• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pictures of Broncos farming

EpeditionBronc

I recall being told the fold up rear license plate holders on our Broncos were for them to operate on the road with tailgates down and the license would still be visible. It was marketed to the work/farm crowd. Does anyone have any pictures of Broncos being used as such? does anyone have pictures of marketing material showing it used? I'm interested to see if there's anything out there like that.

Thanks

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I think the license plate frame was carried over from the F100 tail gate just like the whole design excepting the width. The hinges, latches, and release handles are F100. Pick ups are often used with the tail gate down.

Tugross302

I thought the plate lifted up so you could set your beer on it while you’re waxing the tailgate

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I just searched for photos of '65 F-100s and found I was wrong. They didn't have the EB type license frame. The ones I see around Tucson usually don't have the original rear bumper and people just stick the plate where ever they can. The tail gate is convenient.
I have pulled the frame down on my '77 when the tail gate is also down to carry long lumber, ladders, ETC. It works. I don't see a connection with farming tho. I hauled construction materials and ladders.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I always thought it odd that it had the fold down license plate but you can't drive with the tailgate down with a swing out spare. ?:?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I always thought it odd that it had the fold down license plate but you can't drive with the tailgate down with a swing out spare. ?:?

Hence the fender latch on the passenger side for the swing a way carriers

House

Minutia Militia

Also remember that the swing out carrier didn’t come along until later in 1967… ;)