• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 Body differences

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is there any difference in the 66 full hard top? I'm interested in getting one and didn't know if I should focus my efforts on that year only.

Bolt holes are for sure different on the window frame (vacuum wipers 66-68). I believe the lift gate latch is different.

OP
OP
S

SP66

Bronco Guru
great 66 info

can anyone post up a pic of the 66 tailgate and any of the 67-77 tailgates and educate on the exact differences and location of differences---having trouble seeing this---thanks

bigpitbull

BRONCO ADDICT
Loc.
Saltillo, MS
I have some pics of my 66 tailgate. I will try to post them later today. Your tailgate looked to be a different year on your blue bronco.. It's a very subtle difference. I will also try to snap some pics of the liftgate on my 66 top for you..

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
66 and 67 Tailgate. 66 has the line, and 67-77 has the hump.

Attachments

• DSC07539.JPG
    DSC07539.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC07538.JPG
    DSC07538.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 262

azslim

Loc.
Wilhoit,Az.
Mine doesn't have armrests,no rear seat(Bulkhead behind buckets)no visors,silver seats(Great for repairing with duct tape)no headliner, someone installed sliding side windows
(Great for the dogs!)single master cylinder and a carbuerator that you can't find anywhere.(Fomoco) throttle opening is smaller than later EB's,I had to send it to Cal. to get it rebuilt.

ccbronco

Well how about that. My 67 Sport has a 66 gate. I also have the VIN on the kicker. I must have a 66 built 67?

Attachments

• SAM_8704.jpg
    SAM_8704.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 199
  • SAM_8705.jpg
    SAM_8705.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 165

Seattle66

Contributor
Dang it! By the pictures posted above comparing the two tailgates, my 66 actually has a later tailgate. Bummer!

Attachments

• Rear End.jpg
    Rear End.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 215

matts460

This is to funny see im a Bumpside ford truck geek (67-72) And the 67 are differnt than the rest of the years with the same kind of odd differences! Like the knobs, handles and even small sheet metal shape differnces. Im sure some of you know what im talking about.

Seattle66

Contributor
Lift gate latch don't look '66 nither.

Nice! Just keep piling it on guys :)

Just kidding. Oh well, I am clearly not trying to be original, but the PO didn't really disclose that an entire new tailgate was needed and I was not educated enough on the differences at the time. That being said, it works and looks good, so I am not too concerned.

While we are at it, is my grill a 66?

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 210

Rocking Bronc66

Does anyone have a picture of the eyebrow grill? After comparing pictures I realize I have a 66 with a later tailgate and lights but I have the clear front markers and the drip rail plus the locks are above the body line

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Does anyone have a picture of the eyebrow grill? ...

On my list of "Must Buys" the eyebrow grill. Picture thanks to local Kevin - zombie66

Kevins66_zpsb37465c4.jpg

Seattle66

Contributor
66 and 67 Tailgate. 66 has the line, and 67-77 has the hump.

Just curious, but is it true that all 66's only came with the line style tailgate as opposed to the hump? I have been looking at a ton of photos on-line and have seen a lot of 66's that claim they are original with a tailgate that has the hump and not the line. Some of the pictures I have seen were on the u13roadster.com registry. I can't imagine that so many people with 66's have the wrong tailgate. I know my tail lights are different, but I think my tailgate might actually be original. Is there any other way to find out via markings or codes that might be stamped on the tailgate somewhere?

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just curious, but is it true that all 66's only came with the line style tailgate as opposed to the hump? I have been looking at a ton of photos on-line and have seen a lot of 66's that claim they are original with a tailgate that has the hump and not the line. Some of the pictures I have seen were on the u13roadster.com registry. I can't imagine that so many people with 66's have the wrong tailgate. I know my tail lights are different, but I think my tailgate might actually be original. Is there any other way to find out via markings or codes that might be stamped on the tailgate somewhere?

The tailgate is one of the first things to rust. A replacement option could have been from the next 10 years of broncos.