• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need to replace carb 451w in’73 bronco

jhtomchik01

Currently has a 2421me (evidently a Buick) carb. Began stalling out and now no fuel is getting to the carb but fuel pump is working. Recommendations?

SORRY 351 me

Last edited:

Cooper

Loc.
Northeast
Check all the lines and fittings between the tank and the pump, it sounds like you're sucking air instead of fuel.

OP
OP
J

jhtomchik01

Thanks for responses. I’m forwarding to my mechanic. In-line fuel filters were replaced. I’m not sure about the fuel line/connections but she did find that there is a disconnected line that probably went to the backup tank. :)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Where and how was the fuel pump tested?
How has the lack of fuel been confirmed in the carb?
There is very little between the pump and the carb. Should not be hard to figure out.

OP
OP
J

jhtomchik01

Carb response

We are getting fuel to the carb. I disconnected the fuel line going to the carb and fuel is getting to it. Just does nothing once it's in there. But if I pour fuel directly into the carb it will run till that fuel is gone.
Carb has obviously been taken apart a number of times. Fuel pumps replaced at least 3 times. Question: is this carb worth rebuilding? It’s a complicated version that was replaced by fuel injection. (Buick Riviera-2421me) What would be desirable to potential buyers? Thanks again!

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I want more information on your 451W stroker.

OP
OP
J

jhtomchik01

Automatic. Converted from manual. Straight California/New Mexico body. Holley intake. Dana struts. 35 “ tires (I think. ). Played with SoCal Broncos. Additional questions?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like needle and seat are stuck. Typical fix is to thump the carb with a screwdriver handle to shake it loose. Not really a fix, but get you back on the road again.

Guessing you have a Quadrajet carb? Not stock and off a buick tends to point that direction. Before you junk it find a good carb shop and see what they can do. Backyard rebuilds are OK, but when things get problematic it is time for a good carb shop.

OP
OP
J

jhtomchik01

Hi guys. We have decided to replace the carburetor and would appreciate recommendations. To recap: ‘73 with 351mw and 4 bbl Edelbrock intake. Current carb is 2421 me old Buick riviera carb with manual choke. Thanks in advance!!!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I'm guessing that it has a Buick carb so maybe it's a Carter or a Qjet? Does it say Qjet anywhere on it?

If it's a 4 bbl, this is easy and works good for on the road and you're just trying to fix it to sell it just go with an Edelbrock. Something like this. "Carburetor, Performer, 600 cfm, 4-Barrel, Square Bore, Electric Choke, Single Inlet, Silver," available Each $350 at Summit https://www.summitracing.com/search...Ascending&keyword=Edelbrock carb&N=4294921892

There should be a bunch of them for sale as it seems like nobody knows how to work on carburetors anymore so they all buy FiTech's so they can learn how to troubleshoot TBI fuel injection systems instead (this is supposed to be a joke). :)

Anyway, let us know what you have and we can maybe point you in the right direction.

Here's a place that rebuilds stock OE carbs...they might have the exact model you have so replacement for linkage, fuel lines, etc would be a direct "bolt on" making it easier for replacement. http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/cat-buick.html

Hope you get it running and sold without too much hassle.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...To recap: ‘73 with 351mw and 4 bbl Edelbrock intake.

Just so everybody is on the same page, what engine do you have? There is a 351M and a 351W in the Ford world. Both the same displacement and cylinder bore spacing, but completely different engines otherwise.
Most Bronco installs are 351W (Windsor) engines because it's the same family as the 302 that might have originally came in the Bronco. But there are a few here with the M and 400 based motors, which are the 335-series family of engines, which share some architecture with the 351C (Cleveland).

If you knew all that, sorry for the refresher. But with all the letters and numbers you'd been throwing around, I wanted to make sure.

Current carb is 2421 me old Buick riviera carb with manual choke. Thanks in advance!!!

Now that's an interesting carburetor!
Would be great to see it sometime if you can post up some pics.
Even though it's going away, it's cool to see what all is done to these rigs.

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
J

jhtomchik01

Thanks again! Sorry about my confusing numbers. Ignorance and age are my excuses. It’s a 351 W. Will post pic. My mechanic is pulling it this morning. :)

nvrstuk

Contributor
Pic of the carb numbers...

nvrstuk

Contributor
https://www.onedirt.com/news/rebuilding-quadrajet-carburetor/

Here ya go...

On the drivers side of the carb, right next to where the throttle connects there will be a series of numbers stamped vertically on the side of the carb.

Give us those numbers.

These carbs are extremely easy to rebuild... like anything that's 50 yrs old some parts may be worn out (likek throttle shafts, etc) but these are or should be addressed when rebuilt by a reputable outfit OR just remove the adapter and run the Edelbrock that I linked yesterday for a quick, easy reliable fix.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jhtomchik01

Thanks! We found a carb wizard through a referral from a NAPA customer and he told us the carb is “toast” and can’t be rebuilt anymore. Edelbrock is ordered. Appreciate all your help. Next major project will be wiring harness!!!!