or reverse. I can shift in all the gears and nothing. If I shut it down for a bit it will work again. Any idea's?
Thanks
bigjeff53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/19, 12:50 AM   #2
Viperwolf1
Contributor
electron whisperer

It's not dented, it's just been environmentally streamlined!

homelessly wandering

My Gallery
Garage
What exactly do you mean by "Every once in a while when I stop"? Are you just stopping with the brakes, are you shutting the engine off, or what? Have you checked the fluid level?

'74 beater, 5.0 mustang EFI, C4, PS, front discs, twin sticks, 3.5" susp/1" body, 33's, 4.11's, ARBs, Hickey Sidewinder, cobra hydroboost

'70 cruiser, 5.8 explorer EFI, 4R70W, PS, front discs + hydro, twin sticks, 3.5" susp/1" body, 34's, 4.88's, ARB & tru-track
Viperwolf1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/19, 08:37 AM   #3
Rustytruck
Contributor
Bronco Guru

honest the bolder ran under me

El Monte CA
Garage
Sounds like low on transmission fluid. Start up the truck and shift slowly through all the shifter positions and back up to park. Leaving the truck in park with the engine running set the parking brake. Check the tranny fluid. With cold fluid you want the tranny fluid just showing on the end of the dipstick.
1/2 a quart of tranny fluid can make a big difference on how well the tranny shifts.

1974, stock 302, C4, BFG KM2 33x12.5x15, 8in rim, detroit rear, trutrac front 4.11 gearing, Warflairs,2.5" lift, chevy disc conversion, Hydraboost, owned since Christmas Eve 1977
Rustytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/19, 02:53 PM   #4
Codiak

Rogers, AR
Mine did the same after my rebuild. It would drive fine at first, but after it warmed up; the engine would rev like I shifted it into neutral. If I shut it off and then started it back after a few minutes it would shift ok until about 35 mph. Then it would do it again. I found the filter in the pan was getting stopped up with some kind of material. After about 3 flushes and filter cleaning; it hasn't done it since.
Codiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/19, 04:07 PM   #5
bigjeff53

Salinas
77 C4 issue

What I mean is for instance I drove around the other day for about 20 miles then stopped to get fuel. When I started it up shifted into drive and nothing. Went through all the gears and reverse, still nothing. Shut it off waited a bit started it again tried drive again did not work, went to park and back to drive then kicked in. Went home put it park got out to open shop door and it did it again. Fluid is full and clean. Some times it does this and some time it fine. This transmission only has maybe 150 miles on since pro rebuild
Old 05/17/19, 04:24 PM   #6
Viperwolf1
Contributor
electron whisperer

homelessly wandering

My Gallery
Garage
What's the possibility of bringing it back to the pro to fix it?

Might be a loose valve body or valve plate.

'74 beater, 5.0 mustang EFI, C4, PS, front discs, twin sticks, 3.5" susp/1" body, 33's, 4.11's, ARBs, Hickey Sidewinder, cobra hydroboost

'70 cruiser, 5.8 explorer EFI, 4R70W, PS, front discs + hydro, twin sticks, 3.5" susp/1" body, 34's, 4.88's, ARB & tru-track
Old 05/17/19, 04:29 PM   #7
Local Boy

More throttle...Less talk

Mililani, Hawaii
Are you manually shifting it? Auto trans do not like that.... unless you have a manual valve body...

I'm certainly not a trans expert, but I believe 1st gear and reverse are linked together... and manually shifting it would negatively affect its engagement...

Looking forward to hear from those who are much more technically knowledgeable than me on this...

Aloha

XCON BR #1 - 408 Stroked Dart block, Forged rotating assembly, Jon Kasse P-38 heads, Jesel valve train, Atlas II, Hughes Built C-4 w/ manual valve body, RCV 31 spline front axles, F-9 Currie 9' 35 spline rear end, BigStuff3 Pro SEFI
"Every time I turn on my Bronco, it returns the favor!"...
Local Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/19, 05:41 PM   #8
Viperwolf1
Contributor
electron whisperer

homelessly wandering

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Boy View Post
Are you manually shifting it? Auto trans do not like that.... unless you have a manual valve body...

I'm certainly not a trans expert, but I believe 1st gear and reverse are linked together... and manually shifting it would negatively affect its engagement...

Looking forward to hear from those who are much more technically knowledgeable than me on this...

Aloha
I believe you are right. You are not a trans expert.

Old 05/17/19, 06:04 PM   #9
Local Boy

More throttle...Less talk

Mililani, Hawaii
hahahaha

Thanks for your confirmation...

My apologies to the OP for confusing the matter...

XCON BR #1 - 408 Stroked Dart block, Forged rotating assembly, Jon Kasse P-38 heads, Jesel valve train, Atlas II, Hughes Built C-4 w/ manual valve body, RCV 31 spline front axles, F-9 Currie 9' 35 spline rear end, BigStuff3 Pro SEFI
"Every time I turn on my Bronco, it returns the favor!"...
Local Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/19, 07:02 PM   #10
bax
Contributor
Bronco Guru

smokin 37's

Melbourne.

My Gallery
I think it is going to be media in the valve body. Fine particles "trash" causing the valve body to be sticky. This can happen after a rebuild. Plus the c 4 valve body can be tricky. They don't like to be over tightened during assembly. I would drop the pan. drain it real good, even shift it thru the gears to move out whatever fluid is in the valve body. install a new filter, fill with new or filter the old fluid. then add some trans valve body lube / additive and run it around. I bet it clears up. However since it is a new rebuild, take it back to the pro and have him do this. If he had cleaned it really good before assembly he / you may not be having this problem.

1971 U15 Ol'blue 5.0/4r70w/205/ 4,11. 1968 U15 - EFI 408C/C6/205/4.88/37's/hi9/ARB's/hydro-boost/full cage/4wdisk/PS/powerasswipe/bla-bla-bla!
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/19, 07:38 PM   #11
Viperwolf1
Contributor
electron whisperer

homelessly wandering

My Gallery
Garage
To move forward you only need the forward clutch to engage. Reverse requires the high/reverse clutch and the rear band. Both of those are controlled only by movement of the manual valve, which is connected to the shifter. That's why I think there is a loss of pressure causing the issue. Loose valve body or valve plates bleeding pressure needed to engage clutches.

Old 05/18/19, 11:18 AM   #12
Tcb3078
Contributor

Charlotte
Garage
I had similar issues. Pulled mine, issue was sticky governor and valves
Tcb3078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/19, 08:39 PM   #13
bigjeff53

Salinas
C4 Trans issue solved

Finally got to the bottom of my trans issue. Took it to a new shop. They thought is was the valve body as with everyone else. Turned out it was a missing shim in front of the stater. The old shop forgot one. So when trans was cold the fluid would keep them tight and when hot would let pressure bypass. Had to pull trans out to fix it.
Old 05/26/19, 05:17 AM   #14
bax
Contributor
Bronco Guru

smokin 37's

Melbourne.

My Gallery
Thats what I was going to say next.. Glad you got it fixed. Sucks about all the trouble.

1971 U15 Ol'blue 5.0/4r70w/205/ 4,11. 1968 U15 - EFI 408C/C6/205/4.88/37's/hi9/ARB's/hydro-boost/full cage/4wdisk/PS/powerasswipe/bla-bla-bla!
bax is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Tags
77 c4 transmission