• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painless Harness on a 1966

fuentesfranko

Hi!

I'm about to embark on the adventure of installing a 28-Circuit Painless Harness on my 1966 Bronco manual.
I've watched many videos (many times) and have begun to read the instructions manual.

I'm wondering if there are any specific tips/quirks on installing this wiring harness on a 1966 Bronco with 170ci motor and 3 speed manual, or if it should be pretty much the same as any other model. Any wisdom, tips, suggestions, warnings, bring it on

I'm pretty scared and overwhelmed about doing this on my own with the little knowledge about mechanics and electrics that I have so any tips are highly appreciated.

Thank you!

AI98Xjm.jpg

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I've not installed one on a 66', but I know your new fuse box will not be in the original location after the new wiring is installed.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I've not installed one on a 66', but I know your new fuse box will not be in the original location after the new wiring is installed.

okie's right, are you sure you want that? If not I'll take it off your hands, at a discount of course ;D

Seriously though, I installed one on my 66 Mustang, just lay it all out and take it one page at a time, you'll be done before you know it, and if you're like I was and scared to death of a jumble of wires (I'm color blind too %)) you'll be surprised at what a simple system it really is.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
You need to buy the appropriate crimping tools and such for the assembly... It makes the job so much easier...

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
If you are rewiring to "stock" 1966 you will have a ton of extra wiring you will not be using from this kit. Example:
Side marker lights wires
Dura Spark ignition wires
Dash label light wires
Back up light wires
Neutral safety switch wires
Wiper switch wires
Dome light wire
Not to mention the 4 switched and 4 hot accessory wires.

That being said this is why I love this kit. You can add many items on their own circuit and it lends itself to customization. If you lay everything out just right you can make the engine compartment wiring disappear by running headlight wiring (and other stuff) under the fenders. just wrapping one up now.

The decision will be if you are not going to use some of this wiring do you take it out of the harness or leave it there rolled up under the dash. Good luck with the project.

Jim

wookie650

I'm in the middle of putting one on a modified '73 and it is going great. Read the directions several times. Once you think you have it down, read them again. Like most projects, it's all in the planning.

ptwist

Im currently installing one on my 66. Its incredibly straight forward. the only small issue I have had is getting the dash and switches to work out. I am adding electric wipers to the truck and the original dash didn't have a location for it. But that about as hard as it got.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What the others have said fuentesfranko.
Your '66 was certainly wired differently from the factory than most other Broncos, but not in any really major ways that would require you to do anything different from other installs.
It's basically up to you to put the wires where you want. Another nice thing about the kit.

Since it comes with the glovebox liner already cut for the fuse panel, location is a no-brainer and it's a better location than the original anyway. Assuming yours had a panel in the first place! Gddyap here bought a '66 and it did not have any fuse panel.
Sure, it should have. But we looked all over it and whoever removed it did such a clean job it looked factory original!

Your early style (up to the '70 model year) had the two large connectors in the firewall behind the engine. Painless includes a cover for those holes, and gives you the choice of running lots of wires through that cover panel, or mimicking the later models where the main harness branches came through the firewall in the corners instead. Leaving only the engine-specific wires coming out of the center behind the engine.
You can do it either way, but in my opinion it's cleaner running the main bundles (headlights, tail lights, horns, charging, battery, etc...) out through the corners so you don't have to cross over the firewall like the factory did on the early models.

But like said, you can do it either way. Another member is doing that right now and is running it mostly in the stock locations. So far so good if I remember.
Was that you by chance ptwist? If so (or even if not) maybe post up some pictures here in this thread too so fuentes can see how it's going.

Thanks
And good luck!

Paul

onpier55

Loc.
Roseville Ca
I installed the same harness on my 67. Lay it out. I used a p-touch to label everything so I could read it easier. Old eyes. Lol. It was real helpful. You’ll have a lot of extra wires.
Good luck.

OP
OP
F

fuentesfranko

Thank you very much everyone for all the tips. Will be reading the instructions front to back many times. I'll update with questions and achievements on this thread in case other '66 people are doing this.

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
I have a 66 and will be doing this in a couple years, any tips, tricks or mistakes you learn along the way please post them so I don't make the same ones!! Thanks

eric0o1

I've got nothing to add at this time, simply posting to subscribe so I can be notified in case anything comes up...you've got this!!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Eric! Good to have you on board always.
As questions come up fuentesfranko, fire away!

Paul

OP
OP
F

fuentesfranko

Thanks guys! Will ask questions for sure.
First question I guess, How many hours should someone expect to spend installing the harness? What's a healthy range for someone who hasn't done it before, but who is good at following instructions? ;D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good question! And one with no single answer.
It depends 100% of the installer, and even professionals don't always have an accurate estimate of how much to charge. So many little things to think about during the install.

From doing and reading about the different installs over the years, a new harness can take anywhere from a hard 8-hours done in a single day (rare, but at least claimed) to literally months of tinkering with different routings and checks and double checks and then tracking down what you did wrong.

I guess I'd have to say that most first-timers list at least a week of tinkering, without being able to devote full days to it. Because most people can't devote full days to their Broncos.

Let's see if we can get 904 back here to give an opinion. He's done a few of the Centech and now an AAW harness. None are exactly like the Painless, but at least he can give an approximation.
Doug?

Paul

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
fuentesfranko,

Go for it!

Years ago I installed their older 12 circuit kit and Jim is correct, you will have lots of room to add on and upgrade. I wish I had this kit instead of the older style.

As for the install, don't go cheap on the crimping tool. I did and 1/2 way through I discovered my crimps were not snug enough and had to recrimp some of the connections. Get some extra weather pack plugs from ebay or amazon and practice a few crimps. Once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of the same.

Good luck!
:cool:

eric0o1

I usually tell people to expect to spend about 40 hours doing an install. Yes it can be done faster, yes it can take longer, but for someone reading though the manual and doing their very best to do a nice clean though out job, 40 hours is about normal.

One thing you do not want to do is take it right out of the box and start installing. Like what was mentioned earlier, take the time to read the manual before hand with the harness next to you. This will help familiarize yourself with it and help you identify any wires you won't need or modifications you will have to make. It is much easier to remove and manipulate wires to different sections while it's spread out on the floor than with it half installed in a vehicle.