• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Insurance

gaboy1

Insurance Findings

I figured since this is something most of us on this site will deal with at some point with our vehicles, that it may be beneficial to post my findings in my search for Collector Car insurance.

I am currently with Hagerty on 7 classic/collector vehicles. I have no driving record issues, nor anyone in my household, no claim history, and I am 42 years old. This is so that everyone can get an idea of where my rates are from.

Policy includes coverage on: 70 Mustang 428 R-Code, 70 Mustang Convertible, 70 Mustang Coupe, 68 Torino GT Fastback, 73 Bronco, 78 F-150 SB 4x4, and 81 CJ-7 (yuck, it’s the wife's :)

12-month premiums, typical low deductibles, total agreed upon value across all vehicles is $215k.

• Hagerty - $1,808
  • Grundy - $2,332 - Guy acted like he couldn’t care if I used them or not
  • ANPAC - $2,688 – Nice a responsive, individual agent
  • American Modern (AMIG) - $795, but their claims experience reviews from other folks was horrendous, literally case after case of nightmare situations that I could easily find myself in with them
  • State Farm - $2,584 – Individual agent, I currently use for other products and their claims experience is unmatched IMO

I am staying with Hagerty for the time being, although I will be continuing to shop before my next renewal.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Your findings are similar to mine. I just posted, in another thread, that Hagerty has relaxed their policy a lot regarding usage and storage requirements. I’m more comfortable with them for my purposes than with other carriers considering their reputation....and hey, I get a magazine from them.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
He's paying $240/year for a $30K Hagerty policy? I dont see how thats possible and I sell for Hagerty. Maybe he only has theft coverage and not liability

Jefe-

So you sell for Hagerty... pull out a Hagerty Policy and attach a pic of the policy where it says or doesn't say Hagerty allows the uses below...

these same concerns I keep telling people to be careful of and not take the word of the local agent (guess that would be you huh?) because if it's in the fine print in writing you won't collect on a claim like I've said before. All I'm trying to do is possibly save someone from NOT being uninsured when they think they are.

1- can you drive a Bronco on USFS roads (like local agents have told me and several buddies)? but when I asked the VP he said absolutely not

2- can you drive a Bronco on a State Highway approved beach? ( 2 agents told me I could but not race on dunes) On line agent looked it up and said no (I did not read it on the policy myself)

3- can you drive a Bronco almost everyday? Not to work but 'around" 5-6/days/week? I had our local agent say yes, just not to work everyday

4- can you take it camping or hunting in the hills and be covered? My local agent said yes but the VP said no- paved roads only.

Don't make personal deragatory comments about someone on the list w/o backing up your accusation with fact... prove to us that Hagerty would pay for all of the above uses and I will get a Hagerty policy. It's only double what I'm paying now.

M36

Loc.
Tucson
Just got off the phone with Grundy and Hagerty. Grundy will not cover any claims that happen off road while the Hagerty rep specificallys said, "light terrain use" includes USFS roads or maintained dirt roads were acceptable for driving on. I asked if I am driving on a maintained USFS road while raining, hit a mud hole and kiss the tree, will I be covered if I decide to file a claim and the answer was yes.

Grundy had no mile restriction while Hagerty used a 5000 annual amount. There were some other goodies thrown in with Hagerty and the amounts per year for Grundy were $461, Hagerty was $598.

M36

Loc.
Tucson
Don't make personal deragatory comments about someone on the list w/o backing up your accusation with fact... prove to us that Hagerty would pay for all of the above uses and I will get a Hagerty policy.

I'm curious NVRSTUK why JefeAZ or anyone needs to prove anything to you at all.

Slowleak posted the same thing that I just posted, and I just got off the phone with a Hagerty rep. Why would the rep say something that would be not true? His exact words were, "we have relaxed the policy".

Instead of taking this VP's word as gospel, why don't you call Hagerty yourself and let them prove it to you. Do your own due diligence instead of having someone do it for you.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Jefe-

So you sell for Hagerty... pull out a Hagerty Policy and attach a pic of the policy where it says or doesn't say Hagerty allows the uses below...

these same concerns I keep telling people to be careful of and not take the word of the local agent (guess that would be you huh?) because if it's in the fine print in writing you won't collect on a claim like I've said before. All I'm trying to do is possibly save someone from NOT being uninsured when they think they are.

