• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The what did I get myself into 1971 Restomod - BUILD THREAD

OP
OP
A

Audifan

Contributor
Yesterday wired and mounted 6 LED Lights to the roof rack and then remounted the rack to the roll bars.

I got the lights from SuperbrightLED.com and they are the 8" double row LED's
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/off-road-led-light-bars-straight-and-curved/8-off-road-led-light-bar-13w-2700-lumens/1479/3240/

I used DEUTSCH weatherproof connectors to connect the lights to the wiring harness inside the winshield. My Brother In Law works for Caterpillar and let me borrow the DEUTSCH tool, which made it a breeze

The wires are routed down behind the dash and are just hanging there as I haven't wired them into anything yet, but the plan is to have each go on their own switch and relay, and into the accessory fuse panel I still have to install somewhere.

---

and on a different note, I got the railing, gate and top cap done on the mezzanine and also got the sheet vinyl installed...only problem is now it looks too pretty to use.

Attachments

• racklights-front.jpg
    racklights-front.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 94
  • racklights-rear.jpg
    racklights-rear.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 20190425_171256.jpg
    20190425_171256.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 20190425_171245.jpg
    20190425_171245.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 101

redfishtony

Loc.
Thomasville GA
Audifan, If you dont mind me asking, what material is your dash covered with. I noticed it in one of your post and it looks really good. Super nice bronco. Thanks, TW

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Nice rack! It looks like your bikini will still fit. (That sounds wrong...I know)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Keep us updated if they perform well and you wind up happy with how they work out for you...

Yesterday wired and mounted 6 LED Lights to the roof rack and then remounted the rack to the roll bars.

I got the lights from SuperbrightLED.com and they are the 8" double row LED's
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/off-road-led-light-bars-straight-and-curved/8-off-road-led-light-bar-13w-2700-lumens/1479/3240/

I used DEUTSCH weatherproof connectors to connect the lights to the wiring harness inside the winshield. My Brother In Law works for Caterpillar and let me borrow the DEUTSCH tool, which made it a breeze

The wires are routed down behind the dash and are just hanging there as I haven't wired them into anything yet, but the plan is to have each go on their own switch and relay, and into the accessory fuse panel I still have to install somewhere.

---

and on a different note, I got the railing, gate and top cap done on the mezzanine and also got the sheet vinyl installed...only problem is now it looks too pretty to use.

OP
OP
A

Audifan

Contributor
Audifan, If you dont mind me asking, what material is your dash covered with. I noticed it in one of your post and it looks really good. Super nice bronco. Thanks, TW

It does look really nice...now. LOL.

The PO glued one of those plastic dash covers over the original dash pad and when I had the windshield down I taped off the dash and primed both the pad and the dash cover with gray plastic primer and then painted it satin black.

Now, that I wrote that, I realized you might be actually talking about the dash itself, and if thats the case...the dash is sprayed with LineX bedliner.

Nice rack! It looks like your bikini will still fit. (That sounds wrong...I know)

Sounds wrong, but true, I can still get a bikini top on between the rack and the cage, but I'm not a fan of the stock bikini tops, the fit is to sloppy and they flap too much for me.

I have a local boat upholstery guy here that made me a custom outdoor kitchen cover a few years back, and I'm gonna have him make me a bikini top that straps down better on all sides and has attachments underneath to tie it to the roll bars in the center as well.

OP
OP
A

Audifan

Contributor
Is there a part # on those visors or whats the easiest way to order them?

Sent you a message. ICON is definitely not the cheapest way...might be the easiest, but I paid significantly less going direct.

OP
OP
A

Audifan

Contributor
Tear down time.

Haven't been on here in a while, as life has kept me busy, but through all of it I've been driving the Bronco as my daily driver all summer.

We also got to participate in Hot August Nights here in Reno for the first time...even though I'm a local. Had a great time and met a bunch of new bronco people which got me fired up to get working on mine again.

Best news is, I finally found a body and paint guy I'm confident in and will be dropping it off soon to let him get started.

Bad news... I have to strip the EB down...which wasn't bad until I got the carpet out (had been glued down) and discovered that the ugly dog shit colored "bedliner" wasn't a real bedliner at all, but rather that rubbery painted in Rhino Liner.

Which it turns out DOES NOT actually bond to the metal and form a watertight seal. with a little bit of picking you can peel it up and parts of it will pop loose...it was so bad I have zero confidence in it protecting the body, so I'm pulling it out...Which blows.

A chisel, hammer, torch, gloves and a lot of muscle are ripping that crap off to expose the body, which will be properly prepped, primed and coated with Lizard skin this next time around.

Just to keep complaining though...I have no idea what they were thinking with this stuff...it is over a half in thick in some spots like the floor pans...like they just poured it out of the bucket and let it cure in a pool.

needless to say it was and is an unexpected speedbump as I get this think stripped down for body work.

Attachments

• td5.jpg
    td5.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 164
  • td3_5.jpg
    td3_5.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 156
  • td3.jpg
    td3.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 152
  • td2.jpg
    td2.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 154
  • td1.jpg
    td1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 141

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That tailgate piece is a wall hanger! around here their prep is wiping it down with alcohol and tape it to spray.

