• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

For the Sacramento Area Members

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Anyone from the area know the men in the newspaper article, or shed any light/history about the parts catalog? Both were in a file folder that came with the recently purchased half cab. Newpaper was from the Sacramento paper, December 20, 1991.

20150730_172723_zpsjoil9hff.jpg

20150730_172712_zpsxptdswrl.jpg

Last edited:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Yes, I knew them. Pete and Julie Riolo owned Bronco Parts from probably the late 80s/mid 90s? until Pete retired. Then his son Dan took over and ran it for a few years. I think it went out of business around the turn of the century. Pete and Julie were very nice people and contributed items to our Stampede raffle for a number of years - I believe they have both passed on now.

Their specialty was original type parts - they used to have more of the OEM-type wiring harness replacements, for example, than another other shop at the time. When Dan took over, he branched out more into the aftermarket modifications like suspension lifts, power steering conversions, disc brake conversions, etc. They were always a much smaller shop and didn't advertise as much like Wild Horses, Tom's, JBG, etc. I have a hunch they struggled in the economic upheaval after 9/11 (like K Bar S) and didn't make it. One thing I just remembered is that Bronco Parts was the primary dealer for Hanson bumpers back in the day.

I was looking through a few old photos not long ago and came across some pictures from a run that ACB did in '96? when Dan and his girlfriend joined us. It was an overnighter and we had a great time with them.

I still have at least one of their catalogs in my collection too along with a decal on my toolbox and somewhere I probably still have one of their t-shirts too. They used to give out little pocket calculators with their name on them and until recently I had one of them in my glovebox to do gas mileage calculations. I think the battery finally died in it.

Hope that helps.

Todd Z.

Last edited:

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I still have magazine ads with them here somewhere.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Never went to their shop, but know local EB guys who did. Todd's description was spot on. Older couple who started the company retired, son took it over, closed their doors 10 or 15 years ago. I don't know if they closed up due to lack of business or if the owner decided to move onto a different career. I always heard good things about them from people I know who shopped with them. When Wildhorses is just down the road, making the 45 mile drive to Sac to buy parts never made much sense to me, so I never shopped there. Kind of wish I'd made the drive up once or twice just to check out another fairly local vendor.

70HalfCab

Loc.
Mandeville, LA
When I lived in Sacramento I bought a ton of parts from Bronco parts when I was doing a restore of my Bronco in the early '90s. Good people and it sure was nice having a local Bronco 'parts' supply pre internet. They sold lots of quality used stuff as well.

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
I used their shop a lot in the 90's and early 2000's. Pete was retired from CHP if I remember right. His son Dan was a little more helpful with technical stuff though. Pete would tell you I just sell parts. I traded off a few of my stock parts to them. I remember the Sacramento Bee did a right up on their shop around 03. Petes bronco was a show piece.

Galt72

Contributor
I shopped there a lot back in the day. They were very nice people and always loved to talk about bronco stuff. I wasnt happy when they told me they were closing. Thanks for posting the old ads brough bakc good memories. Funny I passed by their old shop off power inn road the other day and now we're talking about them

BroncoBoom

Loc.
Grass Valley
There is also a write up about them in Bronco Driver magazine .
Can't remember what issue but it's an old one .
If I remember right it focused on their in house Bronco the wife drove .
I dropped by their shop a couple times as well .
Advertised being the closest Bronco shop to the Rubicon !

twisted 66

Contributor
Loc.
Norcal-Tracy
I bought stuff from them, very nice folks. In fact Julie gave me a bunch of the bronco driver magazines years ago...

Spartan76

I went to them after I bought my first Bronco. Man, I wish I had gone to them BEFORE I had bought that one! Pete was a character. Real nice folks. Dan helped me big time with floor pans, door posts, inner fenders, etc. Also walked me through doing the suspension right and let me work out of his shop while he supervised. Really helped out a kid on a budget! I always wondered if he was still at it after I moved away.

canzelc

Contributor
I bought stuff from them when I was attanding Sac State in the late 90s. It awesome to have their shop shop right down the street. My rear drive shaft that is still turning came from their shop.

Galt72

Contributor
I also bought a bunch of stuff from them back in the day. Just a small shop off Power Inn Rd. Pete seemed to be all business but his son would talk all day about broncos. I was bummed when they told me they were closing. That catalog cover brings back lots of memories. Thanks