• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

too tall

1st 1969

I am looking at will be my 1st cb this Saturday. I am 6'6" 250 and worried that it wont have enough room. Is it possible for these trucks to be comfortable for taller men? Serious inquiry. Thank You.

Bferrari

There are vendors that sell lower profile seats that make it much more bearable in the EB's. I am having my entire truck reupholstered so I ended up scavenging at the junk yard and came up with bucket seats out of a Toyota Celica. They sit real low and are very comfortable. I am 6'3 and my buddy is 6'4 and we both have the Celica Seats and it puts us at a good height.

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
Regardless of your size, Bronco's are cool. Period.

Making some adjustments for your large-sized body frame is well worth it.

In addition to installing some seats that sit lower, I will also add that a smaller aftermarket steering wheel in the 13" diameter size works nice, plus a tilt steering column.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I'm not as tall as you guys and I'm using Toms seats. I'm 6'-1" and I located the seat mounting back 3". I actually move the seat adjustment up a couple notches while I'm in it.
I always wondered myself, do tall folks fit in a halfcab?

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
It's a little tight. I agree w/ Whoaa, smaller steering wheel, tilt. My 70 Stang was tight for me too, smaller steering wheel non-tilt. When I converted to standard I realized I couldn't press in the clutch without my knee banging the turn signal lever . . .so I trimmed it.

I'm 6'2" 220lbs so not as big as you but there are always some mods you can do to make it work. It's not gonna be as roomy as say a 2013 F250 Super-Crew for instance but it's the price you pay to be cool :cool:

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Look at seats out of sports cars.
Seats out of Ford Mustangs have a very long history of being used in Broncos.

Seats out of trucks and SUVs are usually too tall based for tall people.

When someone recommends a seat find out how tall they are, but even that will not always tell you all you need, some tall people have short torsos all their height is in their legs.

SoCal68Bronco

Loc.
San Diego, CA.
I know how you feel. This was a worry for me also. I'm 6'4" 220. I have Corbeau CR1 seats pushed back as far as they can go. I sit a little high, but its still very comfortable.

ChrisC74

I am looking at will be my 1st cb this Saturday. I am 6'6" 250 and worried that it wont have enough room. Is it possible for these trucks to be comfortable for taller men? Serious inquiry. Thank You.

I agree with all of the statements above - we are similar - 6'-6" and I vary between 230 - 260...

I moved my seat mounting bolts back about 4" - makes a huge difference in leg room.

I bought the smaller steering wheel from WH - LeCarra 14" Thick grip - Love it. Had a 13" and it was a little too small.

Shifter on the column or auto - then it is a non-issue. If they installed a three speed floor shift the shifter can be bent a little to the right for more room. Or other manual transmissions will move the shifter more towards the center of the tunnel.

Seats - these vary widely so if the bronco you are looking at has seats that are not great for you - there are plenty of options. I went with a Corbeau Baja RS reclining suspension seat. I wish I had looked around - great looking seat but the bolsters are a little high / tight.

You can upgrade to a tilt steering column if need be to change the angle of the wheel - I did and I like it.

The place where I have found I wish I had more room is always at the top of the windshield - my seats are mounted pretty low and my field of vision is fine for driving but at traffic lights - not so much. You can look at the light reflection on the hood and usually see it change color or throw money at that as well and go with the view finder windshield - it moves the wipers to the bottom and give you two or three more inches at the top. It is too much work / cost for me to consider right now.

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
I'm 6'4 230 and I like leg room. I installed a set of Ford Probe seats and located them back about 3 inches. Plenty of room.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 287

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
Here are some cheap aftermarket seats that are really low profile for large/tall people. I installed these and liked them well, until I scored a better set of seats w/ better back support & removeable head rest from my local junk yard from a 2013 Ford Focus.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
one of my guys in the shop is 6' 9" and he moved his stock seat back a few inches. worked for him.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm 6'5" with about a 35" inseam, 190-ish pounds, and I run the Mastercraft Sportsman seats in my Bronco. Super comfy when driving with the usual street light issues, but I figure that at 6'6", you're probably already pretty used to that. I have the same issue in my '77 F150 of needing to lean forward to see the lights, however if it really bothers you, you can lower the floor under the driver's side seat if you're not running an auxiliary fuel tank.

Welcome to ClassicBroncos.com.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Haaa broncodawg do you leave the top off and look over the windshield frame when you drive. Holy crap
I kinda like the tight kinda cramp driving position not the most comfortable but I always got a smile on my face

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
My oldest son is 6'5". It concerned me a lot when at 18 years old, he could tighten the seat belt with the seat all the way back and put his face on the windshield! I installed three point belts just for that reason.
I also moved the rear view mirror up about three inches. If he would be the primary driver, I would have replaced the windshield frame with one of the bottom wiper type. because he still needs to bend his neck to see out.%)
That boy would be better off without a seat at all!;) Right Tito?

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Geez i feel tiny at only 6'2" and 190.
I moved my seats back a few inches and threw on a smaller wheel (grant), and i fit comfortably.
I have a buddy whos 6'5", 240 lbs...and he drives a geo metro, so i guess anything is possible.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Forgot to add:

Avoid power seats if looking for donor seats, the motors take up a lot of space under the seat, which only makes the seat that much taller.