• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Comp Cams Hyd Roller Lifter Noise/Question

c17jack

Has anyone else ever used Comp Cams HYD roller lifters (retro link bar style) and had an issue like i'm having.
Cold Start: engine starts and runs fine but then lifter starts making noises. Oil pressure on my motor stays at 60psi. If i just let it sit there and idle it will continue to make noise even after it has warmed up. I can drive it down the road a mile or 2 and it stops making the noise. but i have to drive it to make it stop.

I've tried playing around with different weight oils. Running Shell Rotella 10-30 syn blend but does the same with conventional 10-30 or straight 30.

Tried different preloads. 1/4 1/2 even 3/4. currently running 1/4 preload

I figured a hyd roller would be quite, if i had known it would be like this i would have just installed a solid lift

Motor info:
Fresh 347 stroker (800 ish miles on it)
Comp Cams 281HR Cam retro style lifters (Link bar)
Holley Sniper

JKH67302

Contributor
I have Howard's link bars and no noise. I can hear them at idle when I am working on the motor, but it's subtle and I bet others would not notice it. I went with Howard's because you don't have to run small base circle cams.

I run 10w30 Mobile 1 and use Alex brand valve springs. I did have to play with the correct push rod length a bit and had lengthy discussions with Howard's on this. They specified the correct preload needed. I have it written somewhere but it was an actual measurement range it had to be within. As luck would have it stock late model push rods were perfect.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
c17jack

c17jack

I have Howard's link bars and no noise. I can hear them at idle when I am working on the motor, but it's subtle and I bet others would not notice it. I went with Howard's because you don't have to run small base circle cams.

I run 10w30 Mobile 1 and use Alex brand valve springs. I did have to play with the correct push rod length a bit and had lengthy discussions with Howard's on this. They specified the correct preload needed. I have it written somewhere but it was an actual measurement range it had to be within. As luck would have it stock late model push rods were perfect.

Are you running a Howards cam as well? I'm so tempted to pull these lifters and try something else, only thing holding me back is the fact that I have to pull heads off to get these lifters out. Too tall to clear. But, if I do end up doing it I can guarantee Comp wont be going back in.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
My Comp Cams hydraulic rollers use the late Ford spider system with CC cam, lifters and roller tip Magnum rockers. I also have a roller timing chain. The engine makes zero mechanical noise. Cast exhaust manifolds and a quiet muffler so any lifter noise would be easy to hear and there is none. Is your cam a long duration high lift type?

OP
OP
c17jack

c17jack

My Comp Cams hydraulic rollers use the late Ford spider system with CC cam, lifters and roller tip Magnum rockers. I also have a roller timing chain. The engine makes zero mechanical noise. Cast exhaust manifolds and a quiet muffler so any lifter noise would be easy to hear and there is none. Is your cam a long duration high lift type?

Yeah, I should have went with a later model roller block but wanted to use what I had so I used the original motor and used the link bar lifters.

JKH67302

Contributor
I did not use a Howard's cam, I used the explorer cam. Like you I wanted to use my old block and wanted the freedom of using other roller cams later with the HO firing order and explorer efi, so I went with link bars.

Pulling the heads would suck, and needed for the Howard's lifters too. I am sure you have done this, but have you verified that the push rods are the correct length? Wondering if that is causing issues?

James

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Mine IS the pre-roller block so the cam has a small base circle. It's also a very mild grind. The duration is very close to OE Explorer roller cam. The lift is a small amount higher. I think a mild cam is likely quieter. HP was never my goal. Just a crisp high low end torque,very drive able, truck engine that's quiet enough to approach game.

OP
OP
c17jack

c17jack

I did not use a Howard's cam, I used the explorer cam. Like you I wanted to use my old block and wanted the freedom of using other roller cams later with the HO firing order and explorer efi, so I went with link bars.

Pulling the heads would suck, and needed for the Howard's lifters too. I am sure you have done this, but have you verified that the push rods are the correct length? Wondering if that is causing issues?

James

I kind of eliminated the push rods since it quits making the noise after I drive it some. But its worth checking

OP
OP
c17jack

c17jack

Mine IS the pre-roller block so the cam has a small base circle. It's also a very mild grind. The duration is very close to OE Explorer roller cam. The lift is a small amount higher. I think a mild cam is likely quieter. HP was never my goal. Just a crisp high low end torque,very drive able, truck engine that's quiet enough to approach game.

Oh ok, i understand what you are talking about now. I thought when i read your post the first time you were talking about a roller block.

Montoya

It sounds like your push rods are not the right length or one is bent. When it gets hot it'll straighten out a little or expand a smidgen. I have your same setup and had the exact same issue. Replaced the push rods, noise is gone.

OP
OP
c17jack

c17jack

It sounds like your push rods are not the right length or one is bent. When it gets hot it'll straighten out a little or expand a smidgen. I have your same setup and had the exact same issue. Replaced the push rods, noise is gone.

That makes a lot of sense, I will be ripping valve covers off this afternoon and checking all of my push rods.

OP
OP
c17jack

c17jack

I pulled the push rods and they are straight as an arrow. They are engine works 6.4" x 5/16 x .080" Running out of ideas frustrating as heck.

JKH67302

Contributor
Straight, but are they the right length? I would think an incorrect length push rod could make some noise, especially if it's barely off. Do you have a checker handy? Also, what heads you running?

Montoya

I agree with JKH, strait is a good sign but they might not be the right length. Too short will cause them to "slap" against the lifter. Too long might cause noise as well but I'm not sure what it would sound like.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
My bet would be that you either don't have enough oil getting to one of the lifters, or one of the lifters is partially collapsed and it's taking more time to pump up (oil is leaking out until it seals). Maybe you have debris in one of the oil holes causing low flow. Check to make sure you don't have excessive wear on the lifter ball or the receiving socket at each end.

Ideally you could identify which lifter it is or if it is all of them. Consider running the engine with the valve covers off to make it easier to isolate it (don't forget to block the EGR hoses if you have them), or using an engine stethoscope.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I noticed in your first post you said you are running 1/4 preload after trying 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4. I run a full turn on mine, always have, whether it's roller or hydraulic.
I'm currently running Comp cams roller lifters but not the link bar style, I have a roller block. I will say that the steel Comp roller rockers I had were noisy as hell, my new engine I went comp golds and they are much much better.

OP
OP
c17jack

c17jack

Straight, but are they the right length? I would think an incorrect length push rod could make some noise, especially if it's barely off. Do you have a checker handy? Also, what heads you running?

Check push rod lengths with checker and dead nuts with the 6.4" pushrods. I also checked spring seat pressure and they are all at 140 lbs. My engine building thought maybe it was too much spring pressure or a bad spring so he had me check them. but leaning to a lifter not oiling up enough or a lifter roller going bad.

I installed everything back this afternoon started the motor a noticed a slight squeak, the kind you hear when and alternator is working its butt off but with my stethoscope its coming from around the #3 lifter area. I'm done starting it in fear i have a lifter roller going bad. I'm seriously debating calling summit and just putting a good Hyd flat tappet in or a solid flat tappet and send it.

As far as the heads they are 60cc procomp bare heads that we had good 202 valves and good springs installed in them. slight porting

My bronco has been a 4 year restoration that is used only for car shows and weekends. I want the motor to have a good cam sound. I'm not worried about vaccum as im running a 5 speed with 4.11 gears and 33.5" tires and hydroboost so no Vacuum issues.

OP
OP
c17jack

c17jack

I noticed in your first post you said you are running 1/4 preload after trying 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4. I run a full turn on mine, always have, whether it's roller or hydraulic.
I'm currently running Comp cams roller lifters but not the link bar style, I have a roller block. I will say that the steel Comp roller rockers I had were noisy as hell, my new engine I went comp golds and they are much much better.

I actually did try 1 full turn and i think it hung the valves open because the motor ran like crap. I"m setting preload using EOIC

Thanks for the help so far, you guys and this site are amazing. My hats are off to all of you taking the time to help me figure this out.

OP
OP
c17jack

c17jack

I'm to start tomorrow ripping everythng off the front of the motor and pull the heads so i can get the lifters and cam out and inspect. My dilemma now is cam choice to go back with.
I was not happy with the 281HR cam to begin with from day one. It sounds like a ups truck and almost stock with just a hint of a chop.

Ratclge

noisy lifters

I would think u would need to run a half to three qtr turn to keep them tight,you may need poly locks also. I had a similar problem on my bronco once.