• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bigger.(and or automatic click back) turn signal levers for 1973 Bronco?

Buck.n.Bronco

Hello Bronco folk!

I am curious and searches yielded little. I've seen some early broncos in parking lots with bigger turn signal levers on their steering columns than the dinky small a#$ one that comes with the stock.

My questions are:
1) Where does one buy a bigger turn signal lever?
2) Are there options with an auto-click back to home position after finishing a turn?

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure about the bigger ones, unless you've seen the '66 and '67 models (I think it was) that had the slightly longer black plastic end on them.
But they are ALL supposed to go full auto-off when you turn the wheel. But they are all susceptible to breaking the cancelling cam lever thingy. Even the originals, though the new ones seem to not last as long as the originals unfortunately. Gee, whod'a seen that coming...%)

Most of us have this replacement part: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Turn-Signal-Canceling-Cam/Bronco_Stock_Column_Parts
Take your wheel off and look at yours. The two longer ears are probably broken off. Very common in colder weather as the plastic ages.

But while it's off, look at the back of your steering wheel to make sure it's still got a good cancelling cam lobe thingy clipped on. It's the part that rotates past the two fingers and clicks the turn signals off. Should look like one of these, but with two lobes rather than just the one of the reproductions: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Turn-Signal-Turn-Off-Cam/Bronco_Stock_Column_Parts

I'm guessing that certain models of vehicle got the single one, and that's what is being reproduced and seems to work. But I've only ever seen Broncos with 2-fingered cams.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Also cruise our vendors sites, and check them out..

we have the best

Hello Bronco folk!

I am curious and searches yielded little. I've seen some early broncos in parking lots with bigger turn signal levers on their steering columns than the dinky small a#$ one that comes with the stock.

My questions are:
1) Where does one buy a bigger turn signal lever?
2) Are there options with an auto-click back to home position after finishing a turn?

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
B

Buck.n.Bronco

Not sure about the bigger ones, unless you've seen the '66 and '67 models (I think it was) that had the slightly longer black plastic end on them.
But they are ALL supposed to go full auto-off when you turn the wheel. But they are all susceptible to breaking the cancelling cam lever thingy. Even the originals, though the new ones seem to not last as long as the originals unfortunately. Gee, whod'a seen that coming...%)

Most of us have this replacement part: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Turn-Signal-Canceling-Cam/Bronco_Stock_Column_Parts
Take your wheel off and look at yours. The two longer ears are probably broken off. Very common in colder weather as the plastic ages.

But while it's off, look at the back of your steering wheel to make sure it's still got a good cancelling cam lobe thingy clipped on. It's the part that rotates past the two fingers and clicks the turn signals off. Should look like one of these, but with two lobes rather than just the one of the reproductions: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Turn-Signal-Turn-Off-Cam/Bronco_Stock_Column_Parts

I'm guessing that certain models of vehicle got the single one, and that's what is being reproduced and seems to work. But I've only ever seen Broncos with 2-fingered cams.

Paul

Awesome, Thank you for the information! I'll check all this today and see what's going down. The quarantine bronco daily driver project evolves as I fix one thing and find 4 more broken/old/worn out things!

Good times!

Also thank you sprdv1 - I'll check it out! Good to be onboard :)

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
the turn signal lever unscrews and is common between most fords of the same era so switching levers is possible and you can make your own.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
There were some all black levers used on pickups and vans that work on EBs. I tried one but found no advantage to it. So the chrome one went back on.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Many rebuilt/restored/restomodded Broncos have aftermarket columns or columns swapped in from other vehicles mainly to get tilt wheel. Perhaps you saw one or more of these when you saw larger levers?

OP
OP
B

Buck.n.Bronco

Many rebuilt/restored/restomodded Broncos have aftermarket columns or columns swapped in from other vehicles mainly to get tilt wheel. Perhaps you saw one or more of these when you saw larger levers?

Yes, I get the feeling this must be it, because I saw the car I saw before at my mechanics (again) and it also had a lever to adjust the steering wheel up and down

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
That sounds like the General Motors type column,
They are a popular swap, and available aftermarket with and without shifters and with and without ignition keys in the column.
I think the Ford columns didn’t have two levers I think you pushed on the turn signal forward to tilt the wheel