• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I thought I was a gonner!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I was backing my camper down the driveway to get it ready for the Roundup. I've backed it down with the Bronco many times, but this time the drive was wet, and the rear brakes didn't hold a bit. The trailer has surge brakes so that didn't help either. The front brakes locked and dragged the front wheels about forty feet. The driveway is a 27 degree grade, so it's pretty steep. Past the house the slope continues about 200 yards through the trees to the creek.
Sliding backwards, I finally got it into first and dumped the clutch. It finally stopped. It was a great smoke show!
I guess a brake job is in order.%)

Attachments

• zzzz.jpg
    zzzz.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 580

House

Minutia Militia
Probably need to reupholster your seat now...!
Glad you are safe

bax

Contributor
Old Member
dumping the clutch fixes everything.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
That is scary! Glad you got it figured out before anything bad happened.

Years ago in CO we were trailering our rigs up the mountains for a snow bashing trip. Since one rig had overheating issues, we wanted to get them up as far as possible before we unloaded. The roads were snow packed and icy, but at the trailhead there was a nice area to unload. We helped a guy with a brand new dodge who just slide into a cliff face. Back underway again, there was a sharp corner that you could not carry any speed into. Buddy in front of me doesn't make it. So we all halt behind him. There were 3 other rigs behind me, not on trailers tho. My buddy begins to get to a level area to unload his XJ and I set the e-brake in my truck and jump out to help. I started walking back to tell the others in the group what was going on, when my truck and trailer begin to match my speed. I holler at the guys behind me to back up, which they do and my trailer dives into the ditch soon after. Truck won't pull it out of the ditch due to lack of traction. So I unload the bronco, get a tug from the front and get everything back on the road. There appears to be no damage. Once we start up the trail in the rigs, we make it another 4 miles before the XJ is overheating uncontrollably. So we tuck tail and head home. It was still spooky having the trailer push your truck around those icy corners, but we all made it down the hill safely!

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Tha t is a recurring nightmare I have. Pointed wrong way down a hill and brakes are doing nothing. I usual awake in a cold sweat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Good job in a moment's notice Mark. You probably felt like you were in slow motion, huh?

I had a similar experience a few years back, but was going forward, no trailer, just going down a very wet, slick (clay) dirt trail with a large pond on one side. Pumping the brakes or down shifting did no good and was seconds away from going for a swim. 'Was able to steer into a stand of small trees on the other side to stop. Whew!!! :p

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I had no idea the rear brakes had a problem until this happened. I pulled the trailer back to storage without an issue. I think the factory power disc brakes work so well you can't tell the back brakes aren't doing anything.
I'm thinking stuck wheel cylinders or glazed linings. I'll pull it apart this week.

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I'm in the process of doing a complete brake job to fix this. I bought new drums rotors, calipers, wheel cylinders and hardware from Rock Auto.
I got the rears done yesterday, but the linings and drums were still ok. Maybe a bit glazed. I'm thinking maybe the wheel cylinders were stuck. The front rotors and pads were just about gone though.