• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

IL Looking for 1st Bronco - Auto, Sport, Bright, cut, good runner

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulG

Loc.
Chicago
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. I've been an admirer of classic Broncos for a long time but I'm finally in a position to get serious about buying one. I have been reading a lot of the information here on the site and it's been very helpful, so thank you all for your contributions. Before I potentially make a mistake and buy something from a dealer online based off of photos I was hoping someone out there may point me in the right direction. I really like the looks of the Sport bright/chrome package. I do need an automatic because my wife wants to be able to drive it also. I am okay with a cut and most importantly looking for something mechanically in decent shape that hopefully would be semi reliable to start up and drive the family around Chicago this summer. Am I dreaming to think this is possible around $25,000 - $35,000? Also, do the mid- late 70's Broncos generally tend to be more mechanically sound or is that totally up to who has owned/maintained/restored it? Thanks for your help. Paul

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome PaulG!

It says I'm a "Guru" but after a lifetime of Mustangs I feel like I'm just a rookie on Bronco's, but I'll say that I believe you can find a good one in your price range. Be patient, be careful, try to buy from someone on here, or have someone from this site look at it if possible with you.

Mechanically sound really depends more on the owner, but for the automatic you will need to look at '73 and newer as Ford didn't offer auto. trans during early years. An automatic could have been added to a '66 - '72 by a previous owner but generally the later EB's are going to be what you are looking for.

Good luck with your search, and after you own one be ready for lots of "Nice truck" and thumbs up from other drivers!

Norm

ECEB

Continuing with Norm's train of thought, you might want to look at the year by year changes. Especially:

-transmission
-drum brakes to disc in 76
-power steering showed up in 73 I think
-V8 vs V6

There are some good articles out there including:

https://bcbroncos.com/a-little-bronco-history/

Tony

helena

Hello good sir!
I saw your post so I wanted to respond. It sounds like you have a list of wants of your purchase. I do have one that I am going to be selling. It doesn't have the list completed of your wants, but much cheaper than what you have listed. Wondering if you are willing to buy one cheaper, but have a shop make it your dream? I think mine will fit the mold with exception of Power Steering or Bakes....but like I said, you could drop a few thousand and bring it up to your needs list...
let me see if I can add a pic on here.
if not shoot me a msg for more details

77-302

Loc.
Canton, MI
Paul, I have a 1977 that you may be interested in. I have not officially posted it but please let me know if you would like more details.
Here are some pictures.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wuyzic6r3bvs4qv/AAB7BQgxaSl4uPPhPvtD3B1ta?dl=0

Its a 1977, 302 v8, automatic, front power disc brakes.
Completely redone mechanically, rebuilt engine, trans, transfer case, new brakes, brake lines, fuel lines, cooling system, suspension, exhaust... it is a driver with great character. Its not a concour truck.
I have owned it for 8 years, it has been a great part of our family but its time for me to concentrate on other projects. Prices have gone up significantly as you know.

I don't think we are too far apart on price. I was going to list it soon.
I will be posting on FB and here initially, then perhaps Bring a trailer...
If you can't see the pictures let me know, I could send the link via email...

Thanks,
Brad

Last edited:

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
Hello good sir!
I saw your post so I wanted to respond. It sounds like you have a list of wants of your purchase. I do have one that I am going to be selling. It doesn't have the list completed of your wants, but much cheaper than what you have listed. Wondering if you are willing to buy one cheaper, but have a shop make it your dream? I think mine will fit the mold with exception of Power Steering or Bakes....but like I said, you could drop a few thousand and bring it up to your needs list...
let me see if I can add a pic on here.
if not shoot me a msg for more details

This Helena person sounds like a scammer...........:mad:

kselden

Yes drbronco69...most definately....you want deal...I have just what you want.only cheaper......ya sure

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
hello good sir!
I saw your post so i wanted to respond. It sounds like you have a list of wants of your purchase. I do have one that i am going to be selling. It doesn't have the list completed of your wants, but much cheaper than what you have listed. Wondering if you are willing to buy one cheaper, but have a shop make it your dream? I think mine will fit the mold with exception of power steering or bakes....but like i said, you could drop a few thousand and bring it up to your needs list...
Let me see if i can add a pic on here.
If not shoot me a msg for more details

scam alert

lonesomecur

How many Broncos you looked at in person? I bought my first one without looking at any, not even the one I bought. I wanted a Jeep! My dads buddy talked me into buying it from him while watching “Nashville Rebel” and drinking beer. Hell, I’d never even ridden in a bronco and didn’t like Fords!! BEER WAS REALLY COLD

Anyway, I’m no expert but I’ve been hooked on Broncos last 15 years. I’m in Chicago daily. If you want to check mine out, talk shop, I’ll help you out all I can. Best buddy in Lockport just bought one too. Always need bronco buddies.

Let me know and good luck!!

RolledItAgain

SOLD***

Mines a 1968 with lots of 76-77 upgrades like D44 with power disc brakes, automatic trans, and even has EFI (Holley Sniper)
Very nice pant -Anthracite gray
Nice interior -Black
Runs and drives well enough to be a daily driver.
17" rims/ 33" MT tires
LED headlights
Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks
2-1/2 lift
Cut fenders
Has hardtop and bikini top
Family roll cage
Gauges all work

Only "issue" is I'm in SoCal (about 40 min from Los Angeles)
I think I'd let it go for $30K
I'll try to add pics to my garage

Last edited:

Elcaminoman

I currently have the following 1974. It has the following upgrade and in OK.
Holly Sniper Fuel Injection (302) Rebuilt about 8 years ago with about 10k miles on it.
New valve Covers
New Spark Plugs and wires
New Radiator
New Power Steering & Steering Column with Tilt
New Brakes with disc on front
New Wheels and tires
New guages
New locking hubs
New exhaust
Lift Kit
New 23 gallon gas tank
New shocks