• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wheel Stops

broncodan1

Hi, I need to know the size and threads on the wheel stops, mine are not there,
don't know how long thev've been gone but want to put them back on.
Thanks for your help,
Dan

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
By any chance was yours converted to disc brakes using the typical GM style calipers? If so the knuckle may have been ground down far enough to possibly make them hard to use.

Do you see the holes they go in to still intact?

Paul

OP
OP
B

broncodan1

Hey, thanks for the response DirtDonk, the holes are still there although the calipers are close to
the holes, there is still enough room for a locknut.... and yes it is a GM swap I did 20 years
ago. Don't know when they fell out. but this may have contributed to bending my ram assist and drag link end as they were hitting the diff when turning hard left left. Dang!
would appreciate the size bolt and threads I need. Thanks again, Dan

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
Was difficult to get the caliper in there to measure the actual bolt diameter, but the head is 9/16”, so the bolt should be 3/8”. Looks to be a fine thread as well.

Attachments

• DF3879AC-1E39-489D-B833-D3E42B2C7B49.jpg
    DF3879AC-1E39-489D-B833-D3E42B2C7B49.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 69

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was sure it was 3/8" coarse on mine. But it's been way too long to say with any certainty.
I thought they typically used coarse threads in things like cast-iron anyway, but maybe not.

Of course, with the holes in front of you Dan, you can try 'em both!

Paul

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Wow it is amazing to hear that you had no steer/stop bolts installed. And that you have not suspiciously trashed a front axle u joint. Consider yourself lucky IMO.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, good idear to have them in place!
I don't have any on mine either, but I'm also pretty careful about those tight u-turns too.
Pretty sure you would not all that dire when in 2wd. In my case I think the steering box or the linkage reaches it's limit before the u-joint does. But I don't know all this for a fact yet. Hence my being a little extra cautious. My other Bronco would rub a tire on the radius arm long before a u-joint got anywhere near it's limit.

But all that goes out the window if you're in 4wd!

I've been meaning to try to thread a bolt into each hole, even though they've been thoroughly compromised by the grinding process for the GM disc brakes. Still, looks like enough of a circle left to hold a bolt. And a tack-weld like from the factory would secure it once it's adjusted.
This discussion just brings it back up to the top of my list again.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Generally with large tires the radius arm to the sidewall will be the steering stop.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Mine were missing for a long time . & Yes I just went to my bolt bend & found some 3/8 fines. & Installed them . .
... Now my tires aren't the bump stops.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thread locker wouldn't be a bad idea. If there is enough exposed thread you can use a jam nut to lock it in place.
The originals had a small tack-weld that was just enough to keep things in place, but small enough that you could snap it with a wrench on the bolt head.

Paul

OP
OP
B

broncodan1

Thanks for the help, some different length bolts to try, looks like I will use
a 2" bolt with about a 1/4" collar so there's room for a lock nut.

Thanks again
Dan