1- can you drive a Bronco on USFS roads (like local agents have told me and several buddies)? but when I asked the VP he said absolutely not

2- can you drive a Bronco on a State Highway approved beach? ( 2 agents told me I could but not race on dunes) On line agent looked it up and said no (I did not read it on the policy myself)

3- can you drive a Bronco almost everyday? Not to work but 'around" 5-6/days/week? I had our local agent say yes, just not to work everyday

4- can you take it camping or hunting in the hills and be covered? My local agent said yes but the VP said no- paved roads only.

Don't make personal deragatory comments about someone on the list w/o backing up your accusation with fact... prove to us that Hagerty would pay for all of the above uses and I will get a Hagerty policy. It's only double what I'm paying now.
Been a little busy and haven't been on here since April sorry. I already covered this:
Hagerty has been very clear about no overnight camping, driving it too often and the types of off-pavement driving you would be allowed to do. I have gravel in my driveway, am I not covered pulling out of the garage? I think 2 of your 3 statements is what got it declined.

There is a major difference between sales/underwriting reps and the claims adjuster that translates the policy coverage into a claim settlement. There may also be some differences between east and west coast underwriting rules. We have dirt roads everywhere here, there are still several in the middle of town that has 1M+ population.
I have full policies from JC Taylor, Hagerty, ANPAC and now Grundy. None of them say anything about excluding liability, injury, theft or damage when offroad, off-pavement, etc. Those words do not exist in the policy.

Each company has underwriting guidelines to try to weed out the guys that compete and rock crawl. Hagerty underwriting told me as long as its a maintained dirt road it is fine.

Bare in mind I only have experience with Arizona which is very different from most states. They allow your vehicle to be parked in the driveway and allow you to pay monthly. I even put a 1996 Honda Accord on a Hagerty policy this year for a customer and was shocked they took it. They are loosening their rules all the time.

Nothing I said was derogatory. You jump in every insurance thread trashing Hagerty with very limited knowledge. That VP doesn't underwriter policies or settle claims. You seem happy where you are so move on and quit misleading people.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Well, for starters ARIZONA aint Oregon or Washington is it?

I was looking for this thread 2 months ago as I contacted Haggerty again (every couple years) so I could update it or as you say, I could "trash" (your quote) Hagerty again with what happens to be updated, accurate, unbiased information over the past 10 yrs.

So I did contact them, on line. We exchanged a dozen emails, I sent pics of my rig sitting on 40"s, winch, lift, custom everything except the windshield. They said they'd get back to me. 2 days later they said OK.

This is the FIRST and ONLY time they didn't immediately say I wasn't insurable because I want to drive it on dirt or gravel roads, I had a lift, I want to camp in it, I want to drive it on the beach. ALL these conditions have been met this time. I don't know why ... but I don't exaggerate much less make stuff up.

Hagerty said ok to driving on dirt roads, driving on the beach, camping. It is not a daily driver since I don't drive to work everyday. 100% turn around from the last 1/2 dozen or more times I've contacted them.

They didn't tell me this part, I only found this out after they approved my request and I requested a copy of their proposed policy.

1- must be locked inside a garage/secure bldg every night

2- limited mileage

Everything I've said about Hagerty in posts the past 10 years is 100% accurate- don't tell me it isn't. Nothing I've ever said about Hagerty is not 100% accurate..
Least for the PNW. I'm not making things up or not understanding what agents or representatives of Hagerty at Hagerty have told me...repeatedly for 10+ yrs.

They have loosened their grip on Broncos the last 12 months. Probably has to do with the mall crawler explosion and super expensive Broncos. They'd be missing a huge market segment if they limited Bronco coverage and use to only go for ice cream, car shows or malls.

So with this update, Hagerty now insures Broncos IF you tell them up front your intended purpose without fraud involved- first time ever.

Last edited:

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Glad you were finally able to get accurate info from a licensed sales rep. Sounds like the old rules are being phased out in other states too. We don't have to be garaged here in AZ but every collector insurance company puts a limit on miles. Also not sure how they approved camping but stipulate it must be in a locked garage every night. I've been told no overnight camping every single time. If that's whats stopping you then add your Bronco to your regular insurance policy for the weekend

nvrstuk

Contributor
Interesting how Haggerty has opened things up but I can't let the insinuation of me NOT talking with "licensed agents" before slide by... Each and EVERY time except when I talked to the VP on the East Coast I was talking with licensed agents. I was being truthful in my description of how I intended to use my Bronco and that is probably why I kept getting turned down the last dozen yrs or so.

Last edited: