• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My Bronco history

McLeod

Great story.
My friend was one of the founding members of the Bronco Busters club.

He also gave me a bunch of the old 3 spd Serco shifters that he had.
He said they were manufactured by small shop in Seattle and had used my buddy's bronco to prototype the bracket that mounts to the tranny.
I know of another guy up in Lk Stevens that has the club sticker on the front fender of his rig, which he bought from a former member as well.

OP
OP
KCSPONY

KCSPONY

Sponsor/Vendor
Great story.
My friend was one of the founding members of the Bronco Busters club.

He also gave me a bunch of the old 3 spd Serco shifters that he had.
He said they were manufactured by small shop in Seattle and had used my buddy's bronco to prototype the bracket that mounts to the tranny.
I know of another guy up in Lk Stevens that has the club sticker on the front fender of his rig, which he bought from a former member as well.

Can you tell me who your friend is? I probably know him, if not I am sure my Parents do.....

McLeod

My friend's name is Bob Robinson.
I believe he and a few friends, one who's name is Art Schille had a hand in the initial formation.
Bob told me stories of races sanctioned by a local Ford dealer under the Lewis St bridge in Monroe before the state bought all the land up and about litter patrols in the (long gone) recreational areas around Snoqualmie Falls.

If you have any pictures that would be awesome if you post them up.

OP
OP
KCSPONY

KCSPONY

Sponsor/Vendor
My friend's name is Bob Robinson.
I believe he and a few friends, one who's name is Art Schille had a hand in the initial formation.
Bob told me stories of races sanctioned by a local Ford dealer under the Lewis St bridge in Monroe before the state bought all the land up and about litter patrols in the (long gone) recreational areas around Snoqualmie Falls.

I think knew them, did he go by Robbie back then? Has a son named Destry?

OP
OP
KCSPONY

KCSPONY

Sponsor/Vendor
I found some pictures of my Father's Bronco before he sold it

I am planning on using the Revell 1/25 Bronco model to build a tribute to it, I have been collecting parts

MxL0ojPl.jpg

cFaVSonl.jpg

acdZi1Fl.jpg

NewDog

Contributor
Loc.
Surrey BC
Cool story and photos, thanks for sharing - looking forward to more of the history as it unfolds!

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Awesome story! I love reading all the old history of broncos since I was too young to really pay attention to anything other than pics in the magazines at the time.

OP
OP
KCSPONY

KCSPONY

Sponsor/Vendor
OK so the second rebuild of my Bronco has begun.....

My wife wanted to attend a desert run that our neighborhood here in Arizona had organized, so I pulled the drivelines and inspected them and greased them, then I checked and filled all the fluids...

LOgYZBsl.jpg

About 1/2 way in the Bronco was running rough and very rich, I think I sunk a float in the carb or something else. It is an older Carter 625 cfm AFB.

jX6QQDgl.jpg

So after getting it home I ordered a new 500 cfm Edelbrock carb

gkq5rNml.jpg

After installing it I found the fuel pump had also gone tango uniform, so off to the parts store....while I was at it I bought new oil, filter, and a tune up kit....spark plugs have been in there since 1987....

OP
OP
KCSPONY

KCSPONY

Sponsor/Vendor
Then I went ahead and placed my large order with Wild Horses.

Here is a list of the upcoming mods

New suspension:

Tom's Bronco Parts extended radius arms (with built in 7 degrees of caster)
WH 4.5" coils
WH 2 degree bushing kit
WH extreme front shock hoops
WH 11 pack 4.5" rear leaf pack with new u-bolts & bushings
WH 6 degree shim kit
Rough Country dropped pitman arm
James Duff dropped track bar bracket
WH coil retainer straps (old ones are original...)

New WH (Tom Wood) extreme drive shafts F&R

WH one piece door inserts
WH "Gorilla Warflare" flares front and rear
WH front seats
WH "San Felipe" Weld in rear cage kit
WH 1/4" rock rails with nerf bars

WH GM column bracket
1972 Chevy Van tilt column (no key lock)
New steering wheel (TBD)

New exhaust using stainless shorty headers from 5.0 liter Mustang

New Bung welded to the rear housing (3rd member didn't have the fill/check plug)

finally new bumpers and paint

I am thinking I will stick with the MR2 blue, but paint the bumpers, rocker guards and flares a warm silver/ argent.

iGh5WgAl.jpg

Dne007

Contributor
Wow, nice story/history!! love your project!!! ;)
dne'

OP
OP
KCSPONY

KCSPONY

Sponsor/Vendor
Quick update.

I installed the new Edelbrock 500cfm carb and the tune up parts, after getting it started and fixing a couple of leaks (forgot to tighten some pieces), I took it for a test drive....the throttle response is better than I have ever felt. I stabbed the pedal in high gear at about 25mph and the rear tires lit up and it started going sideways (gravel road mind you).

tEZGSqMl.jpg

Anyway when I returned the radiator was leaking from the side tank, it must have gotten damaged while sitting in the garage.
The radiator is a stock unit (purchased from a Ford dealer in 1987), so I decided to upgrade to a 4-core. Tom's was having a black friday special, so I ordered the triple pass 4-core aluminum radiator and new hoses...now considering a new water pump and T-stat....might as well since I am in this deep