• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Has anyone fabricated a fastback hard top for an early bronco?

Buck.n.Bronco

I searched the forum and the web. Has anyone ever heard or seen a fastback hard top on an early bronco?

I think the style of the hardtop is so boxy and frumpy/ugly frankly (my favorite is and has always been the angled role cage bars and bikini top but always felt a fastback hardtop that covered the whole (not a half cab) would look sleek as hell.

Already exists in softtop, but because of the support bars it always looks so lumpy/saggy to me)

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
"Boxy" is kind of why I like these things!;)

But I can see you or somebody else (now that you've sparked the idea) fabricating a sloping style roof for one. I'd have to see it to know if I'd like that look.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I saw one on a Full Size Bronco a few years back. I almost looked into getting one for my FSB but never followed through with that. As I recall the owner had it made for him.

Come to think of it, I didn't go this route because I would prefer, for looks and functionality, to have the top continue straight back past the back seat and then slope down to the tailgate.

Attachments

• FSB Fastback.jpg
    FSB Fastback.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Looks fast.....

Attachments

• 126271668_10218764522690260_1775859157374375447_o.jpg
    126271668_10218764522690260_1775859157374375447_o.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 308

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
then you the '68 Heep Commando look?

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
I did sketch one up years ago and thought it looked pretty sharp. I had put in a Johnson Enterprises rollbar (two hoops with a kicker down to the rear) that would have worked well for that. I think it had a recessed window with louvers down the back window. The “fin” look on the sides fit in with the style of the front fenders. The reality of a fiberglass build that large with the large glass probably brought me back down to earth. I also had a rear seat that wouldn’t be usable with a roof like that though I seem to recall thinking about a joint behind the front seats so the rear only would remove like the big Bronco.

Sheesh.. now my creative side is wound up, look what you’ve done. Lol

Scott

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I searched the forum and the web. Has anyone ever heard or seen a fastback hard top on an early bronco?

I think the style of the hardtop is so boxy and frumpy/ugly frankly (my favorite is and has always been the angled role cage bars and bikini top but always felt a fastback hardtop that covered the whole (not a half cab) would look sleek as hell.

Already exists in softtop, but because of the support bars it always looks so lumpy/saggy to me)

You gonna have to get creative like others, Do What suits your build and post LOTS of pics for the rest of us...

future generations will thank you

(no sir, not being a smart azz)

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I did sketch one up years ago and thought it looked pretty sharp.

Sheesh.. now my creative side is wound up, look what you’ve done. Lol

Scott

I'd like to see you re-do the sketch. Who knows, maybe one of the venders will think it's marketable. Or maybe one of savants here will follow your lead. Howard in beautiful West Michigan

trekgurl

Its called slant back top,,, if you search it and then wade through the copious amount of jeeps you'll see hummer makes (or made) some and some have pretty good design's. I've been kicking that idea around for many years ago, (still am) but what I did so far with a top suits me fine. I'm certain any boat (Upholstery place) that makes canvas tops can do it if you give them the measurments. Simple alumimun channel to attach you snaps and bolt to the bed in a few places using the top to bed bolt holes. My bronco will give you a better idea what the silhouette will look like. You just have to imagine it solid. You just about have to set up for a two seater though as one co-pilot is enough.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I fabricated this out of a full top. Sort of a fast back half cab with an open back. It could be made with the back "sails" extending farther back. The hard part would be making the hatch or lift gate to fit.

Attachments

• DSC02531.JPG
    DSC02531.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC02532.JPG
    DSC02532.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 285

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I'm kicking this idea around also since I had cut down an old hard top and made a "quarter" top w/small angled windows on the side. https://ibb.co/rxLMGSf

Whose is this? Looks identical to the one I made. I sold it to someone in VA about 8 years ago.

EDIT: The rear sails are a bit shorter so not my old one, but very close!!

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I saw one on a Full Size Bronco a few years back. I almost looked into getting one for my FSB but never followed through with that. As I recall the owner had it made for him.

Come to think of it, I didn't go this route because I would prefer, for looks and functionality, to have the top continue straight back past the back seat and then slope down to the tailgate.

I never got the appeal of this top? For one it just doesn't look good on a bronco IMO. I would rather see an enlarged half cab and leave the bed open to the elements. But to each their own.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
I'd like to see you re-do the sketch. Who knows, maybe one of the venders will think it's marketable. Or maybe one of savants here will follow your lead. Howard in beautiful West Michigan

I’ll see if I can come up with what I recall. I just got an iPencil a couple weeks ago and have been trying out some apps for drawing. I haven’t done much of that in a lot of years and have been finding it hard sketching on the slick surface of the iPad. Definitely works better than a finger but still not quite natural. My sister is the fine artist in the family and I always used to sketch up cars machinery etc. I had a better sense of perspective, but with animals, people, scenery she got it and I didn’t even try! I can always go back to good ole pencil and paper and take a pic.

Scott

Revelation

Bronco Guru
There was a guy on this board many years ago that was making tops and I was in discussions with him about making a fastback top for Chipper, Not long after he send me a concept drawing he fell off to the darkside and I never got to get a price from him, Good thing, I know a few are still looking for him.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE

Came up with something pretty basic. Probably even look better on a stretched Bronco. Need to get some bucks sent in to post a larger pic but I uploaded it to my garage. The front and back got clipped some, but if you zoom in it might give some ideas for now. The sides are small louvers either simulated or real. Not sure I love the look but it needed something there and I couldn’t make a small window look right.

Scott

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Buck.n.Bronco

Loving all of this. I'm interested to see the sketches too!!

The top I had in mind might not be right to call fast back in all fairness. It's akin to the angle in the back being just a bit more slanted from the regular boxy full hard top (maybe not even a full 45 degrees slant, but something like a 30 degree slant) The slant on bestop softtops is a good guide to what I was thinking. The bronco 2s had hardtops like this I think

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting concept and nice sketch! Does not look easy to fab though.

Last edited: