• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What are these?

Birddog75

I have these two circled parts attached to my voltage regulator harness. They appear to be some kind of resisters. The wire connecting them are in pretty bad shape. My question, what are they? Do I need them? Can I purchase them at most part houses? Thank You.

Attachments

• IMG_4428.jpg
    IMG_4428.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 177
OP
OP
B

Birddog75

The white (grey) resistor is connected to the orange (F) wire. It's actually frayed and rubbing against the paint. Probably contributing to my issue in a previous post. Should I should remove from the equation or replace?

Attachments

• IMG_4429.jpg
    IMG_4429.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 70

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'd say remove them , gently & take a good picture so you could reinstall them if needed.
But back in the days we installed capacitors & resisters to try & take noise & static out of radios.. CB Radios .

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The radio noise suppressors chokes (capacitors) are not for spark plug noise. They're for electrical noise created in the ignition coil and voltage regulators.
The regulator may not need them once they go to the solid-state style you have pictured (vs the old electro-mechanical points setup of the originals) but the ignition coil can always benefit from one.
I left all of mine in place.

The one mounted to the voltage regulator is stock. The one mounted to the fender in the Field wire is added by a PO and I had the exact same one on mine. Including two others for a total of three added to the stock ones by the PO.
The owner had been a Montana based hunting club and they had all sorts of radio equipment in it originally. Guessing that your PO, just like mine, was a radio person and wanted as much noise suppression as possible.

If they're causing trouble, or just in the way, you can probably remove them like the others have said. Just a good idea to leave them as long as possible, and certainly leave the stock ones just in case.
You may never use AM radio, but on the off chance you want to someday, you may find that your AM stations are un-listenable with the engine running.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
If they're causing trouble, or just in the way, you can probably remove them like the others have said. Just a good idea to leave them as long as possible, and certainly leave the stock ones just in case.
You may never use AM radio, but on the off chance you want to someday, you may find that your AM stations are un-listenable with the engine running.

does anyone listen to am anymore these days.. lol other than some old timers.. :) no pun intended

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Top one with the molded plug is factory. Cleans up the radio noise of the voltage regulator.

The other one, spliced into the orange wire, is NOT stock. Someone was trying to do something. Not sure what it was. Is that the "F" post on the regulator? I can only guess that it was a filter to try and smooth the input to the field to try and smooth the output of the alternator. Never seen anyone do that before. I would remove it.