• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pertronix Flame-Thrower III

R Moses

Contributor
Loc.
Corbin
I have a 1975 Ranger with stock ignition. I have my Pertronix Flame -Thrower III from Wild Horses and I'm ready to install it. If I understood correctly it it do away with the Ignition Control Module. I assume I will use a wire that goes to the Ignition Control Module, Which one?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just checking in from my phone. If you just have a coil alone, that does not replace the ignition control module. You would need something to trigger the coil just like original. In this case a Pertronix igniter III.
If you replace the magnetic pick up inside the distributor with the correct Ignitor then you don't need the original Ford Dura spark module.

Is that what you were asking? Or do you already have the rest of the system?

68ford

Bronco Guru
Read the fine print, the version 3 uses a very low resistance coil. I have both the distributor with version 3 module as well as the really low resistance coil. Runs awesome. You will want to eliminate your "resistor wire" so you have full 12 volts at the positive side of the coil when in the run position.

OP
OP
R Moses

R Moses

Contributor
Loc.
Corbin
Yes, I got the Distributor, coil and wires from the best Bronco Guys on the planet. Wild Horses 4X4. It's the Pertronix III system.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks! Then yes, you're good to go. You do eliminate the original modules as it's no longer part of the system.
What colors are the wires coming out of the firewall? If one is red with a blue (oops, I meant green stripe) stripe to the module you can use that one. However don't mix it up with the red with green stripe that originally went to the old coil because that is your resistor wire. You don't want to use that one as was mentioned.

In theory the one wire should be able to power both the distributor and the coil if necessary. But they tended to be fairly small gauge so maybe somebody else can comment on whether it's got the capacity to run both components. I don't know offhand how much current they take.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R Moses

R Moses

Contributor
Loc.
Corbin
Yes, there is a red wire w/blue and a white w/red and red w/white. I will use the red w/blue. There is are seven wires 4 on 1 plug and 3 on the other plug from firewall to ICM. I just disregard that cluster?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm sorry I made a mistake. I'll have to go back and correct it. You don't want the red with blue stripe because that is powered in start only. Normally it would be a red with a green stripe is on with the key.
Sorry about that!

I'll have to look at the diagrams to see what the other colors do in that plug. Or you can check out Steve83's wiring diagrams posted here many times from his supermotors page. Also Seabiscuit has some as well.

OP
OP
R Moses

R Moses

Contributor
Loc.
Corbin
Thank you again, I found Steve83's Motorsport page and the 75-77 wiring diagram. Looks you basically had it correct, it's the 1 of the 3 wires that's not red and white. Can't wait to get it hooked up.