• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Garage build?

Ict57

Finally moving forward with a new garage for me (not the wife!).

Planning 28’ wide by 26’ deep with 10’ walls and scissor truss 6/12 pitch roof. The peak of the vaulted ceiling will run sideways so as to allow two cars wide to go in the air, if needed.

By my math I should be able to raise a 78” tall bronco with full cab enough to work/park (a hot rod) under, also factoring for a 6” lift platform.

Anybody better at this than me and confirm I’m not nuts?

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’ll let the experts chime in with the height calculations, but would recommend a little more width or length if there’s room/budget. You won’t regret having extra space, and with parts, tools, etc it won’t be vacant for long.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I’ll let the experts chime in with the height calculations, but would recommend a little more width or length if there’s room/budget. You won’t regret having extra space, and with parts, tools, etc it won’t be vacant for long.

I second that... I did a 15' x 30', wishing I had gone 17' x 30'. I had the room... Those 2 extra feet to walk around the 2 post lift would have been helpful.

1buckeyefan1

Contributor

Planning 28’ wide by 26’ deep with 10’ walls and scissor truss 6/12 pitch roof. The peak of the vaulted ceiling will run sideways so as to allow two cars wide to go in the air, if needed.

By my math I should be able to raise a 78” tall bronco with full cab enough to work/park (a hot rod) under, also factoring for a 6” lift platform.

Check out garagejournal.com. almost as addicting as this site.

PS, go bigger if your budget allows.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
figure 10x20 per vehicle then allow a 10' wide by the length of which ever wall you want your workbench/cabinets on. so for a two car call it 20x20 then add a 10x20 area on the back wall or a side wall for workbench/cabinets/air compressor and extra parts. as far as height, two post lifts have a cross bar on top with a safety shutoff to automatically stop the lift at its max height, and most 4 post lifts are the same across manufacturers . figure what lift you are gonna get, get the specs for it, and allow proper height clearance for max lift height + vehicle height. then use that measurement for ceiling height.

build in lots of receptacles on several breakers and a couple of 220 receptacles spread out across the garage. Plum in a couple water spigots and your air lines behind the walls. put some receptacles in the ceiling for hanging drop lights and hanging extension cords. I wish I had put a grease pit in the floor of one of my stalls also. go with lots of led lighting.

might even want to consider a washer drier hookup and a stove and dishwasher hookup. those are good for washing rags and work clothers, an old stove for powder coating and a dish washer is a great parts washer.

if you are gonna use one rollup door in the front then go with an 18 foot wide one. mine are 16' and my cars have to be parked at a slight angle away from each other because they are too close together when pulled straight in through the 16' door. Also have a walk through door so you dont have to open the big door to just go in and work.

HVAC is great to have also. you can get a small split unit that will cool/heat 800 sgft pretty cheap.

put outside receptacles and water spigots also

PS: whatever you decide to go with in dimensions just go ahead and double it because it will not be enough. lol

Last edited:

Attac

Contributor
If Franko sees this he can give you every calc for size height etc.
But let me reitterate what others are saying. Go as big as you can handle. i built a 30x55 with 14' wall height. I have 3 bays that take 45' and the last 10' i put a second story for storage. Underneith that 10' area is where i put a room with my drill press, blast cabinet, small band saw and all of my chargers for cordless. the rest of that area is used for racks for paint, cleaners and storage spot for 4 wheeler. I have one work bench on the back wall about 12' long and 3 small to med roll away tool boxes. Bay 1 has my lift. Onback wall i built stairs to go to second story and under I put small closed in bathroom. The rest of under stairs is used for torch cart and My mig welder and plasma cutter. I have no room!!! i had to go get a 20 ton press and it sits near the stairs because you have to be able to swing and manuever parts around when using it so it needs open space. (ie: long driveshaft) so it cant go into the little machine room i built.
These Broncos dont take much room up until you tear them apart. Once you do that I think you almost need triple the space.
If you have the room and can afford it build bigger. You wont be sorry.
Oh just as an example I got the florida hurricane Rated GA Carport Steel building 30x55 with 3 10x10 roll up doors and 2 man doors with all engineering for county permit, delivered and installed on my slab for 19,850.00. The 25x40 I origionally was gonna get was 16,900.00 so not a big jump.
Chuck

Last edited:

Remos69

Contributor
Loc.
SW Florida
28ft depth is ideal because it gives you enough room to pull in most any vehicle or trailer and have working room in front or back with room for tools. Also look at 12ft wall with attic trusses, you will like a lot with storage. One other thing, make sure you have roll-up garage doors! You will lose a ton of lift room with normal doors.

