• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Doomsday and Our Bronco's

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Just a hypothetical question here but it crossed my mind that if there ever was a bomb that emitted an EMP would it render our stock broncos useless?

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got a points distributor to replace your RtR dizzy? Along with a stock coil, stock voltage regulator, stock alternator, and stock starter
it could probably be able to run. Those with EFI are SOL, unless they have a intake manifold, carburetor and all those other parts.

Last edited:

ugly74

Bronco abuser
if you have an electronic distributor....
keep a spare module in your glovebox (or wherever) and be sure it isnt grounded. should be good.
a points distributor is another option

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
good to know...guess w/ my msd ready to run I'd be SOL ..ha

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Hey ya never know. I think it's wise to keep spares on hand anyways.
Vehicles kinda are faraday cages already, so it's a pretty simple step just to ensure that your spare part isnt grounded to the chassis

jckkys

Bronco Guru
It's hard say what may happen. Look up the Carrington Event in 1859. Even the telegraph lines burned. We're more likely to get a nuclear atmospheric burst from our friends in Iran.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Alternators would be gone because of the diodes and regulator electronics. Not sure about a generator. A close or powerful pulse might even get the windings?

Scott

patterdale

Bronco Guru
Just keep some spare parts wrapped in foil. Lol. It won't affect a set of points . Condenser maybe. Get mechanical voltage regulator. It screws up anything electronic not mechanical. Diodes In an alternator maybe.

Digger556

Just a hypothetical question here but it crossed my mind that if there ever was a bomb that emitted an EMP would it render our stock broncos useless?

No, highly unlikely. EMPs are apocalyptic boogie men. The government and military have published several reports on the subject, which can be found on the internet. The bottom line is that most vehicles would survive an EMP. The reason is that frequencies produced by an EMP are in the UHF/VHF range or lower, meaning to generate significant destructive voltage, electronics would need to be attached to an "antenna" of 1m or longer. Additionally car electronics are designed to be shielded from common EMI and are therefore hardened against an EMP. The reports summarize that car radios incurred damage in some cases, but engine computers typically survived. The engine may stall, but can be restarted. Solid state electronics like resistors, caps and inductors are not affected unless attached to a long, un-protected conductor.

So your points ignition will survive. Your EFI system will likely survive. Remember the entire body of the truck is a faraday cage. Not a great one, but it will attenuate the field. The EFI computer also is in its own faraday cage.

What won't survive? Just about everything plugged into the grid. All those long power transmission lines are massive antennas and will generate millions of volts, destroying most items attached to it.

If you were concerned. Place a spare computer and sensors in a faraday cage and keep it in your basement.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Gonna have to sort of disagree with you Digger. Yes, your stuff will most likely survive, but an EMP ionizes the molecules so a faraday cage or wrapping of tinfoil won't help, as it's radiation really that ionizes the touchy stuff, and fries it. Faraday cage protects against electrical interference, like a lightening strike, or stops cell phones from working, like tinfoil bags.

The real question is at what range do EMPs work? Doomsday scenarios claim 3 nukes of sufficient size over the US could turn us into the stone age. Probably get the power grid for sure, but cars of any type? I doubt it. EFI or computer controlled cars would work as long as they were not close. I think based on my studies, Points ignition would last if the EFI got fried? But Not a duraspark or accel msd, but pure coil and points, maybe. But even then, if it's close enough, it will, and any closer, well, it's a nuke so...

Good point on alternator diodes, they would go.

Read the book called "One Second After". Good sci-fi, Lot more to worry about than your car not working, seriously.

My plan? Have a spare MSD accel unit and coil, wrapped up. But not for emp, for a spare:)

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Well if the EMP screwed up the magnetic strips on my Debit Card and Credit Cards it would be a Mute Point anyway- LOL - - guess I could always phone in the orders - if my phone was still working - ��

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Doomsday is coming 2025 when they phase in all electric vehicles in enable for the gooberment to force sales they will have to get rid of gasoline. this renders Broncos useless. this is more likely than an emp burst.

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Doomsday is coming 2025 when they phase in all electric vehicles in enable for the gooberment to force sales they will have to get rid of gasoline. this renders Broncos useless. this is more likely than an emp burst.

probably true ...

kat

Loc.
Bristol
A LITTLE of subject

But living in Northern Florida and getting hit by CAT 4 and 5 hurricanes in the last few years I have learned a couple things. I always put my Bronco in a safe place because when its all over I can go places nobody else can. The tri-county area looked like a bomb went off. And always have extra gas and a chainsaw...my 2 cents

Digger556

Gonna have to sort of disagree with you Digger. Yes, your stuff will most likely survive, but an EMP ionizes the molecules so a faraday cage or wrapping of tinfoil won't help, as it's radiation really that ionizes the touchy stuff, and fries it. Faraday cage protects against electrical interference, like a lightening strike, or stops cell phones from working, like tinfoil bags.

When talking EMP, most people think of high altitude nuclear EMP, because that is the most destructive form. Gamma radiation is most capable of penetrating materials, but at high altitudes, gamma has minimal direct effect on the ground, but it does ionize atoms in the upper atmosphere generating the E1 pulse which maxes out at 50kV/m near the ground. This is the basis of much of EMP testing.

Here is another excerpt from the commission's report:
We tested a sample of 37 cars in an EMP simulation laboratory, with automobile vintages ranging from 1986 through 2002. Automobiles of these vintages include extensive electronics and represent a significant fraction of automobiles on the road today. The testing was conducted by exposing running and nonrunning automobiles to sequentially increasing EMP field intensities. If anomalous response (either temporary or permanent) was observed, the testing of that particular automobile was stopped. If no anomalous response was observed, the testing was continued up to the field intensity limits of the simulation capability (approximately 50 kV/m).

Automobiles were subjected to EMP environments under both engine turned off and engine turned on conditions. No effects were subsequently observed in those automobiles that were not turned on during EMP exposure. The most serious effect observed on running automobiles was that the motors in three cars stopped at field strengths of approximately 30 kV/m or above. In an actual EMP exposure, these vehicles would glide to a stop and require the driver to restart them. Electronics in the dashboard of one automobile were damaged and required repair. Other effects were relatively minor. Twenty-five automobiles exhibited malfunctions that could be considered only a nuisance (e.g.,blinking dashboard lights) and did not require driver intervention to correct. Eight of the 37 cars tested did not exhibit any anomalous response. Based on these test results, we expect few automobile effects at EMP field levels below 25 kV/m. Approximately 10 percent or more of the automobiles exposed to higher field levels may experience serious EMP effects, including engine stall, that require driver intervention to correct. We further expect that at least two out of three automobiles on the road will manifest some nuisance response at these higher field levels. The serious malfunctions could trigger car crashes on U.S. highways; the nuisance malfunctions could exacerbate this condition. The ultimate result of automobile EMP exposure could be triggered crashes that damage many more vehicles than are damaged by the EMP, the consequent loss of life, and multiple injuries.

There's lots of published reports out there and if you read enough of them, you start seeing the reoccurring themes. I'm no expert, but my main take-aways are:
- most cars will survive and run even if there is a minor nuisance issue
- car wrecks are more of a danger
- if your car is not running when an NEMP hits, it's chances of surviving go way up.
- failure of electronics depends on their shielding and their connection to long conductors or antennas.