• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

When is it no longer Ford Powered?

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
I had a revelation today with regards to brand loyalty and Bronco engine choices. I believe the good majority on here shun a LS swap because of EVIL CHEVROLET, but welcome a Coyote, inner-fender-modded, expensive installation because it has blue blood, even though it's Honda-esque in it's power delivery.

But...what about a Dart block, with a forged rotating assembly that pretty much only uses a Ford water pump and thermostat housing? Is it because it "looks" like Ford that it is accepted? After all, it's 99% non-Ford...so why is that accepted and not say an LS?

Let's please keep conversation intelligent.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I think it has as much to do with the heart and spirit of each build and the builder/owners desires and use of the end result. I’m in the don’t understand a coyote swap camp, to me it’s just an “I spent the most” bragging right, no offense to anyone, some take great pride in having the latest greatest tech. I relate it to the Ferrari complex, it looks good, sounds good and draws attention but may not be the most practical or affordable. As for shunning the dark side I can say the dreaded LS is no more invasive or complicated to install than a 351, and you get fully tunable, factory supported fuel injection. It’s just a matter of what compromises the owner is willing to make. In my opinion once you leave the numbers matching restoration camp it’s all welcome and can be appreciated

DC_Gearhead

I replaced all of my sheet metal with stuff most likely made in China. Not much Bronco left.....or Ford for that matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

68ford

Bronco Guru
I also agree coyotes make no sense. They're giant and a ton of work. And for what? High rpm tq and HP that is not even really impressive? You can't stroke them to get more low end. I have a 438 windsor(aftermarket 4.125 bore block) cost less than a coyote and makes 500 ft lb before 3000 rpm. Peak tq at 4200 and peak HP at 5600. Run circles around a coyote. But will also NEED to be first to the gas station hahaha
I would never do an LS but they do make sense. Low profile front area of oil pan due to no shaft driven oil pump, can run large diameter headers and easily get to the bolts. Low intake due to front inlet design so no hood clearance issues. I would definitely do a stroker 400 plus cube LS3 long before a coyote.
Both can use 6r80, really short 6 speed bolted directly to an atlas.

Last edited:

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
The Coyote seems impractical for a lot of reasons.
I think my next step would either be diesel or electric.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The answer to this thread is based on opinions and one look at my user name will establish by bias.

Anyway, this is my opinion: The 'heart' of the Bronco really is the engine. It's what puts 'life' or motion, or movement to make a Bronco do what a Bronco does. When the 'heart' of the Bronco is transplanted for a competitive brand, to me, it isn't a Bronco! I can't look at a Bronco with appreciation if it doesn't have a Ford 'heart'. The same with a Chevy with a Ford engine, I just can't appreciate it! They are just 'bastards'....a mixed breed of a combination of parts. I can appreciate looking at a Bronco with any Ford heart, but I like them better if it is a period correct Ford engine... or appears to be. Yes, I agree that the Coyote engine swaps doesn't do a thing for me. If you want a Coyote, buy a Mustang or a new F150... BUT.... This is just my OPINION!;D;D;D

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like fordfan, I bleed BLUE. I will walk right past an otherwise sharp '56 Ford pickup, Bronco, Mustang or any other Ford if its got a 350, LS, etc. Might be fine for the owner...but it's not my cup of tea. Not even an option, I'm too brand loyal I suppose.

"even though it's Honda-esque" To me it's more like Ferrari-esque! ;D
Why is a Dart block accepted and not a LS? To me it's because the Dart is based on a Ford.

Just my opinion,
Norm

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like fordfan, I bleed BLUE. I will walk right past an otherwise sharp '56 Ford pickup, Bronco, Mustang or any other Ford if its got a 350, LS, etc. Might be fine for the owner...but it's not my cup of tea. Not even an option, I'm too brand loyal I suppose.

"even though it's Honda-esque" To me it's more like Ferrari-esque! ;D
Why is a Dart block accepted and not a LS? To me it's because the Dart is based on a Ford.

Just my opinion,
Norm

I like your opinion Norm.:cool:

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am fine with the 5.0/302. Nothing else matters to me. Do your thang it’s your truck.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I thought you were going to give me heck about my Cummins Diesel .
My Hunting Buddy just hates my Diesel Bronco.
.... This morning we went to coffee .He ask me if I'd found anything else out about my Grand fathers 1939 Ford pickup ..It's just to far gone .
... But I want something to put on my 1989 DODGE DIESEL FRAME. iT'S A 12v & 727Auto trans ..

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Back in the Early Bronco years, there were a lot of Chevy engines running in Broncos. It was simple economics.

If you've ever seen a small block Chevy in a Bronco, the first thing you notice is how it fits better than a small block Ford.
The distributor fits nicely in the notch in the firewall that was made for a six cylinder to fit.
Also, a Chevy engine has a rears sump pan by its nature. Ford had to adapt an extended oil pick-up tube to make a rear sump pan work.

If this bothers you too much, you can just put on a set of these Chevy valve covers with Ford script.
https://yourcovers.com/valve_covers_8357-7.php

What's strange to me is that diesel engines seem to be exempt from this purist attitude.

