• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

One part of our hobby that sickens me

4WHLFUN

I’m with you Todd. It pains me to see these survivor and original restored Broncos get cut up; but who am I to get between a man and his money? I think most of these six figure restomods don’t go to real car guys anyway, just rich folks with an itch to scratch. These will be on the market in a couple years because their owners have gotten board with them or moved on to the next craze.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
but as special as the balloon chasers were they were cut and not stock.

Does that mean Baja Broncos are not stock? They showed up at Stroppe uncut right? (I don't actually know but I don't believe Ford cut them on the line.) We would consider them stock with cut fenders. I would put the chasers in that category.

Fixed it for ya :)
You would think I could figure out how to do that by now. Thanks!

Jim

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Does that mean Baja Broncos are not stock? They showed up at Stroppe uncut right? (I don't actually know but I don't believe Ford cut them on the line.) We would consider them stock with cut fenders. I would put the chasers in that category.

You would think I could figure out how to do that by now. Thanks!

Jim

Yes Jim, the Stroppe Broncos showed up uncut and were cut and fitted for flares there. I’d consider a cut in the rear, trimmed in the front Stroppe completely stock if the rest is unaltered because that’s how it was sent to the dealership, just like the tribute Balloon Chase trucks!

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Well folks, here is what Tim’s former meticulously restored ‘66 turned into, thanks to the douches at Classic Ford Broncos.

Disclaimer: Yes, I’m upset. I don’t need a lecture about how “money has brought this along, this is just the new way with the value of our trucks” or “they can do what they want, it’s theirs”. This is pathetic and idiotic. I don’t care who disagrees, this should never happen with a build like this.

Attachments

• 579F1F95-0B3C-406D-9BC5-E9DA8B0D7BFB.jpeg
    579F1F95-0B3C-406D-9BC5-E9DA8B0D7BFB.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 89035EDE-2E41-4960-B183-B8E2C5C11754.jpeg
    89035EDE-2E41-4960-B183-B8E2C5C11754.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 4964BF6E-7F3F-48D7-B021-7263BAEDA813.jpeg
    4964BF6E-7F3F-48D7-B021-7263BAEDA813.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 144
  • C009C955-180A-4918-BAF4-3645BA70B606.jpeg
    C009C955-180A-4918-BAF4-3645BA70B606.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 44F1A0C5-02DD-4D97-9AF8-8E74E5F99872.jpeg
    44F1A0C5-02DD-4D97-9AF8-8E74E5F99872.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 191B362E-AD5C-4C51-B2B8-E74926B2FF6D.jpeg
    191B362E-AD5C-4C51-B2B8-E74926B2FF6D.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 151
  • DA8806FC-AD83-41C9-8F7E-AB2D2A14ED42.jpeg
    DA8806FC-AD83-41C9-8F7E-AB2D2A14ED42.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 1E4AE1B5-5FA6-42D6-86AD-A8DD39FCFFE8.jpeg
    1E4AE1B5-5FA6-42D6-86AD-A8DD39FCFFE8.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 142

anoblefox

Contributor
Well everyone has an opinion and that's fine too. I ordered a Bronco in 73 but it took too long to come in. I went to a different dealer and it had everything that I had ordered from the previous dealer except the color. I had ordered hot ginger color but ended up with midnight blue metallic. The DEALER cut the rear fenders to accommodate the 10 x 15 x 31 armstrong norseman tires that were sent over from Dick Cepek, one of the only off road tire dealers at the time. Back then the only other off road tires were Gates Commandos. The Norsemans were installed before I picked up the truck for the first time. Now I have owned a Bronco since 73 and never had a need, or a want, for any larger tires than 31's. My 77 was the first EB on the west coast to have EEC-IV Mustang fuel injection, why, because it is better, on and especially OFF ROAD, and at altitude. I have also addressed many of the EB's shortfalls in design, simply to make it a better vehicle, at least for me. That's what people do. I do not understand what the big deal is about uncut rear fenders, but that's just me. I do however agree that those that are still original uncut that it is best to leave as is.

maverickconner

I only do basket cases, but occasionally I can find one that is original. If all the parts are there it has to stay original. I typically am not in that market and only do one at a time. When I do collect enough parts for an original I make one as original as possible. I try to save as many as possible. Just today as I was pounding out the rear quarters on a field find, I told my wife I should just cut it. She threatened to murder me. I kept pounding.

