• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

SEMA Cancelled

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
well hell.. Kinda figured that would happen though..

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I had been every year since 2002. For a while I kept telling myself I need to take a year off. Last year I did, things aligned and I was out of the country. Which made me looking forward to this year.

Then the world came to an end.

I think everyone knew it was coming. But not wanting to cancel too soon. I was about to buy a ticket even if I didn't go, just to support the show for next year.

So it will be 2 years in a row I will be taking off. I'm having vacation issues this year. Lots of time and no place to take it. I'm sitting around the house today to burn a day just so I don't loose it.

OP
OP
904Bronco

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I was there last year, as was my buddy whose company I work for during the event. He has been going for over 20 years and the only downturn he saw during that time was during 9/11 and 08 recession. Last year the place was just packed with folks and displays. It was hard to get around and see the event and our Vendors. Seeing everything at the event was just not possible... Some have said that the show needed a reset as it has strayed from its original focus... I was also considering taking a year off for a break, the last year I didn't go was 2014.

I don't think that what has happened with Covid-19 was the reset they were looking for. We were talking just last month how the event would be "Subdued" with International travel down, fears of the Covid would keep people away, and everyone's financial situation, business and personal, has taken a hit in some manner.

Like so many things now, we are saying next year...

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
The joke going around is now maybe we won't see booger welds and bluetooth driveshafts next year since everyone should have enough time to finish their builds ;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Todd mentioned (before the cancelation was announced) that the vender list was down from 2400 to only 1800. And of those 1800 I bet a lot already bought there floor space and were waiting until closer to show time before deciding to show up. So knock a third off that number and the show would have been half sized. But still take longer to get through since the isles were going to be one way.

And if you have ever been there before, the shear number of international visitors is hard to figure how that would play into it. International air travel isn't popular right now, nor will it be by show time. Even domestic air travel isn't going to be recovered by then. I get to just road trip it, not a big deal for me. But for more than half that show travel will be a huge issue.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I had been every year since 2002. For a while I kept telling myself I need to take a year off. Last year I did, things aligned and I was out of the country. Which made me looking forward to this year.

an experience worth remembering I'm sure.. Lots of friends went to the one last year...

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
What no new Fords making a showing at SEMA this year. Might as well hold the new Bronco until next November. Its a hard year for everyone. the hits just keep coming.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The good news, no reason for me to go to Vegas for another year. That part makes me happy.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Everyone knew this was going to cancel in the event industry. My whole year cancelled as events are my business. CES was also no surprise.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
CES already closed doors for next year? I had not heard that. But I don't follow it either.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
But the SHOT show is still happening, apparently.

Todd Z.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would be more surprised by shows that were still happening instead of those that are canceled. The only other trade show I follow, DEMA, canceled at least a month ago.

ransil

Bronco Guru

Attachments

• image_17809.jpg
    image_17809.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 13