• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Valve cover breathers EFI ?

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
My current set up is a 97 Explore EFI system. The PVC mounts in the back of the intake manifold. The stock valve covers have no holes other then the oil filler tube. I’m looking at new valve covers for my 347 and all of them have a hole in both covers. My question is .....do just put one of those push in breathers caps in both of them? I’m keeping the PVC in the lower intake.

BroncoChicken

Get some fox body mustang valve covers on eBay. The oil filler neck has a hose barb that connects to the throttle body hose barb, then your PCV connects to a hose barb on the bottom of your upper intake. No opening on the driver side valve cover at all. You want a set that doesn’t have the additional casting inside like these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-5-0-E...OVERS-STOCK-COVERS-WITH-OIL-CAP-/184343691200. If you get a set with the reinforcement castings inside, you’ll want to grind them down to look like the set above. Here’s an example of those: https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-0-FORD-MUSTANG-SBF-302-OEM-Valve-Covers-Cast-Alum-/124247369819.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No. Got to keep it sealed.
The mass air meter measures all the air entering the engine. Even the air taking a detour through the PCV system. The vent on the filler neck pulls metered air into the engine.
Putting a vented valve cover on will allow unmetered air into the engine. The computer programming will be off since it doesn't really know how much air is passing through.

OP
OP
Tiko433

Tiko433

Contributor
Loc.
South West Florida
That sounds right. There is a hose off the oil filler neck the feeds back too the air intake before the throttle body. Im not sure if my stoke Valve covers will have enough clearance to use them. I’m get a BluePrint 347 they use there own in-house heads. It comes with chrome valve covers but there is a hole in each. So I was looking for another set but everything has a hole in each cover. So I’m not sure what’s the best way to seal it up

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
That sounds right. There is a hose off the oil filler neck the feeds back too the air intake before the throttle body. Im not sure if my stoke Valve covers will have enough clearance to use them. I’m get a BluePrint 347 they use there own in-house heads. It comes with chrome valve covers but there is a hole in each. So I was looking for another set but everything has a hole in each cover. So I’m not sure what’s the best way to seal it up

The best way to seal it up is to remove the valve covers that Blueprint installs on the engine and install a set of the Fox body valve covers mentioned in the earlier posts, pr put some Explorer valve covers on it. There are a lot of Fox body 5.0 valve cover options out there too if you want something fancier than stock.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Tiko433

Tiko433

Contributor
Loc.
South West Florida
I’m not sure if I need tall valve covers for their heads. I’m not sure if the Fox body VC will work. I guess I wait and measure what they put on it. Just trying to round up all my parts before it gets here

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Are you getting the Bronco edition? Maybe Blueprint would know

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Perfect. That answers the question I had regarding their engine too.

Are you getting their Bronco edition engine?

Todd Z.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I got some ford racing valve covers for a fox mustang at the local speed shop. One opening in the oil fill neck to the throttle body
3c57d5a4abc5ea69561b6c6bc0def66f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Tiko433

Tiko433

Contributor
Loc.
South West Florida
Perfect. That answers the question I had regarding their engine too.

Are you getting their Bronco edition engine?

Todd Z.

I was not aware of there Bronco edition ? What motor is it ?
No I’m getting there 347 Stroker motor. I’m keeping all off my EFI stuff but upgrading to ... TrickFlow intake , 42lb injectors, 75mm T-body and MAF. I’m going to have a local shop tune it.

OP
OP
Tiko433

Tiko433

Contributor
Loc.
South West Florida
I got some ford racing valve covers for a fox mustang at the local speed shop. One opening in the oil fill neck to the throttle body
3c57d5a4abc5ea69561b6c6bc0def66f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nice .. thanks for the pic. Are you running a EGR ?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I was not aware of there Bronco edition ? What motor is it ?
No I’m getting there 347 Stroker motor. I’m keeping all off my EFI stuff but upgrading to ... TrickFlow intake , 42lb injectors, 75mm T-body and MAF. I’m going to have a local shop tune it.

Sorry - I didn't read your original post close enough to catch that it was a 347.

Here's the Bronco Edition I was referring to:

https://blueprintengines.com/produc...sed-longblock-with-fuel-injection-bp306maxctf

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Tiko433

Tiko433

Contributor
Loc.
South West Florida
That’s not a bad way to go if someone was starting with no EFI system. I have a lot invested in my setup , it has been very reliable so I wanted to keep using it.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I’m in the same boat. I want to keep my Ford EFI as well. I’m investigating the long block version of that engine.

Todd Z.

MonsterBIlly

So, I am running a Sniper TBI. i have a vented oil fill cap as well as a pcv plugged into the bottom port of my Sniper. Does this effect the air fuel ratio as well?
I understand why on a mass air system, but does a tbi work similar?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, it's different, but should still be set up as one breather and one vacuum through a PCV valve.
Just not counted like on the MAF setup, as you said. I believe that they take care of that at the O2 sensors alone, but having it set up properly still helps keep things within parameters.

You're saying that your valve is plugged into one valve cover to the port on the Sniper? The tube on the fill cap neck would just go to filtered air. So usually inside the air filter housing, above the sniper.

Paul