• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tire Carrier

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I need to find a new spare tire carrier capable of carrying 38" to 40" tire. I'd like to see what everyone else is using. Please post some pictures of your solutions.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
man these days it seems that people don't carry those tires any more, they use bead locks and leave the spare back in camp close by but not directly accessible. if it was my problem AI would keep it in the bed or a swing up cradle type mount. Hard to carry a tire and rim you cant lift any more.

OP
OP
Fitz24

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
man these days it seems that people don't carry those tires any more, they use bead locks and leave the spare back in camp close by but not directly accessible. if it was my problem AI would keep it in the bed or a swing up cradle type mount. Hard to carry a tire and rim you cant lift any more.

The weight is a real problem. Not getting any younger.

Carrying it in the back now but want to get a rear seat put back in. Swing down is a good idea but who makes one for the EBs?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I dont know anybody the makes them but at least you can get a tire in and out on them and then use an atv winch to pull it up. I had a friend will 44's on his jeep and the spare was so heavy the tire shop used a fork lift to get it up and down. he got rid of them after a year because he couldn't rotate the tires by him self. he went back down to 40's at least there 2 people can move them. it doesnt pay to have him for a friend when you end up cripple at 50 years old. He's pretty much stopped driving the jeep on the street any more.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Realistically, I would leave it at home. When was the last time anyone had a flat with a heavy tire that big on the street? Mine usually dry rot away before I ever use it anyway.

Also would save you some weight and fuel savings without driving around with that boat anchor..

OP
OP
Fitz24

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Realistically, I would leave it at home. When was the last time anyone had a flat with a heavy tire that big on the street? Mine usually dry rot away before I ever use it anyway.

Also would save you some weight and fuel savings without driving around with that boat anchor..

You're probably right. I did hit a curb years ago running 38" Gumbo Mudders. bent the rim lip and flattened tire. Limped home on a standard chevy truck spare tire. Just a little lopsided %)