• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Crate motor options

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
Hi all,
Long-time member on the site but haven't posted in years. I'm looking to purchase a new mill and wanted to get some opinions from the board.

Ideally looking for a 302, would consider going for more hp but obviously I'm more interested in low end torque - not top end speed.

I'm kinda leaning towards the bolt-on EFI's like the fitech or sniper kit, but not completely certain about moving-on from the 4bl.

I'm interested in which vendors are making quality engines? Any pros/cons on ATK and Blueprint?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
One thing to be careful about when selectin a crate motor, is the power range they are selling you. Most of Blueprint's offerings are so pipey that they recommend a higher than factory stall rated torque converter. I think their Bronco Edition 306 gets around that by using a cam with 114 degrees of lobe separation. Their other motors have 112 degrees.
Personally, I think their best engine for a Bronco is their 300 HP 302.
https://blueprintengines.com/collections/bp3024-engine-options
And I don't understand why they call some 302 and some 306? They're all 5.0 blocks with a .0040" overbore. Even the sales rep couldn't answer that.?:?

I've spent a lot of time questioning the Blueprint sales reps. Their web page doesn't nearly answer my questions. Whatever you do, buy direct. Buying from a vendor won't save you any money and will give you less options. You can select timing cover, rockers, the pan, and even the color if you buy direct.

Also, here's a tip...They'll try to charge shipping. Just tell them that Summit ships for free. They matched that for me.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I know you said 302, but you can find a stock rebuild 351W for a later 1996 Ford Bronco with a Roller Cam. Very nice low end torque motor with a Warranty. Think I got that from O'reilly's???

You still can go the 2B route as well with a Sniper 2300 EFI System mounted directly to the original 302 2B intake. It's good for up to 350HP. I will be installing one of these this weekend.

OP
OP
raleigh_bronco

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
Guys. Thanks fir those responses! I'm concerned with clearance on the 351. So strongly leaning 302.
I will definitely check on the enginefactory!

Any feedback on ATK?

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a Bronco spec Blueprint 306. Very happy with it. Do Not Use FiTech! If you want throttle body EFI consider Holley Sniper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought an ATK for a customer on a budget, maybe 6 or 7 years ago. Looked okay, but noted that oil pump driveshaft wasn't installed correctly - not in hole for distributor.... So I called them and I said I could correct it rather than wait. Then got it up and running and wasn't sounding right - Took apart and found that it had a mishmosh of parts in it with rods resized to run incorrect bearings, etc. I only go with motors I have rebuilt now.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had a bone stock 351 in my bone stock no body lift EB, fit fine. Low rise air cleaner and low rise 4 barrel intake. I even think my body mounts were squished to half height from age, still no issue other than driver side firewall and valve cover, that can be corrected shifting motor just a little on mounts and using short valve covers.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Hi all,
Long-time member on the site but haven't posted in years. I'm looking to purchase a new mill and wanted to get some opinions from the board.

Ideally looking for a 302, would consider going for more hp but obviously I'm more interested in low end torque - not top end speed.

I'm kinda leaning towards the bolt-on EFI's like the fitech or sniper kit, but not completely certain about moving-on from the 4bl.

I'm interested in which vendors are making quality engines? Any pros/cons on ATK and Blueprint?

Welcome back...

PDQ

Contributor
Prestige Motorsports built a great motor for me

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I had a bone stock 351 in my bone stock no body lift EB, fit fine. Low rise air cleaner and low rise 4 barrel intake. I even think my body mounts were squished to half height from age, still no issue other than driver side firewall and valve cover, that can be corrected shifting motor just a little on mounts and using short valve covers.

I've seen 351s under stock hoods with no body lift many times. As you describe, stock low profile intake is the key.