• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Suggested carb and intake help

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I agree with this and the stock for 2 barrel is best for what your driving style is.
I'd say a simple rebuild of your carb.
There was a time when my yellow77 was down for repairs and my stock green77 was my daily. I was impressed with what it could do stock. It went all over the places my yellow77 would go including our secluded fishing spots.

Bucky66 has a C4 and 4.11 gears.
That was my drivetrain and I was pretty much forced to switch to a four barrel and dual exhaust.
What would happened is this...
I'd be driving on a two lane and need to pass another vehicle. When the C4 went into passing gear, the engine would pretty much run out of air at around 3000 RPM, and I'd be left hanging there alongside the other vehicle in the oncoming lane.
The 2 barrel just didn't work well on the highway with lower gears.
The 4 barrel made all the difference.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Ask anyone who runs a Quadrajet for more than a year if they would go back to running the stock 2 barrel I doubt you will find any takers. so I will keep my Qjunk and happily motor on. Luckily Jacky doesnt have control over the rest of us as he is so missguided. Maybe the ford 2 barrel is the best carb for a totally stock Bronco rusting away in an old barn. but if you really want to enjoy your Bronco on any other surface then a flat dirt road you just might want to reconsider. best wishes in your choices.

helo-mech

I agree with this and the stock for 2 barrel is best for what your driving style is.
I'd say a simple rebuild of your carb.
There was a time when my yellow77 was down for repairs and my stock green77 was my daily. I was impressed with what it could do stock. It went all over the places my yellow77 would go including our secluded fishing spots.

I'm in agreement with a rebuild of the 2100. I was looking at 'what carb is best' for my 302 10 years ago and finally just went for a good cleaning and rebuild. Been running it since and can keep up with interstate traffic and put it off the beaten path. Haven't even adjusted it in the 10 years.

EDIT.......I missed the below blubuckaroo. Since he has experience with your setup, i would defer to his thoughts on going with the 4 barrel. It just didn't end up making sense in my case.

Bucky66 has a C4 and 4.11 gears.
That was my drivetrain and I was pretty much forced to switch to a four barrel and dual exhaust.
What would happened is this...
I'd be driving on a two lane and need to pass another vehicle. When the C4 went into passing gear, the engine would pretty much run out of air at around 3000 RPM, and I'd be left hanging there alongside the other vehicle in the oncoming lane.
The 2 barrel just didn't work well on the highway with lower gears.
The 4 barrel made all the difference.

68ford

Bronco Guru
Holley is correct. Too many gear heads only consider full throttle high RPM, when real drivers only go full throttle occasionally. Part throttle response is far more important. In 4x4 off road use full throttle is almost never used. The parts that work at full throttle hurt part throttle operation and MPGs. Large carbs and high raise intakes only work efficiently at high RPM. The OE 2 barrel and intake is as effective as any I've seen suggested above. This system is so off road capable, that CJ Jeep owners have even put 2100/2150s on straight 6s. I know of no reason to go to a 4bbl or a Chevy Qjunk. Those that recommend the Qjunk assume there's problems with the OE with no evidence.

Do you ever receive phone calls from people that need help? Asking for a friend :cool:

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Green77 is a 302 C4 and stock 3.50 gears. 30x9.50 on stock steel wheels.
Loved it..

DC_Gearhead

If you are willing to spend some time tuning you can make any holley or Edelbrock work. Sorry I don't know Qjets.

Personally my setup goes against every one advice and runs like a top. 750 double pumper Holley with EB Performer intake, RV cam, and 4.56 gears with 33s.

O2 sensor, vacuum gauge, and some time is what it takes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If you are willing to spend some time tuning you can make any holley or Edelbrock work. Sorry I don't know Qjets.

Personally my setup goes against every one advice and runs like a top. 750 double pumper Holley with EB Performer intake, RV cam, and 4.56 gears with 33s.

O2 sensor, vacuum gauge, and some time is what it takes.

This sounds like my rolling test lab. I mounted the wideband gauge to a piece of plywood and wired it to a cigar lighter plug so it can be used on all my cars. The hose to the vacuum gauge is about 8 feet long.
This is what it takes to make a carb and distributor run to it's potential. If you're not doing it, you're probably leaving some performance on the table.

Attachments

• IMG_20190701_063315123.jpg
    IMG_20190701_063315123.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 27

DC_Gearhead

This sounds like my rolling test lab. I mounted the wideband gauge to a piece of plywood and wired it to a cigar lighter plug so it can be used on all my cars. The hose to the vacuum gauge is about 8 feet long.
This is what it takes to make a carb and distributor run to it's potential. If you're not doing it, you're probably leaving some performance on the table.

Good idea on the cigar lighter!!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Yup, I've run vacuum hose up throught the hood vents and hang the vac gauge on the cage. :)

dougsride

I am currently running a holley street avenger 500 cfm two barrel on my 68 mustang. It hits the spot but the 289 is bone stock. not sure what carb I am going with on my bronco 302 when I get it done but it will be at least a 600 cfm. Watch the guys on engine masters if you can .They did some tests on carb sizes that were pretty surprising. you may be able to see it on you tube or motor trend tv.

seismic

Loc.
Grantsville,Utah
No comments yet...my guess is that every time someone suggests a carb others flame them.

But I'm not a scared!

Edelbrock Performer (not RPM or AirGap) with a square flange
Holley 600 cfm vacuum secondary carb with Ford kick down linkage and electric choke

It will need some tuning to get it running solid. Before you even install it, take the cintered filter out of the carb inlet, throw it away and use a disposable paper inline filter. Drive it around and see how you like it. It may be jetted too rich from the factory but live with a while then I would reduce the jets from 66-68 stock to 64. That should get you close. Many threads on tuning but this combo will be easy to install, start and drive just fine and you can enjoy it right out of the box.

I think the cheaper Truck Avenger carbs have a bad rep so I have stayed away from them but I have run this combination on 289 in a mustang with C4 and 3.00 gears and on my 289 Bronco, C4, 31" tires with 3.5:1 gears. It just works.