• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

disc swap caliper holder questions

ClintEastwood

Loc.
London, Ontario Can
Sure this is probably basic and a stupid question
when swapping over to disc brake using all ford parts I'm having some trouble
my knuckles I believe are either 78/79 bronco or earlier model f150
when I am installing my caliper brackets, I'm trying to make sure they are clocked basically at the 9 position and lining up properly as well as on the right side pointing towards the rear of the vehicle
it looks like the inner pad with the anti rattle clip should then slide in from the back of the caliper holder, followed by the caliper and outer pad
there seems to be a lip to stop it from going in this way, and it slides in from the other side with ease.

Does the pad slide in from the rear?

otherwise the whole hub and rotor assembly would need to come off so I'msure i've fouled something up.
Please be kind all lol

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got pictures of how yours is set up?
And did you put the spindles on after the bracket? (I think that's the only way they fit, but figured I'd ask anyway)

And what do you mean by "the 9 position" and "on the right side pointing towards the rear" in this case?
They do not orient straight back if that's what you mean? The calipers are more at the 2 o'clock position on the driver's side and the 10 o'clock position on the passenger side.

I thought I remembered the outer pad simply slipping into the bracket. The inner pad should be the one against the caliper piston.
Caliper piston is on the inside looking out basically.

And of course, bleeders up!;D

Paul

OP
OP
ClintEastwood

ClintEastwood

Loc.
London, Ontario Can
For sure I will get some pictures
I ahve the spindle after the bracket
I basically have the caliper facing towards the rear of the vehicle and lined up with the holes 2 on the top one on the bottom. The caliper bracket starts roughly at the 9 position on a clock and stops before 12 o'clock
everything I can see has the outer pad slipping right in. The bracket is basically hugging the knuckle so that it's on flat and the rotor/hub assembly goes on as far as it needs to
for some reason, when i go to slip it in from that side it does not fit.
Does the caliper bracket have any type of stopper on it? I wonder if mine are just in need of a clean up, it does seem like a pretty pronounced lip however

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure about that, but it sounds like you have them reversed.
The two holes are on the bottom. Don't remember a single hole in the other position though. But the caliper slider/locking plates are on the bottom.

Not sure what the single hole is for, other than perhaps one that can be used for a clip to keep the caliper hose steady? Never used one and that would not work on any of the trucks I've worked on, so not sure what that other hole would be for.
Here's where pics come in very handy!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Better yet, have you found any reference photos for yourself? I have not looked yet, but there should be some around.

OK, just looked in the book and I see where there could be a single hole on the bottom. But mine have two, which is why I never worried about having the problem that some have with a snapped off anchor bolt. Always had a second hole to utilize if that ever happened).
The caliper bracket does kind of hug the knuckle, but obviously the anchor points for the caliper extend outward and over the edge of the rotor. Is that how yours look?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And I apologize. You did reference the pads correctly.
The "inner" pad slips into the bracket behind the rotor and that is the one that the piston pushes on directly once the caliper is installed.
The outer one slips in with the caliper

Sorry about the confusion I added.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and no, there is no "stop" that I'm aware of.
The inner pad slips into the notches and butts up against the rotor. The rotor itself would be the only stop I can think of.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
At a glance it looks ok from here so far. Is that powder coated by any chance? Do you think it's thick enough to interfere with the fit of the inner pad?

What does the pad look like when installed as far as you can get it?
And what does the caliper look like when installed?

Paul

OP
OP
ClintEastwood

ClintEastwood

Loc.
London, Ontario Can
It is powder coated
I think it might be the problem lol I’m not even able to explain how many times I’ve removed and reinstalled this trying to figure it out. It was tough to press the spindle into the caliper holder at first then I brought it down some and it slipped on better.
Powder coating seems to really add a thick layer

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got a pic from a more rearward angle? Can you show the two holes, and the one hole that you were speaking of? I don't see any reference to holes on the top. Only the anchor bolt hole(s) at the bottom.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, it does indeed. Many a part installation has been buggered by powder coating.
It's almost always much thicker than liquid paint.

A light coating of liquid paint can even go on threads and not interfere. Try that with even a thin layer of powder coating and the threads are toast.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Powder coating on mating surfaces is not good. Too thick. Potentially too soft (squish out under load and fasteners go loose). Time for some selective cleaning.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even the slip-fit pad is tight enough that the coating could get in the way. That's very likely the "step" or "block" that you were experiencing when trying to install it.

Paul

OP
OP
ClintEastwood

ClintEastwood

Loc.
London, Ontario Can
it was 100 percent the powder coating causing it
thanks for the help sincerely

a good example of why this site is perfect, hard to find this answer in a book or online elsewhere

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Fantastic! Glad you got it figured out.
Shows how one pic is still worth it's weight. Without that we might have been scratching our heads for days!

You can still paint the areas that you've scraped off to keep them from rusting, or just so they look good. Nicely coated parts look great, but as you found out are not always appropriate.
A little matching (or close enough matching) over any areas you had to work on and probably nobody will ever know.

Paul