• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Finally starting my ‘66 U14 restoration

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Just do it when you can.. :) Looking good

I’ve been doing some work off and on.

Since the last update I hung both doors. They fit pretty well. I need to get a new plastic bushing for the window regulator, then I can put the inner panels back on. Need to get the door weatherstripping on, then I can permanently mount the top and do the final door adjustment.

Today I got my new tires mounted. I got BF Goodrich ko2 for it. Stuck them on this afternoon.

Getting closer. Still need to put the new foam and covers on the seats, but I’m finally seeing the end in sight. I’m so ready to be done with this thing, it’s been a long 2.5 years and a lot of effort.

OP
OP
KFS35

KFS35

Loc.
Belleville, MI
Over the last few days I’ve been working on the seats, and finally finished them up today.

Stripped them down, painted the frames, replaced a broken spring, then put new foam and covers on.

They turned out ok, not perfect by any means, but they’re much better than they were.

I painted the mounting brackets for the passenger side today, and need to pick up a spring for the locking mechanism on the drivers side before I can install them.

I did stick them in the cab this afternoon to see how they looked, though.

Attachments

• 69C900BB-F919-44C0-99FE-535297EB4D20.jpg
    69C900BB-F919-44C0-99FE-535297EB4D20.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 4EA1E61F-9964-4230-9221-D520FA469DEF.jpg
    4EA1E61F-9964-4230-9221-D520FA469DEF.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
KFS35

KFS35

Loc.
Belleville, MI
I’ve been doing some off and on work to the Bronco since the last update.

Mostly little stuff, like axle vents, vacuum line for the wipers, the washer fluid nozzles and lines, side mirrors and the front fender braces.

Seats are permanently installed, and today I installed the lower door weatherstripping, which finished up that job.

It’s getting close! I need to start thinking about putting insurance on it so I can get a plate and tabs.

No new pics, I want the next ones to be out in the sunshine after I drive it out of the shop.;D

OP
OP
KFS35

KFS35

Loc.
Belleville, MI
For the first time in over two and a half years, it moved under its own power.

I made a couple of laps around the yard, put my wife’s Datsun on the lift in the Bronco’s place and parked the Bronco back in the shop. Made an adjustment to the clutch, went to restart it, and the starter failed. I put the one off the parts Bronco on, and was back in business.

I need to put insurance on it, get the tabs, install the wiper arms and back window yet. I think that’s it.

Attachments

• A7A02CB2-FC9E-4F23-B192-D142343E581D.jpg
    A7A02CB2-FC9E-4F23-B192-D142343E581D.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 34
  • E58F4F1C-D3DE-40F4-9BF2-81838588E09E.jpg
    E58F4F1C-D3DE-40F4-9BF2-81838588E09E.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 39

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Fantastic! I'm hoping to be able to see it sometime this summer - Congratulations

OP
OP
KFS35

KFS35

Loc.
Belleville, MI
Thanks fellas!

Got it added to the insurance, now I can try to get to the MI SOS to get a plate and tabs.

OP
OP
KFS35

KFS35

Loc.
Belleville, MI
A couple of weeks ago, I got plates for it. I also get the back window put it . I had been vacillating on doing it myself, or taking it to the shop that put the windshield in. Finally decided to give it a shot myself. I used some paracord for the rope trick, and it went right in.

Put about 4 miles on it that day, and found a few squawks to work off. Also had to replace the clutch on the wife’s Datsun, which I wrapped up today. So then I was able to get back at the Bronco.

Issue #1:
The carburetor was still a little lean under mid-rpm acceleration. Same as it always was, it has always done it for as long as I’ve had it. I had soaked it in the carb cleaner dip for several days and put a kit in it during this restoration. I found a new one reproduction carb on eBay cheap, so I figured I’d give it a shot. I installed it today. It wasn’t exactly the same choke and accelerator hookups so I had to do a little parts swapping between the two. I got it installed and it seems to run good. Can’t road test it yet due to issue #2.

Issue #2:
The accelerator cable sticks occasionally. Which is not good. Ordered a new one from the only place that seems to have them for the six cylinder Broncos. Went to install it today, and the socket for the accelerator pedal end is missing. Waiting to hear back from the company I got it from.

Issue #3
It had a pretty good shake in the steering wheel at about 30, got better faster and slower. I assume it’s a tire, but I did bend the hell out of the right front brake drum a couple of years ago trying to get it off, it had seized on the hub. I had banged it back to where it looked straight, but I replaced it today in case that was the issue. I’ll drive it when I can, and if the shake is still there, I’ll swap the wheels and tires front to back.

Issue #4
There was a mysterious puddle of coolant underneath it today, and it wasn’t obvious where it was coming from. Until I pulled the carb, and then I could see some coolant puddled up on the intake around #5 and 6. Which is right under the heater control valve. I tightened the hose clamps, and that should take care of that. Hopefully

Got my new wiper blades installed today too. Just need to get a grommet for where the choke cable comes through the firewall, and buy a spare tire and get it mounted, and I think that will be it. At least I hope so