OP
OP
A

Audifan

Contributor
Protofab bumpers FINALLY arrived.

In terms of quality...they are outstanding.

In terms of fitment, using their spacers with the 2" bodylift...we will see :/

I only have 2 minor issues. First, when I ordered, I asked them to cut a hole in the rear bumper for the trailer wiring plug....they did not cut the hole even though they added it to invoice and said they would.

And second, they do not provide mounting hardware to go with their bodylift spacers or instructions for how to use their different shaped spacers correctly.

But overall I like them and love the look of the plate style bumper.

Once I find someone to cut the hole for me, they will be off to powder coat for a Black Satin smooth finish.

Attachments

• protofab1.jpg
    protofab1.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 120
  • protofab2.jpg
    protofab2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 109
  • protofab3.jpg
    protofab3.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
A

Audifan

Contributor
Lipstick And High Heels

I've finally had to admit to friends and family...as well as myself, that I wasn't quite as smart as I thought I was with the EB that I purchased back in December.

As you may recall from my initial intro post, I purchased a Bronco that was in my words "most of the way done" instead of building it from the ground up, because of a lack of time.

And I paid through the nose to get one as "nice" as I did.

Well, the more I get into this thing the more I find. Shoddy work, band aids instead of fixes, and shine over substance. I've already spent a small fortune fixing much of what I thought I purchased already 'done'.

And I have finally admitted both to myself and publicly that I fell for the "Lipstick and High Heels" without really getting to know the girl first....and it bit me.

Now, my "Most of the way done"..."BOUGHT"... Bronco is getting stripped down to nuts and bolts and being turned into the "BUILT" type of bronco I did not have time to build.

And the hardest part to me to deal with...is the money. Not that I can't afford it, but rather that because of my stupidity, this bronco is going to cost more than DOUBLE what it should have. I'm throwing good money on top of sunk money at this point.

But I'm not quitting and I still love the bronco and can't wait to see her become a bronco of substance as well as polish. Plus I'll have a gorgeous reminder of the price of stupidity and not doing my due diligence.

As to where we are at...I've spent the last 2 weekends stripping the Bronco down and today dropped it off to have the entire body disassembled and stripped down to bare metal so I can see what I'm really working with and we can start fresh.

Funnily enough, I checked the mail right before I headed out to drop the bronco off and found that our Bronco had made it onto the cover of the new WH catalog as well as one of the inside pages...and I have to admit...the Lipstick and high heels did indeed maker it look good ;)

Attachments

• z3.jpg
    z3.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 116
  • z4.jpg
    z4.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 112
  • z1.jpg
    z1.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 120
  • z2.jpg
    z2.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey, you're famous!
And welcome to the well populated club! Sorry you've run afoul of some bad stuff, but happy you're sticking with it. Thought we had worked through most of the blemishes, but I guess you've found some more frustrations and just gotta take care of them once and for all.

And hey, seeing that pic I remember you at the Roundup! Thought I'd gotten there late and missed you, but instead I guess we just didn't have time to connect.
Sorry I didn't recognize the Bronco when we crossed paths.

At some point driving it is better than working on it.
Good luck with the "new" project. Keep the pics coming as it progresses.

Paul

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Aw, bummer for sure, sorta. I've really enjoyed your "progress" and can really identify with the "two steps forward, three steps back" vibe and the "where did all that money go" anguish. Like Paul said, I'm glad you're stickin' with it. Keep fighting the good fight. In the end, it will be worth it. Howard in beautiful west Michigan

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I have felt your pain... The 1st bronco I bought almost 20 yrs ago. 1st and last Ebay vehicle purchase, from Texas, 50 some pictures sent to me on a CD, I thought I covered the bases. Well pictures don't tell the whole story and I ended up rewiring the rig and going through all the mechanicals.

So stop feeling sorry for yourself, stiff upper lip and all that... and move forward like you are doing. No one likes getting burned and losing money, but now you can make sure it is done right.

Doug

Oh and Congrats for making the cover!:cool:

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I have felt your pain...
So stop feeling sorry for yourself, stiff upper lip and all that... and move forward like you are doing. No one likes getting burned and losing money, but now you can make sure it is done right.

Doug

Oh and Congrats for making the cover!:cool:

Firm, yet fair. ;D

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX
...And the hardest part to me to deal with...is the money. Not that I can't afford it, but rather that because of my stupidity, this bronco is going to cost more than DOUBLE what it should have. I'm throwing good money on top of sunk money at this point.

But I'm not quitting and I still love the bronco and can't wait to see her become a bronco of substance as well as polish. Plus I'll have a gorgeous reminder of the price of stupidity and not doing my due diligence.

After it's all done and rebuilt, and you drive it, you will also have a reminder of what a cool project and life story you have had with your EB. You will enjoy even more the sweet drive when you take it out!

OP
OP
A

Audifan

Contributor
Thanks guys. Appreciate the responses.

I'm not really beating myself up over it at this point and I had a great conversation with the guy who's stripping the paint, He's also it turns out a pretty decent fabricator and is gonna make some of my crazy ideas come to life while we have it apart.

So, freshly excited and already ordering more parts.

And more good news... I should be able to see bare metal on everything by next weekend.