• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

More c-4 swap questions

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Rounding up parts for ac-4 swap in the 72. Already figured on buying a new tilt colum with column shift. I have the stock c-4 linkage. I have a 2" body lift. Will I need to modify the stock linkage? Is it worth buying lokar linkage? Also was planning on buying a flaming river lower shaft from wh to fit a 4x4x2 box. I have a grant removable steering wheel set up so I need to slide the column down lower. Can I order the lower shaft at the same time or do I need to measure from column to steering box after I get the column in? Also looking at the pics of the tilt columns will it be a bolt in or will
I have to re-do the mount because of the removable wheel option?

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
There is a Duffs C-4 linkage extension for a 2" body lift in the classifieds under OCBR parts.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The "new" tilt column will likely have more to do with what linkage will work than the body lift will. Since all the new columns are aftermarket parts, start with the instructions that come with the column. I would not be shopping for parts until the instructions with the column are read and determine what linkage they recommend.

Measure the lower shaft after you get the rest of the parts, or just get it long and cut to length once you measure it.

Not knowing what the new column is, really hard to guess how it will mount. What do the instructions say?

As for setting the depth of the column install, I would not just start adding and subtracting numbers and call it good. Mock it up, sit in the truck, hold the wheel. Does it feel good? If you are dealing with adjustable mounts now is the time to adjust them to what feels good, not just plus/minus some numbers on stack up of parts. The last aftermarket steering wheel I bought was available in 3 different offsets. Stock Ford wheels typically have a very deep dish, most aftermarket are very flat. That too plays into setting the depth of a steering column.

Changing the depth will also alter the lower shaft length and the linkage length.