• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How dressed are "fully dressed" crate motors?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I'm researching different crate motors. There are short blocks, long blocks, partially dressed engines, and fully dressed engines.
When a fully dressed crate motor comes with a carb and distributor, are the carb and distributor somewhat "dialed in" or are they just out of a box?
I'd like to know from someone who has bought one of these "fully dressed engines."

mebco09

Depends on the seller as to what they refer to as "Fully Dressed"

I bought a 383 stroker for a 62 Impala from Smeding in Texas. "Fully Dressed, Drop-in-ready". They weren't kidding. Broken in, ready to run. I just had to get in in there and get fuel and spark to it. Everything was included down to the starter. They tuned it and dyno'd it in their shop, and must have run it for a while.

I bought a "Bronco edition" from Blueprint. I think they called that one "fully dressed" also. I have not fired it up yet, (body still off the truck), but I can tell that it is far from ready to run. Water pump, starter, plug wires, some other odds and ends are missing. I think they dyno'd that one also, but there is going to be quite a lot of parts hunting to get this one running, plus, I doubt they ran this one with my FI hooked up. Probably different scenario if it were a carburetor, but I don't think either one comes with plug wires and the other stuff. Seems weird to me that they wouldn't include that stuff if it was a "fully dressed" motor.

Price was about the same for both. The 383 puts out about 100 more horsepower though. I probably paid a lot extra for those fancy Bronco valve covers.

Last edited:

76YETI

Loc.
KC METRO
I just looked at Blueprint's site...Looks like they all say dressed, but in the specifications they list how "dressed" they actually are and there is a big difference as mebco09 mentioned.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There is no solid definition. Look at pictures and the description of what all is included.
I would expect carb and ignition included with the engine to be setup the same as the engine that was dynod to make the HP numbers the seller is claiming. Same jets put in the carb, same advance in the distributor. May not be bolted to the engine (avoid damage when installing the engine). Exhaust is so often a chassis specific requirement that I would not expect a set of headers most of the time.

A junkyard engine is a little different when it is called dressed. That usually means all the accessories that the belt drives are in place along with the used belt(s). Hoses probably cut. If a carbed engine, the air cleaner. If EFI, it depends if the harness and computer are included.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I know a guy who just bought a Blue print 306 fully dressed it came with everything but the waterpump, fuel pump , starter and oil filter .
I see they have a " drop in " 302 factory type motor that is fully dressed and comes with everything but oil filter - and maybe starter . ATK also has a similar " drop in " motor

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I spend a lot of time tuning the carb and distributor to get it right. It takes time.
I was just wondering if the engine builders do the same with fully dressed crate motors. I'd be interested in their products if they tune them.