Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 06/30/20, 12:40 PM   #16
Broncobowsher
Total hack

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ
You also need to have a talk with the painter on the level of finish. Color sanded and polished to perfection including the bottom of the rockers?

About 8 years ago I had a boat painted (Factory painted fiberglass, not gelcoat finish, old boat). Mine was for them to do the final primer and sand (we had a discussion prior about the materials I was using in the repairs I was doing) and paint it. No color sand, no buff. They were to put a day into final sanding but no more. Runs and nibs were to be fixed. Called it a 5-footer. Standing at the dock with the boat at your toes it looks great. On the trailer had drying it, there are flaws in the prep. I also pointed out that I intended to actually use the boat. Didn't want perfection as I would be too scared to use it. In the years there have been a few marks added to it. If it were perfect there is no way I could tie it to a dock or use it in any normal way.

"She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro"-Zapp Brannigan
Why do people keep expecting "normal" from me?
Full throttle, it either solves the problem or ends the suspense.
Broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/20, 02:19 PM   #17
ep67bro
Contributor
Bronco Junky

I used to have time!

EasternShore, MD

My Gallery
Garage
I think the estimate you got sounds about right. As others have said prep is key and very time consuming. What do you wan the truck to be? Show perfect, driver, wheeler?

I have painted two broncos my self over the years and they were 10 ft jobs. I used single stage paint, high build primer, basic prep. They looked good but they were not perfect but I didnt break the bank doing them. I wasnt afraid to drive the truck and I wheeled the hell out of my 67. I still have that truck and it still looks good from 10ft. I think I had about $1,200 in paint, primer, and materials but that was 15 years ago.

67, 289, NP-435, 3.5 lift,1"BL, 35s,custom bumpers, work always in progress.

70 sport 302 3spd no lift Cut, 33s, original paint NO RUST
ep67bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/20, 04:00 PM   #18
Howard2x4x4
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Holland, MI
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBronco View Post
This is a $500 paint job on my old bronco, including prep labor (mine), single stage fleet paint, a $15 harbor freight paint gun, and $150 to the guy that shot it in his paint bay (a dirty warehouse).

Sure it's a 20 footer but I've seen people spend a lot more and get the same, or less. The comments from people were always, 'love the bronco, great color, etc' not, crappy paint job!

Attachment 503401
Ya dun good, Pilgrim!
Howard2x4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/20, 09:21 PM   #19
AC932

Annapolisish MD
Garage
All prep and sanding after the fact. I personally prefer single stage just cuz its pretty easy to work with, buff out, and patch. Not a bronco, but this T-Bird was the last car I painted. Maybe $2500 in materials, did it with a $30 Tractor Supply paint gun in our 1.5 car garage. Took probably 50 full days of sanding, didn't need any body work. I think it turned out pretty good, but if you're paying someone for it, labor is a killer.

AC932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/20, 07:26 AM   #20
sprdv1
Contributor
REBEL

Guess you better call the Whaaaambulance

Lees Summit-Missouri

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobowsher View Post
You also need to have a talk with the painter on the level of finish. Color sanded and polished to perfection including the bottom of the rockers?
Oh yeah definitely have that conversation..

sprdv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/20, 04:17 AM   #21
Howard2x4x4
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Holland, MI
Garage
I am curious as to why the floors are almost always painted body color. With the cost of materials so high, wouldn't that be a way to save a bit of time and money IF you're going to carpet or mat?
Howard2x4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/20, 09:31 AM   #22
1970 Palmer

Santa Ana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard2x4x4 View Post
I am curious as to why the floors are almost always painted body color. With the cost of materials so high, wouldn't that be a way to save a bit of time and money IF you're going to carpet or mat?
I think it's just easier. Looks good to have the interior all painted with the finish color. It's way I painted "under my engine hood", instead of just painting the hood edges like the factory did.

Heck, with todays cost of 3M (#233+) masking tape, it might be cheaper to paint it, than to mask it?
1970 Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/20, 09:56 AM   #23
Broncobowsher
Total hack

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ
Still need to protect the metal. Bare metal under carpet, can we say 'rust'?
Often masking isn't to protect from overspray, it is to protect the wet paint from dust/dirt stirred up by the wind of the paint gun.

"She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro"-Zapp Brannigan
Why do people keep expecting "normal" from me?
Full throttle, it either solves the problem or ends the suspense.
Broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/20, 11:52 AM   #24
markatherton
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Beach City Broncos

San Diego
Garage
paint

We typically paint the undercarriage and inside with tintable raptor liner. The material is like thick epoxy paint. I believe it helps to eliminate rust in the long run by sealing the metal; Water gets in to these broncos even with the best of builds. Mark in San Diego; Beach City Broncos
markatherton is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat