• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My 67 (The mutt) build - Coming home

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
a friend of mine who does body work for a living uses a two part adhesive all the time with excellent results. he clamps and screws the panels on and usually grinds the screw heads off after because they are usually bonded in there as well. sometimes he will add a few tack welds for good measure so I dont se any problems welding the screw holes up if you can get them out. the biggest key is making sure the bonding surfaces are ground down well to good metal and clean clean clean.

Thanks, I am going to media blast it so it should be good and clean! Was thinking of making them myself, getting a bender and bead roller from HF but I still cannot make the dimples. Was thinking that a machine shop could probably make a basic die to create the dimples. ;)

Maybe on the next one that my son builds.

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Tonights installment

So I went out later than I wanted to but I figure if I get a little done every night I will be in good shape. I was going to start taking out the floors since the replacements are on their way but I decided to remove the clutch/brake pedal assembly and the throttle pedal. I have included a picture of the throttle pedal since it had a throttle cable attached to it. You guys have probably seen this before but it was new to me and pretty cool. My guess is that it is for a PTO set up. Of course it could be very early cruise control.

I also pulled off the fiberglass flares which are in great shape and very old school. I will be saving these but putting on my Bronco Design ones for this build. I then tackled the roll bar and got that out of there. I think a few wires in the harness and the rear fuel filler connection and the body will be ready to pull.

Attachments

• DSC01446.jpg
    DSC01446.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC01447.JPG
    DSC01447.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC01448.JPG
    DSC01448.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC01449.JPG
    DSC01449.JPG
    273.8 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC01451.JPG
    DSC01451.JPG
    279.4 KB · Views: 94

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Comming apart pretty easy or fighting the whole way?

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
No complaints as of yet. Some broken bolts that will ultimately need to be drilled and tapped back out but as it stands I am in good shape. Who would have thunk that a 67 that has spent at least the last 5 years outside in New England with no hood and a bad hardtop would hold so much potential. I have been planning to build a wooden cradle like Bax did to hold the body while I build the frame. I am thinking though that if I could get it on a rotisserie to clean up the under side I will be in real good shape. Going to look at some temporary enclosure such as an "easy up" with sides that I can get for cheap and set up in the garage to sand blast in. I can hang plastic sheeting and build some frame work but I want to easily remove it all so that one bay can be parked in for the winter and still be used as work space during the day.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
man, you don't mess around.

keep up the great work as it motivates the rest of us slackers

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
man, you don't mess around.

keep up the great work as it motivates the rest of us slackers

Thanks. My philosophy is to try and work on it every night. 1/2 hour or 2 hours it makes no difference, as long as I continue to move forward. I did not make it out last night however, I had much more important issues to deal with. According to my UPS tracking, the floors should arrive today, but I am taking the wife away for the weekend so I hope to be able to get that completed next week, then the tub can come off. I should also have the NV3550 to D-20 conversion parts from AA by early next week, I have the 302 to NV 3550 conversion plate already thanks to Nick at Nick's Trix. So I continue to move forward. At this point I am thinking I should just order the cross member so as not to slow down too much when I get to that stage as I am not a fabricator. I also still have to resolve the bushing/ clutch plate and clutch asssembly I need to use for the conversion as I do not have those parts yet.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
eh, easy stuff when you're ready.....i am part of "team u joint'' afterall....

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
SO the Brown truck showed up today with some goodies. Will not get to address until next week, but now I am ready.

I will get some more pictures and take some of the rip out and repair as well.

Attachments

• DSC01453.jpg
    DSC01453.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC01452.JPG
    DSC01452.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Pulled the ebrake cable off of the floor and the dimmer switch. Then I placed the floor pans in and took these shots. Going to need some trimming but better that than to small.

Hose clamp works great on compressing the clip that holds in the cable.

Attachments

• DSC01455.JPG
    DSC01455.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC01456.jpg
    DSC01456.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC01457.JPG
    DSC01457.JPG
    270.7 KB · Views: 95

Miker

Bronco Guru
Man, you balance it all, removing parts, ordering new ones, canabilizing others, taking your bride away for the weekend, you leave nothing to chance, do you?

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Man, you balance it all, removing parts, ordering new ones, canabilizing others, taking your bride away for the weekend, you leave nothing to chance, do you?

Firm believer in the "Happy Wife, Happy Life" mentality! ;)

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Well I am away for the weekend but have found my "Sandblasting Containment". I want to be able to blast parts inside my garage to keep the hose warm so that I do not get condensate and cause plugs in the blaster. I was thinking of using a shed size Shelter Logic, but it won't fit in the garage and its too expensive. So then I thought maybe one of those ez ups that I could tape some plasic sheet too, but it would be a pain to put up and take down. Well today while we were out and about shopping on our weekend get away I found a 6x6 Ice fishing shelter at Cabelas for $150. It will contain the blast grit and fit inside perfectly so I picked it up. Now I can put down a tarp on the floor and tape this to it and blast all my parts, then clean up and get them painted.

Attachments

• sandblast containment.jpg
    sandblast containment.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 29

sellitall

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Malvern, Pennsylva
I blast outside in VERY cold weather (20 degrees and above) and never had a problem. I also have two water seperators on my compressor which helps.

In regards to the enclosure you bought, be careful because you MAY have a dust cloud throughout your garage or even worse your house if it's attached. Once the sand peens against the metal and turns to fine dust it will become almost smoke like. It's great for the lungs;D. If you have a property that you can build a "bus stop" sort of enclosure out of wood I'd do that instead of blasting inside. I've done a TON of media blasting in my time and THIS STUFF GETS EVERYWHERE!! The further away you blast from your house the better.

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I will keep an eye on the dust storm. Garage is detached and I plan on running an exhaust vent out side. Going to run a large shop vac. The line will be inside the enclosure and the vacuum will actually be outside.

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Got home early from our weekend away so I had some time to go play in the garage. Between my 4.5" grinder with a cutoff wheel and my air chisel I removed the bad area of floor on the passenger side. Still need to do a little more trimming on the new panel but the fit is coming out good. Overall very happy so far. Goal is to get these two pans trimmed in and secured this week. I also need to move the donor Mountaineer up closer to the garage before the snow flies so that I can get to it when I am ready.

Attachments

• DSC01459.JPG
    DSC01459.JPG
    286.4 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC01460.jpg
    DSC01460.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 96