I had a 24*48 with 12ft ceilings, I would have been better off with a 28*36

kempco

If you have a 6/12 scissor truss the bottom cord is usually 1/2 of what the top cord is so it would be 3/12. Keep that in mind when doing your math.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I would think about 12 foot walls as well. I have 14 foot walls and when the hoist is all the way up with my truck on it, it is close to the ceiling. Ken

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
As others have stated use roll up doors, my tracks follow the contour of the vaulted ceiling. I also used an industrial door opener, motor is at the side of the door. That gives me more clearance over head.
I also put a garage door on the back side so I still have access to my yard for large equipment. Gives me a good cross breeze in the afternoon/evening...
Outlets every 6 feet and multiple circuits and at least 220v outlet for a welder at each end.
I also did two skylights, hand crank open. Plenty of natural light and a way to vent the garage space when the doors are shut.

Cable/Satelite TV lines, Phone, speaker wires, Comm lines with the house too.

Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I second that... I did a 15' x 30', wishing I had gone 17' x 30'. I had the room... Those 2 extra feet to walk around the 2 post lift would have been helpful.

Amen.. much room as possible...

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Second bigger if allowable. The 40x50 I built last year is full and have nothing in it that was in the plan....LOL about to do 2 - 20' lean too's on it to store the added equipment that is now residing inside%) so it will end up being 50x80.....

OP
OP
I

Ict57

Thanks for the responses. For sake of this post, I actually simplified a the plan a bit in trying to confirm my inside ceiling height. The garage will actually have a 20w x 8d ‘entry’ garage, leaving the whole thing 34’ deep. This will also keep the garage door out of the main garage while also allowing me to mount my hoist (for engines & truck topper). The air compressor etc will be in small lean-to behind garage, don’t want that noise inside.

I can’t go much bigger overall and not sure I can do >10’ walls. I love in an old neighborhood and have to keep a proper aesthetic, so can’t do anything big or cheap like pole barn/steel building.

OP
OP
I

Ict57

And yeah, I understand that I’ll wish it was bigger no matter he size. But I should be able to cram 4 cars/trucks if needed before the lift.

And keep forgetting I did a full body off on a 57 Chevy (50% more vehicle than a EB) with tons of rust repair...in a 22x24 garage that the wife & kids go through daily. So anything is better!

BanditBronco

Here are a few pictures of my 30' by 30', I wouldn't go any smaller than it if you can. It is just about perfect for 2 vehicles and room for machinery and tools. The doors are 10'x10' 12 foot walls with vaulted truss so I could sneak in the lift.

Ex-claimer.... it doesn't look that clean anymore and these pictures are only a year or two old....

Attachments

• IMG_0915.jpg
    IMG_0915.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1186.jpg
    IMG_1186.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1444.jpg
    IMG_1444.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 146

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast

sorry didn't see this until now ....

6" heel, 24" cantilever trusses ... 6/12 pitch
designed 170mph wind, exc. C , FBC 2017 Res.

my cost to make them 1500.-

Hint ...if you 2-ply two of the trusses and place them at the proper location in the garage you could hang a hoist from the horizontal cord ....

also like to see block exterior walls ... ;)

Attachments

• lay.jpg
    lay.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 71
  • trr.jpg
    trr.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 109

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
If you have a 6/12 scissor truss the bottom cord is usually 1/2 of what the top cord is so it would be 3/12. Keep that in mind when doing your math.

Not necessarily !!! only traditional Overhang 6/12 roof 4/12 max vault !!!

6/12 & 6/12 its called a parallel cord truss ... the only way to do them is by having a cantilever !

Attac

Contributor
Nice to have our very own Engineer/arch on the board.
Franko is the man!
Chuck

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
Glad I can help .... Boxes / garages w. standard trusses like that takes me nothing to engineer ( max 5 min ) and usually very seldom something I get to do !

Its when others say it cant be done or toss in the towel that clients somehow find me and stuff ends up on my Desk for a last chance look !
Never had I something I didn't find a solution for it .... " I am not that smart, its just that I stay w. problems longer !"

Aero Roof / Trusses .... once assembles, its going to take lots of trimming and sanding ....
but hey who said it cant be done ? Just show me the money !!! :p

The "truss" shape is ingenious .... Best ever ! almost no uplift values ..Love it ! next !

Attachments

• 20180626_085148.jpg
    20180626_085148.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 118

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Glad I can help .... Boxes / garages w. standard trusses like that takes me nothing to engineer ( max 5 min ) and usually very seldom something I get to do !

Its when others say it cant be done or toss in the towel that clients somehow find me and stuff ends up on my Desk for a last chance look !
Never had I something I didn't find a solution for it .... " I am not that smart, its just that I stay w. problems longer !"

Aero Roof / Trusses .... once assembles, its going to take lots of trimming and sanding ....
but hey who said it cant be done ? Just show me the money !!! :p

The "truss" shape is ingenious .... Best ever ! almost no uplift values ..Love it ! next !

I will say it again,

"Did you ever know that you're my hero?"
Lol