• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cowl repair

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does anybody make a prefit/fabricated fix for the lower part of the Windshield Cowl that seems to rust out on all these Bronco's? I have a couple different ideas to address the issue, but was curious if there is something already out there. Mine isn't really that bad but the surface has taken a beating over the years and it would be easiest to address it now before I really start bolting it all back together.

Below is what I'm dealing with and area I 'm looking to either ignore completely and move on.... or weld in a plate eliminating the channel.

Attachments

• Firewall water collector thingy.jpg
    Firewall water collector thingy.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 97

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
that channel is structural it holds up the steering column and peddle assembly. before patch panels people would weld in a piece of structural tubing. I'm sure the lower piece is available as people are making new tubs.

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
I don't know if they make the channel piece or if you have to fabricate it, but the name of your picture is great!
"firewall water collector thingy" LOL

OP
OP
JeepGuy

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't know if they make the channel piece or if you have to fabricate it, but the name of your picture is great!
"firewall water collector thingy" LOL

I call it like I see it.;D

OP
OP
JeepGuy

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
that channel is structural it holds up the steering column and peddle assembly. before patch panels people would weld in a piece of structural tubing. I'm sure the lower piece is available as people are making new tubs.
What I'm thinking is just welding in a flat piece that basically covers the channel so there would be no valley there. I'm not interested in cutting it out. Looks like someone tried that long before I owned this Bronco, and I know other people have done the same thing essentially making it slightly pitched toward the engine compartment. I was just more curious if any of the vendors have gone as far as actually making a template or precut panels to fit in.... kinda like you can find to box in older C channel frames.

Scotty

I think what you're describing was close to the original design. The rear of the 2 cowl pieces extended to base of what Wild Horses calls the "windshield frame cowl panel". I guess yours was cut out so that someone could put down a rust convertor and/or allow it to breathe/vent/evaporate.

These are 2 replacement pieces I got from Wild Horses about a month ago. I'm considering adding several holes to the bottom of the channel/trough to allow drainage.

Attachments

• 20211015_124001-2.jpg
    20211015_124001-2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 64

freemanrebel

Yes its available. I started with trying to replace a small section in the cowl with new metal only to find it had rusted through the trough part of the windshield support. I replaced both the windshield support and cowl with all new metal. Just make sure you get the right year for yours there are slight differences. 66-67 where different from 68-77 and some vendors list the cowl pieces as good for 66-77 which isn't necessarily true.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Make sure to use the seal on the back of the hood an where the water runs off the end of the seal and runs down the fender make sure the end of the cowl is pitched enough to drain off the end of the fender instead of running into the end of the cowl channel.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
What I'm thinking is just welding in a flat piece that basically covers the channel so there would be no valley there. I'm not interested in cutting it out. Looks like someone tried that long before I owned this Bronco, and I know other people have done the same thing essentially making it slightly pitched toward the engine compartment. I was just more curious if any of the vendors have gone as far as actually making a template or precut panels to fit in.... kinda like you can find to box in older C channel frames.

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Windshield_Frame_Cowl_Panel/bronco_Windshield_Parts

THIS,,,/\/\...pretty easy to do but then you'll have to deal with the windshield hinge as well...was oing to repair mine like you said but the more i poked at it the more holes i made.......