• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Home stretch: paint and body shop time

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey that's good to have . Toms has a video on you tube I found also, I don't know how to do the link thing.

JT58

Loc.
Naples
I am having to start thinking about body work prep and paint too. I have a called a couple of shops and they didn't want it. Just like the replacement of body panels, floors and all the welding (which most shops did not want or wanted stupid money and I already got scammed for over 10K), I am doing it myself. I don't have a paint booth and for sure cannot use my garage so finding a decent paint shop doing it for a reasonable price does concern me. Why are body work and paint so difficult?

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's not difficult it's just time consuming and they make more money putting a new fender on for a insurance company.

Jc.av8r

Looks good so far. Did you end up going with Maaco? Honestly they will probably do an excellent job for you.

That feeling of seeing the body painted for the first time is pure delight. Congrats!

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Yes, Maaco in Chantilly VA. Those guys are great and for the price I cannot complain. I stopped by yesterday and they just have a few small things to work, seam seal the rockers, smooth the other seams, etc. I should have it back by early next week. They will shoot the color, then clear coat, then wet sand.

RustyButtons

Loc.
Springfield, MO
We have a place here locally that focuses just on restorations. They expect to have a spot for me in April. So it will take about 3 months to complete, and at $52/hr for labor they expect it will be in the $10-15K range.

Jc.av8r

Yes, Maaco in Chantilly VA. Those guys are great and for the price I cannot complain. I stopped by yesterday and they just have a few small things to work, seam seal the rockers, smooth the other seams, etc. I should have it back by early next week. They will shoot the color, then clear coat, then wet sand.

I assume they may provide a warranty as well? In the unlikely event of any issues with the clear coat etc.

Maaco can get a bad stigma but honestly it's a smart choice.

My body guy/painter did not meet my expectations and now he's out of business anyways so I am living with past decisions like it or not.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
And we have Lunar. Grill will be painted black and the whole thing clear coated, then wet sanded. But this looks outstanding considering what it looked like a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMG_1799.jpg
    IMG_1799.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1797.jpg
    IMG_1797.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1800.jpg
    IMG_1800.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Clean up and detailing, should pick it up tomorrow or Wednesday!

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 77