• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer efi questions

Colliedog3

Loc.
Waxhaw NC
I am currently looking in to efi options for my 73 bronco with a C4 auto and I had a few questions about the explorer efi.
1. Can I use the explorer harness by modifying it myself?
2. Can I use the explorer computer or does that need to be changed? If not what computer works?
3. What all is needed for this swap?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
1 yes
2 yes, with a reflash.
3 depends on how you want to do it. So many options

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Search for EFIGuys thread for harness mods and computer reflashing. Really good guy to work with.

Cooter_76

OP
OP
Colliedog3

Colliedog3

Loc.
Waxhaw NC
Here's the first of EFI Guy's harness videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaY-9v-SO_0&t=1s
Are you planning to install just the Explorer EFI on your existing engine? Swap the engine and EFI, but keep your C4? Swap engine, EFI and transmission?
Here are two threads that'll provide plenty of reading material:
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257251
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224697

I plan on keeping the C4 and putting the efi on my current engine.

BroncoChicken

I swapped the Explorer EFI onto my stock block. One issue to be aware of is the gear on the cam position sensor is steel for a steel cam. Your stock cam will be iron. They have to match to prevent wear.

OP
OP
Colliedog3

Colliedog3

Loc.
Waxhaw NC
I swapped the Explorer EFI onto my stock block. One issue to be aware of is the gear on the cam position sensor is steel for a steel cam. Your stock cam will be iron. They have to match to prevent wear.

I have a 89 roller motor in mine so I think I should be ok but I will double check on that.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I was assuming you were using the complete engine.
Others are assuming you are just putting EFI on your existing engine.

So lets start with clarifying that intention.

OP
OP
Colliedog3

Colliedog3

Loc.
Waxhaw NC
I was assuming you were using the complete engine.
Others are assuming you are just putting EFI on your existing engine.

So lets start with clarifying that intention.

I plan on using my existing engine which is a 89 roller motor out of a mustang, and planned on using the C4 behind it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No issues. roller motor so the drive gear will be correct and the firing order is even correct. That should run real good. Glorified intake swap.

Do you have a return style or a non-return style Explorer? That will dictate the fuel delivery needs.

Might consider moving the battery to the Driver's side so the Explorer air box can be worked into the passenger side.

When you get the Explorer engine keep all the front accessory drive, you will want that later.

OP
OP
Colliedog3

Colliedog3

Loc.
Waxhaw NC
No issues. roller motor so the drive gear will be correct and the firing order is even correct. That should run real good. Glorified intake swap.

Do you have a return style or a non-return style Explorer? That will dictate the fuel delivery needs.

Might consider moving the battery to the Driver's side so the Explorer air box can be worked into the passenger side.

When you get the Explorer engine keep all the front accessory drive, you will want that later.
The explorer I am getting the parts off of is a 98, not sure if it requires a return but if so I was going to put a T fitting in the vent line and run the return there. I like the idea of moving the battery to the other side. I’m not sure if I have the budget to do the front accessory drive but I will look into it.