• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Home stretch: paint and body shop time

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
So I am almost there. All major work is done and I have a quote and scheduled time for the work. I think I am going to go back to the original Lunar Green, but with a slight custom edge. The inside will be Rhino except for the doors and dash, those will be Lunar Green and Wimbledon White respectively. The door panels will be Rhino'd and the rockers and corresponding lower fenders/quarters will be Rhino'd. Just that lower edge below the rocker line. The cage and bumpers will also be Rhino'd. I really like the Rhino Extreme product, very though, thick, and looks really good. I'm also going with the black WH Gorilla Warflares and satin black on the grill. I have no near-term plans for the hardtop yet, rarely use it so I'm in no rush. The first pick is what got me leaning towards the original Lunar Green.

Attachments

• lunar green bronco.jpg
    lunar green bronco.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_0763.JPG
    IMG_0763.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 385

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Herman's Gumby has motivated a lot of people over the last few years. Sounds like an overall good plan.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Wild Horse Gorilla Warflares installed. So much better than the old fiberglass set. Easily covered the PO's hack job on the quarters.

Attachments

• IMG_0774.jpg
    IMG_0774.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0773.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 280

ramrick

Loc.
el paso
What made you go with the Gorilla Warflares? I'm getting ready to get body work on mine done but was thinking about going with the bushwackers....not sure yet though. Could you post pic from front or rear....interested in seeing just how much they stick out. Are those 15x10 with 33's? Thanks in advance

hokanson86

I have the Gorilla warflares on mine as well and it was a awesome upgrade from the fiberglass ones that chipped and broke all the time. The Gorilla flares are so flexible you could tie them in a knot and then put them back on your bronco and they still look prefect.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
I went with the WH GWs because they had great reviews and they easily covered the butchered openings of the quarters that one of the POs "crafted". I first tried one of the competitor's flares and while they made the same claims as WH, they just didn't bend and stretch. I returned those and spent the good money on the WH GWs. They don't stick out any more than the old fiberglass models, but they are way more forgiving to install. I duct taped them to the Bronco to mock them up and when I got them just right I used even more duct tape and a magic marker. Then I followed the instructions and it was a breeze. And yes, those are 15x10 with 33s. I have about a 3.5 inch lift, so I might go with a larger wheel/tire combo in the future, but nothing crazy big.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
More fitment pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0776.JPG
    IMG_0776.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0781.JPG
    IMG_0781.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 174
OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
UPDATE: the shop that agreed to paint my truck backed out of the deal and I got the run around from some other shops, so I took matters into my own hands... sort of. I had the Bronco dustless blasted (see attachments) and she goes to the paint shop tomorrow for real. I wish I had it blasted way back because it definitely identified some unknown rust and dent issues. Now that those are fixed, I feel pretty confident that this new paint job will out last me. I'll post after pics in a few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 125

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Same color? Spotted this last week

GnUoofG.jpg

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Just dropped it off today. I’ll post pics as soon as it’s done. Then I get the fun task of trying to figure out how to put everything back together. I’m pretty sure I forgot how all the door and tailgate hardware go together.

Attachments

• 10A174D2-2CFA-4D71-AAE6-49BD8688C644.jpg
    10A174D2-2CFA-4D71-AAE6-49BD8688C644.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 103

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My shop took 1 year to paint mine, so get ready for a possible LONG wait.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Wow, that sounds frustrating. I did all the metal work, all they have to do is mud and paint. And by they, I mean Maaco. The local shop has done some good work with classic cars and they charge a lot less so... I’m rolling the dice.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Wow, that sounds frustrating. I did all the metal work, all they have to do is mud and paint. And by they, I mean Maaco. The local shop has done some good work with classic cars and they charge a lot less so... I’m rolling the dice.

same here I did 100% of the sheet metal and 85% of the sanding and filling too...Maaco? you are rolling the dice, lol. I havnt heard anything terrible just don't expect a show quality paint job...

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru

I am sure Maaco varies by location just like all shops. Ask for the primer types "etch, epoxy, high build blocking.....and steps they are gonna use and type of paint lacquer, enamel, urethane..... single stage or base/clear coat