• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1973 I’m not sure what I’m doing build

OP
OP
S

Shes mad

Anybody?

I did lift the back of the trans, but it only reduced the angle by .5 degrees

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
The IAC on the Throttle body will more than likely make contact with the hood. Most people delete the EGR elbow or rotate the TB for clearance. Then you have other mods to make to accomidate that.

You did not say, or I did not read far enough back to see what body lift you are running. You removed the 1" puck and then the body mounts lined up?

Typically when I do a body off, I put the body back on the frame, with the body lift, and then let it settle a few days. On occation, I will have one or two locations that I will have to pull the body down with the bolt. I don't do a final tightening, just snug, until all the doors and panels are on. You may be adding shims to the body mounts to close gaps or to get doors to line up.

The last thing I do is install drive shafts, I want the body fully loaded and the suspension compressed, as much as I can, since it will probably settle some on its own over time/use.

Regarding driveline angle, I haven't issues with that running a D20, 4R70W,and an Explorer 5.0. Someone who is running a 205 will need to chime in...

OP
OP
S

Shes mad

Awesome information. Thanks!

I am running a 1" body lift. I still have the braces in the body tub, so once I remove them, it may settle. Good information!

I thought about rotating the throttle body, but as you mentioned, that creates other mods.

Anybody ever cut off and lower the engine mounts on the frame? or a modified motor mount that will lower the engine in the chassis.

Trying to not reinvent the wheel, just looking at all the options.

OP
OP
S

Shes mad

Anybody know where this part goes. It always possible it doesn’t belong at all, but it was in the parts box

Attachments

• 3787E61C-428D-4351-97E9-C29F1FED7703.jpg
    3787E61C-428D-4351-97E9-C29F1FED7703.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 51

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Anybody know where this part goes. It always possible it doesn’t belong at all, but it was in the parts box

Rear stake for the hardtop, should be two of them...

They are a PITA if you ever want to remove/reinstall the hardtop - say top on in winter and topless in summer. Many people simply leave them off. If your hardtop is permanent then install them - they do add a little bit of rigidity to the sides.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
They are a PITA if you ever want to remove/reinstall the hardtop - say top on in winter and topless in summer. Many people simply leave them off. If your hardtop is permanent then install them - they do add a little bit of rigidity to the sides.

Completely agree on both counts... ;)

OP
OP
S

Shes mad

Another what’s this

It’s been a while since I worked on the bronco because I was waiting for the centech wiring harness, which finally showed up.

That led me to start working on it again, so I finished fuel lines and brake lines and working on intake. The IAC motor is going to be a problem because if I turn it 180° and I can’t get my oil filler on. The plug is in the way. Frustrating but I’ll figure it out.

Mounted the vintage air unit and all the pedals, firewall pad and dynamat in the front.

I found everything I needed to mount the tanks and fuel filler’s. But I ran across this piece which I know goes under there somewhere but I don’t know where.

Anybody chime in?

Attachments

• EDA93D0E-EE3F-42A2-92B5-D3B2025A49E5.jpg
    EDA93D0E-EE3F-42A2-92B5-D3B2025A49E5.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 63
  • D6420C26-3D24-4693-8E28-1F8A999CF762.jpg
    D6420C26-3D24-4693-8E28-1F8A999CF762.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
S

Shes mad

Been a while, but I’ve been moving forward. Need some PS help if anyone can figure this one out

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/explorer-swap-power-steering-help-im-stuck.315893/

I’ve been struggling with the power steering on my 73 build, and I need help!

1973 Bronco with 5.0L from a 2000 Ford Explorer. 4R70 trans, NP 205 Tcase

I have a new Borgerson steering box, and a stock Explorer pump. I just cannot get any PS action

So far, I have checked the hoses for correct pressure vs return. I even swapped them just for a quick start, so see if something would happen. Nothing…

I have the pressure line from the pump to the box, and the return routed from the steering box thru a cooler, and up to the reservoir.

I turned full turns left to right multiple times before starting, refilled fluid, and turned again while running
I replaced the new Borgerson box with another new Borgerson box
I replaced the pump
I replaced ithe pump again with a rebuilt Ford pump from the dealer.
I replaced the stock pulley with a Driven Smaller pulley
I pulled the return line from the reservoir, stuck it in the top of the reservoir, started it and got flow through the return.
I ran the engine at 3000 RPM.

In every case, I got the exact same result. Nothing, not even an indication or growl that something was trying to happen.

I’m lost for what to do next.

I need some guidance on where to go next. Any Help is appreciated!

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What hoses are you using? Stock type custom made for your application? Aftermarket with AN fittings and braided hose? If so, who's adapter fittings on the box and pump?
And now that you've flipped things around a time or two, you do have the pressure line towards the front of the vehicle and the return side to the port at the rear of the box. Correct?

paul

OP
OP
S

Shes mad

I’m not sure of the fitting brands on the box since it’s been a while. They are aftermarket braided Hoses with reusable 90 degree fittings. I do have the hoses in the right position though👍

The hoses and fittings are the only things I have not changed out.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Others will have to relate their experiences, but I remember talk of some certain brand fittings having a necked down opening that reduces pressure needlessly and too far and effects power assist.

Maybe while you're messing about, make a mess one more time and check out the size of the opening of the pressure line's fitting.

paul

OP
OP
S

Shes mad

Others will have to relate their experiences, but I remember talk of some certain brand fittings having a necked down opening that reduces pressure needlessly and too far and effects power assist.

Maybe while you're messing about, make a mess one more time and check out the size of the opening of the pressure line's fitting.

paul
I’ll check that out. I’ve tried just about everything else.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

I heard that..

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

paul

Definitely won't hurt..