Why someone would start with a total stock rig and cut it to pieces is unbelievable. Especially when there are so many out there that have already been chopped up and also so many more that need to be put back on the road.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Well everyone has an opinion and that's fine too. I ordered a Bronco in 73 but it took too long to come in. I went to a different dealer and it had everything that I had ordered from the previous dealer except the color. I had ordered hot ginger color but ended up with midnight blue metallic. The DEALER cut the rear fenders to accommodate the 10 x 15 x 31 armstrong norseman tires that were sent over from Dick Cepek, one of the only off road tire dealers at the time. Back then the only other off road tires were Gates Commandos. The Norsemans were installed before I picked up the truck for the first time. Now I have owned a Bronco since 73 and never had a need, or a want, for any larger tires than 31's. My 77 was the first EB on the west coast to have EEC-IV Mustang fuel injection, why, because it is better, on and especially OFF ROAD, and at altitude. I have also addressed many of the EB's shortfalls in design, simply to make it a better vehicle, at least for me. That's what people do. I do not understand what the big deal is about uncut rear fenders, but that's just me. I do however agree that those that are still original uncut that it is best to leave as is.

Your new 73' getting its fenders cut in 73' is hardly comparable to the butchering inside and out of a 55yo 66' that had been restored back to stock as it was 55 years ago when it left the plant in Michigan.

TNcowboy

Butchering a survivor that has been restored for yet another so called "high end" build is especially wasteful considering the better options available today. Kincer frame that's 2" wider, stronger with Better suspension options and DC bodies make the destruction of an original almost criminal as well as stupid.

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
:mad::cry::cry:

Do all the mods and still a drum brake front? whatever.... and the buck tag is still dangling on the firewall.....

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I don't see anything on that build that is "high end". The upholstery is nice. But every other mechanical part is stock, or simple aftermarket. Bordering on the "done on the cheap". I don't see a battery hold down (maybe a base clamp, but those are not original and I don't see any sign that the builder has enough creativity to do that). It is a basic grant steering wheel, the easy pick from the catalog, there are better wheels if you want to do any searching for them, and keep the vintage look. Why does the chrome T-handle shifter not even have a boot around the base? M/T wheels are also another easy find. While nice to see nothing stupid like a set of 24s (that would have cost too much) there is nothing high end about specing out a fairly low cost wheel option. Add a coolant recovery tank, good. But nothing special or high end about just plopping it right in the middle of the wheel well. At least tuck it in the corner a little cleaner, run a nice hard line along the core support, around the battery, and back to the tank. Not a length of rubber hose doing a loopy thing hanging out in space. That was the easy install, how I would fix it after limping into the parts store parking lot. Not how you do a custom build. Why do I only see half a seatbelt?

Have to give some credit to the photographer. they did a real good job angling those shots to hide as much as possible while making what is presented as pretty as possible. I have a feeling that photo shoot was a challenge for them.

I never saw the restored version. But if it was anywhere as close as what people have described, I am looking at a lot of money spent for a negative gain. The owners are probably happy (unless they read this).

The builder was probably very happy. Looks like they made a fat profit. Not having to do rust repair (lots of work with little to show in the end). Just take what is basically a new car and throw a handful of catalog items at it.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
:mad::cry::cry:

Do all the mods and still a drum brake front? whatever.... and the buck tag is still dangling on the firewall.....

I didn’t even notice all that :eek:

How about that cheap parts store air cleaner replacing the nice original? Or the restored copper radiator and surge tank replaced by an eBay special and plastic overflow? High end build I tell ya!

