• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bump steer gone

jperry1290

I ve been in the process of building a TRO Chevy front end. At first the steering was sloppy, but after adding a Wild Horses track bar riser the steering is solid and stays straight. I will add that I needed to use the adjustable track bar as the stock one would have been too short.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
yeah can't get rid of my bump steer, been thinking about investing in the WH sway bars

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Yeah pretty much, also have the WH 3-way adjustable draglink/tie-rod setup

Attachments

• 3DA84F29-8A79-40E7-B424-10980EBDA5AE.jpg
    3DA84F29-8A79-40E7-B424-10980EBDA5AE.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 162
OP
OP
jperry1290

jperry1290

What steering box do you have? My old stock box was shot and had a lot of movement. I built a fresh 4x4x2 box and it was awesomely different. Are you joints tight? There are a lot of posts on here about bump steering.

ame

It looks like the draglink is much lower then the track bar, that can cause steering wheel feedback with chassis lean, went through it on another vehicle when trying to chase some weird steering feedback.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
What steering box do you have? My old stock box was shot and had a lot of movement. I built a fresh 4x4x2 box and it was awesomely different. Are you joints tight? There are a lot of posts on here about bump steering.

It is a 6-turn PS box I believe from a 75, I do believe it has too much play.

It looks like the draglink is much lower then the track bar, that can cause steering wheel feedback with chassis lean, went through it on another vehicle when trying to chase some weird steering feedback.

If you are saying chassis lean as in the lean going around big curves, then yes the wheels want to ‘dig in’ or ‘bite’ and oversteer in the direction of the curve, if that makes sense. I’ll see if I can get a better pic of the front

OP
OP
jperry1290

jperry1290

Rebuild the steering box or buy one. I did the 4x4x2 myself. It was very easy to do

ame

It is a 6-turn PS box I believe from a 75, I do believe it has too much play.

If you are saying chassis lean as in the lean going around big curves, then yes the wheels want to ‘dig in’ or ‘bite’ and oversteer in the direction of the curve, if that makes sense. I’ll see if I can get a better pic of the front

Gotcha, well definitely start with any worn parts but suspect you may have a geometry issue going on.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
After consulting with Paul at WH it appears I do not have the correct tie rods for the spindles or the spindles are reamed out...will get pics later this afternoon of the spindle casting # and calipers etc with the wheel off for help with ID'ing the issue, thanks all.

And don't you mind those booger welds on the drop bracket, it was tight in there ok!??!?! ;D: Skiddy would be proud :D

Attachments

• IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 80

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think someone makes a tapered insert that should fix your problem with those steering knuckles. I can't remember who but maybe someone will know the vendor.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
I think someone makes a tapered insert that should fix your problem with those steering knuckles. I can't remember who but maybe someone will know the vendor.

Appears to be F150 or full size Bronco disc if so these will fix the issue provided parts are not jacked up from running it like the pics show. Add some new tie rod boots also.
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Tapered_Sleeves_for_F150_Knuckles/Custom_tie_rods

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Tie-Rod-Dust-Boot/Custom_tie_rods

Jim

Attachments

• 4407_1007_popup.jpg
    4407_1007_popup.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 13231_14581_popup.jpg
    13231_14581_popup.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 8

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And regarding the bumpsteer 1strodeo, you still have not rotated your tie-rod up back into position to mimic the original. For now you are also dealing with a trackbar and draglink that are not as parallel as they could be with this setup, AND also more "tie-rod rotation" than you should be.

Loosen the three adjuster sleeves, grab the centerlink and rotate it "up" so that the Zerk fitting on the lower draglink end points up at a 60 degree angle (roughly up at the bottom of the radiator if it's still stock) and much of your other issue will disappear.

You still need the ends fitted of course, but doing all of the above will fine-tune your steering.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
After consulting with Paul at WH it appears I do not have the correct tie rods for the spindles or the spindles are reamed out...will get pics later this afternoon of the spindle casting # and calipers etc with the wheel off for help with ID'ing the issue, thanks all.

And don't you mind those booger welds on the drop bracket, it was tight in there ok!??!?! ;D: Skiddy would be proud :D

LOL, yes he would...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Man w/the plan..

And regarding the bumpsteer 1strodeo, you still have not rotated your tie-rod up back into position to mimic the original. For now you are also dealing with a trackbar and draglink that are not as parallel as they could be with this setup, AND also more "tie-rod rotation" than you should be.

Loosen the three adjuster sleeves, grab the centerlink and rotate it "up" so that the Zerk fitting on the lower draglink end points up at a 60 degree angle (roughly up at the bottom of the radiator if it's still stock) and much of your other issue will disappear.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin

Paul

Thanks everyone, hey Paul yes I noticed the zerk facing forward after I posted that pic, as I had read your post in a similar thread in Tech the day before. I'll get on that for sure, and order some of those sleeves. Do you still want to see the part numbers and calipers or are you & Jim pretty confident they're FSB/F150 spindles?

thanks again -Jeff

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd still like to see pics. I haven't seen anything regarding the brake calipers themselves, and that would confirm things a bit more. The numbers would cement it.
So when you get a chance. No emergency, as you know you need the sleeves no matter what. So just for the FYI department.

Paul

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Yes Sir, oh and by the way I KNOW for a fact I oriented the zerk when I installed the 3-way kit, my guess is the alignment shop did it but like you said even the pros arent always aware of how it should be. ;)

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Here are pix, number on spindle steering arm is 620170 -jeff

Attachments

• 973B8175-8057-4AF1-90BB-BC741163E8D3.jpg
    973B8175-8057-4AF1-90BB-BC741163E8D3.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 36
  • B286F699-F1AC-4BA0-A2A7-9F9F50E9E3A7.jpg
    B286F699-F1AC-4BA0-A2A7-9F9F50E9E3A7.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 39