• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tailgate handle pivot bolt

malibubronco

I have the two plastic washers and the one wave washer needed for the tailgate pivot bolt and I just wanted to know which order they go and I have not seen anything that shows an actual diagram of where those washers go on the mechanism.If anybody has that information that would be great! Thanks

helo-mech

Not sure what year you need, but here is the manual for a 77. I'll look and see if I have any actual pictures from mine. If not, I am sure someone will chime in.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 10.15.17 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 10.15.17 PM.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 10.16.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 10.16.25 PM.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 28

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like that diagram should do the job. Wave/spring washer against the handle, one plastic (lock?) washer next, then the other one above it between the plate and lever.

Hope that works. Did mine just last year but did not take pics. I had the advantage of having just taken it apart and putting it back together the same afternoon.
Might consider adding some sort of treatment to silence the rods from rattling about inside the tailgate. Stuffing insulation, or surrounding them with rubber tubing to weigh them down maybe. Or even wrapping them in foam pipe insulation.

I still have to tweak the lengths. When the tailgate is latched the handle is not fully retracted by the spring. I'm sure that contributes to noise. Anything you can do inside and outside the tailgate and liftgate areas to reduce rattling over bumps is a good thing.

Paul