68ford

Bronco Guru
Back in the Early Bronco years, there were a lot of Chevy engines running in Broncos. It was simple economics.

If you've ever seen a small block Chevy in a Bronco, the first thing you notice is how it fits better than a small block Ford.
The distributor fits nicely in the notch in the firewall that was made for a six cylinder to fit.
Also, a Chevy engine has a rears sump pan by its nature. Ford had to adapt an extended oil pick-up tube to make a rear sump pan work.

If this bothers you too much, you can just put on a set of these Chevy valve covers with Ford script.
https://yourcovers.com/valve_covers_8357-7.php

What's strange to me is that diesel engines seem to be exempt from this purist attitude.

I read an interview with a very well known and respected hot rod builder who stated what you said about the rear oil pump and sump being the 1 and only reason Chevys were the engine to put in hot rods. Front sump pans were in the way of old I beam front axles and crossmembers on early indepent front suspension cars. This led to the huge aftermarket support of mostly only Chevys. It's been maybe 10 yrs since it cost the same to build a SBF and SBC?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Perhaps diesels have been (mostly) exempt due to it being relatively obvious to the casual observer that the owners were searching for something different (mainly torque output and rpm level) that Ford did not readily offer.

With a gas engine swap, in using a GM engine you are still using gas equivalent that was already offered in the Bronco and shows no outwardly obvious reason for going with a different brand. Essentially swapping around the same powerband and output potential (mostly) that Ford offers.

Well, at least at a cursory level of observation. Obviously it's not 100% true, but when you think diesel you automatically figure the person was looking for something different. Such as having all the power in by 400 rpm above idle and the potential to build it to 43,000 lb/ft of torque output.

So throwing a Chevy engine is just another gas engine. Throwing in a diesel is hunting for something that's actually different.

Paul

pbwcr

Any engine builder selling or building Ford crate motors will have the modern block technology just like current Ford blocks because that is the norm now days. What makes it a Ford is the block casting that matches the attachment to your rig. Like motor mounts, rear trans attachment dimensions, intake dimensions, valve covers, and other accessory provisions.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
I would think the answer is in the question, "powered." Any Ford engine installed in a Bronco would be Ford powered.

I don't see a problem powering a Bronco with other brands, unless it's a museum piece. BUT, there are exceptions to every rule! ;D

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I dont see the point in Chevy engines in Fords anymore. I would never do it! no need the 302 351 engines provide plenty of power for a bronco. The coyote is nice if you have the coin and the time to do it. I agree with others that the motor is the heart of the truck keep it Ford Keep it real.

I too have passed right buy a nice 49 Ford truck with a Chevy engine. To me its a short cut, Keep that Flat head or build a nice 302/351. If you want a 350 buy a chevy truck.

msmith

Perhaps diesels have been (mostly) exempt due to it being relatively obvious to the casual observer that the owners were searching for something different (mainly torque output and rpm level) that Ford did not readily offer.

With a gas engine swap, in using a GM engine you are still using gas equivalent that was already offered in the Bronco and shows no outwardly obvious reason for going with a different brand. Essentially swapping around the same powerband and output potential (mostly) that Ford offers.

Well, at least at a cursory level of observation. Obviously it's not 100% true, but when you think diesel you automatically figure the person was looking for something different. Such as having all the power in by 400 rpm above idle and the potential to build it to 43,000 lb/ft of torque output.

So throwing a Chevy engine is just another gas engine. Throwing in a diesel is hunting for something that's actually different.

Paul

This and, maybe I'm wrong, but diesels aren't necessarily brand specific.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Thanks sounds like you Guys excepted my Bronco better than I expected ..
.Yes & I feel mine was built for a specific need on my farm ..
.. I worked on my V8 SEVERAL YEARS . IN 105* weather it'd be hot before I got to the back pasture. Then If i killed it back there it might have trouble cranking if I let it set for 30 minutes.. Then it's gas mileage was only about 4 mpg when in the pasture
in 4x4. Not that i needed 4x4 but the best pasture speed was low range & 2nd gear to drive along through the cows .
...& My Diesel get about 16 mpg in the pasture .
I've never even driven it in 10+ years enough in town to know what it's town or hyw mileage is. Best I've driven it like that was at a car show cruise & I got up over 20. But It did get hot as the wire came off my Elec fan . & got caught up in the fan belt.
Nice time to have an Issue .
........But I didn't built mine to blow Black smoke of excessive noise & piss off the Natives. I'm not CALVIN.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I dont see the point in Chevy engines in Fords anymore. I would never do it! no need the 302 351 engines provide plenty of power for a bronco. The coyote is nice if you have the coin and the time to do it. I agree with others that the motor is the heart of the truck keep it Ford Keep it real.

I too have passed right buy a nice 49 Ford truck with a Chevy engine. To me its a short cut, Keep that Flat head or build a nice 302/351. If you want a 350 buy a chevy truck.

I am with you, even on street rods.

bosshoff

Contributor
I would have no issue with an LS powered Bronco. The Cummins 2.8L crate engine also looks like a great option. One of my favorite builds was the guy that used the supercharged Thunderbird engine. Unless you are building a stocker, who cares, not this guy.