• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Body Width for Hard Top

skymast

Thinking about buying a hard top for my 76 that hasn't had one in a LONG time. Does anyone know what the interior inner body width should be so that it will line up? Thank you.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not off the top of my head, but if needed I'm sure one of us can measure a known-good one.
But curious why the need to know? If it's a Bronco top shouldn't it fit? Or is your question geared more towards whether or not your body is so messed up that buying and fitting a hard top would not be worth the trouble?

Are your door gaps good? Body lines and door lines line up?
Are your tailgate vertical gap lines straight/parallel? If so then the body really ain't going nowhere. Nor should it need to. If you need to pull it in or out to line up with a top, the top itself should be the more flexible piece and pulled or pushed to fit the body.
And if the body is not to spec, would you have plans to correct that? Or just pass on the idea of a hard top altogether?

A proper Bronco top for '76 would have had the full stake-pocket anchor brackets (I'm sure there are pics around here somewhere) and those would also serve to hold the body and top in at least close to proper alignment.

Granted, a lot of Bronco bodies have taken a beating over the years for sure. And I've seen some real doozies that should have fit, but didn't come close. Don't know if it was an issue with the body, or the top.
But if those other panels on yours are still lining up fairly well, I would think a top would fit fairly well too.

Paul

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Measured straight across " bed rail " to " bed rail " is 56 inches. This correct measurement also makes it easier to align the doors.

OP
OP
S

skymast

yes, this is specific to whether it will fit after years of not having a hard top on. My doors do line up so sounds like that's a good start. Thank you!