After years of handing “Biggest tools in Broncos” to Maxlider, I think that title has a new home.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
jGbronc in 5 seconds looking at your gallery, you have fender flares aftermarket fenders and rubber steering wheel.

It's their EB, they can do whatever, just like you did whatever to yours.

TNcowboy

I don't see anything on that build that is "high end". The upholstery is nice. But every other mechanical part is stock, or simple aftermarket. Bordering on the "done on the cheap". I don't see a battery hold down (maybe a base clamp, but those are not original and I don't see any sign that the builder has enough creativity to do that). It is a basic grant steering wheel, the easy pick from the catalog, there are better wheels if you want to do any searching for them, and keep the vintage look. Why does the chrome T-handle shifter not even have a boot around the base? M/T wheels are also another easy find. While nice to see nothing stupid like a set of 24s (that would have cost too much) there is nothing high end about specing out a fairly low cost wheel option. Add a coolant recovery tank, good. But nothing special or high end about just plopping it right in the middle of the wheel well. At least tuck it in the corner a little cleaner, run a nice hard line along the core support, around the battery, and back to the tank. Not a length of rubber hose doing a loopy thing hanging out in space. That was the easy install, how I would fix it after limping into the parts store parking lot. Not how you do a custom build. Why do I only see half a seatbelt?

Have to give some credit to the photographer. they did a real good job angling those shots to hide as much as possible while making what is presented as pretty as possible. I have a feeling that photo shoot was a challenge for them.

I never saw the restored version. But if it was anywhere as close as what people have described, I am looking at a lot of money spent for a negative gain. The owners are probably happy (unless they read this).

The builder was probably very happy. Looks like they made a fat profit. Not having to do rust repair (lots of work with little to show in the end). Just take what is basically a new car and throw a handful of catalog items at it.

To be clear..I didn't see it as a high end build (except for the amount that must have been spent what with a $71.5k base project cost). That's why I put in quotation marks.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
jGbronc in 5 seconds looking at your gallery, you have fender flares aftermarket fenders and rubber steering wheel.

As stated throughout this thread, the argument isn't that people can't build the Bronco they want to, but doing so out of one with historical value and prestige is just plain stupid.

By your rationale, it would be perfectly fine for whoever paid $3 million for the Bullitt Mustang a few years ago to cut it all up, put coil over suspension on it, rack and pinion steering, aftermarket custom interior, new engine and drive train, big ass stereo, and whatever else they wanted and not expect people to be up in arms over it.

This is like the idiots at Rocky Roads turning the Balloon Chaser Bronco they had into another of their run of the mill builds.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With nice aftermarket Frames and Bodies available why purchase a high dollar restored truck that is back to it's original state just to cut it up again. This does not make financial sense either???

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX
As stated throughout this thread, the argument isn't that people can't build the Bronco they want to, but doing so out of one with historical value and prestige is just plain stupid.

By your rationale, it would be perfectly fine for whoever paid $3 million for the Bullitt Mustang a few years ago to cut it all up, put coil over suspension on it, rack and pinion steering, aftermarket custom interior, new engine and drive train, big ass stereo, and whatever else they wanted and not expect people to be up in arms over it.

This is like the idiots at Rocky Roads turning the Balloon Chaser Bronco they had into another of their run of the mill builds.

agreed - look, if one has enough money to put into buying one of these "restorations" and putting out about 150k in bills, why not just buy a good frame and vin on a regular bronco, not a classic restoration, and build that up and save the historical ones for what they are? That person isn;t going to care about the history, so save it for others and just use one of the plentiful regular builds out there already cut up.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac

In 5 seconds reading your post it shows that you totally missed the entire point, along with me saying I didn’t need a lecture on it being theirs to do what they want with. Yes, I have modified Broncos. I also have bone stock Broncos. I’m sure as heck not going to turn one of my bone stock originals into a modified by butchering it.

It’s even more dumb to do that to one that has been lovingly restored to new original condition such as this one. It had tons of NOS parts and a countless number of restored original pieces.

FYI my gallery hasn’t been updated in years.

Last edited: