• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

CB radios

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
Just wondering what CB radio is worth buying? And where is a good place to purchase them? I have seen a lot of options such as on Amazon. But there are something s you shouldn't skimp on , like a good set of brakes. If your going to install a CB it's because you plan on using it and when you do you want it to be reliable. I know there are two extrems, cheap and very expensive. Looking for a good medium.Thank you in advance for your time.

msmith

I live in the heart of oil and gas right now. I have a small Bearcat in my Superduty and a Lil Will antenna that's tuned. It's a cheap no frills but durable radio. With the hills around here, from the ridgetops it can reach pretty good. In the hollers, maybe a mile or so. I got it to monitor oilfield traffic on the back roads and to communicate with their traffic control and it's fine for that. If I had it to do over, I'm not sure I would get the same one but am fairly happy with it for the money. 3 years ago I paid around $85 locally for the radio and antenna.

https://uniden.com/collections/cb-radios/products/pro510xl-40-channel-compact-mobile-cb-radio

https://www.amazon.com/WILSON-305-38-300-Watt-Little-Antenna/dp/B001AAT94W

bbolander

I've used the simple and small Uniden Pro 520XL for a long time. Works great and easy to find a place to mount.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
My signature below shows my Cobra model number and amp.

Strong because its amplified.

It's good insurance.

Used to have fun playing hide and seek in the woods at night with your head lights off.

You would watch your signal meter on your cb or amp. Big signal meant they were close. If you find them first you blast them with the Q-Beam.
Yes I said Q-Beam....lol...it was the 80's.

ArmyCOL

I have a Uniden PC122XL that I got in '96. Has upper and lower side bands. I have a K40 whip antenna. There is also a 150 watt amp, but that is not installed. All components work well together.

Looking at adding a KENWOOD TM-D710G Mobile 2M, 70cm Amateur Radio to the communications kit bag.

MeyerzBronco

I'm selling my cobra if your interested.

f1324b091752475ab7fa21200a36192e.jpg

AKwheeler

If you step up to a HAM radio, you can get some decent range out of them, plus lots of extra features. My Yeasu allows me to text message or email via the radio (and receive messages back), allows me to track others via distance and direction, sends out my location, direction and speed (even a quick message) via APRS so that my wife or friends can track me. Most everyone in my .org runs them. I kept a CB in the samurai, but the bronco gets 2 HAM radios for comms! You do need a license to operate, but the test isn't hard and its cheap.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
My talk back started walking on me and space monkeys got to loud so I've shelved my old Cobra for now;):D

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
I switched over to 2m many moons ago for clarity and distance all in 1 unit. I'm running the KENWOOD TK-7360HK. There are also options for handheld units that transmit 5w and 8w that are under $50.
If you do end going that route, just make sure that you get a model that transmits and receives in the 136-174Mhz range.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I switched over to 2m many moons ago for clarity and distance all in 1 unit. I'm running the KENWOOD TK-7360HK. There are also options for handheld units that transmit 5w and 8w that are under $50.
If you do end going that route, just make sure that you get a model that transmits and receives in the 136-174Mhz range.

and buy a bunch of hand hand held's to hand out to your buddies when your out on a ride. They are great for spotting too

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
and buy a bunch of hand hand held's to hand out to your buddies when your out on a ride. They are great for spotting too

Yes! They're the perfect little handheld. We even use them to communicate at the lake since they have marine channels 16 & 68. We have our own group channel as well to make plans between the group for launch times, evening parties, etc.