• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

hardtop differences

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have at least 6 hardtops at my shop right now and I am noticing at least three different styles of rear stakes as well as some internal differences. Can anyone outline the differences by year or how the tops evolved over time?

1970 Palmer

I'm sure there are many small differences over the years. I know the early years with vacuum wiper motors had a different bolt pattern at the windshield. They can be re-drilled.

I know many bypass the rear braces, but I used them on my 1970 and they really stiffen up the rear window frame area.

John

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Bolt pattern across the front for 66-early 69 for the vacuum wipers. Support bows across the top are screwed on for a 66, welded on 67-77. Two large open holes in the rear supports without covers also on the 66. 66 lift gate latch and lock different too of course.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Bolt pattern across the front for 66-early 69 for the vacuum wipers. Support bows across the top are screwed on for a 66, welded on 67-77. Two large open holes in the rear supports without covers also on the 66. 66 lift gate latch and lock different too of course.

Has someone wrote that up for tech or FAQ section?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
1966 - bolt in bows, lock separate from the handle in the lift gate.

1966 - Mid Year 1969 - bolt pattern along the windshield correlated to the vacuum wipers
Mid Year 1969 - 1977 - bolt pattern along the windshield correlated to the electric wipers

1966 - 1967 - Weather stripping around the lift gate area had square corners
1968 - 1977 - Weather stripping around the lift gate area had angled corners

1966 - 1967 or 1968 - the stakes that slide into the quarter panels are short and stubby (maybe two inches long)
1968 or 1969 - 1977 - the stakes that slide into the quarter panels are long and are much more likely to scratch the paint upon removal and install (around six or eight inches long)

Chrome window and drip rail trim available in various years depending on Sport, Explorer, and Ranger packages

I wouldn't be surprised if there were other differences, but those are the ones I know of.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
hardtop

I have a couple of tops with the short stakes but they are distinctly different.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I know my '68 top had no steaks and square top corners above the lift gate. My '74 and '77 had/have a triangular brace in the top corners. The '77 had steaks in the back going into the tail light buckets. A frame off of the '77 revealed the steaks had broken in half making them useless. I tied the rear quarters to the family bar added to the San Filipe role bar, making the weak corner steak redundant.